Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

Off topic but please pass on my utmost appreciation for Jenn. Watching season seven GOT this afternoon I told my wife - "The dragons here are just as great as SMAUG."

My wife and I are both over 50 and we like Rey as well. It's a MOVIE it doesn't need to make sense in our world.

Ha. Will do. Tough watching with her last night as every comment she made I was like "WHAT DO YOU KNOW?!?!?!" - though she CLAIMS she never went to any dailies that would ruin the story.

I guess that's actually an option in that studio...

Oh and I asked her what she thought of the new trailer... her answer was "Rey's cute!... and now she has a hoodie!"

So there... something for everyone in Star Wars... including hoodies.

I just turned 31 so the first SW film I saw in theater was TPM, not my first contact with SW but never had I been so thriled after seeing a movie in my life until that point (I later saw the OT...:D), so yeah I'm a prequels kid (not that I like the PT so much mind you) and I have to say I'm not such a fan of Rey but I have absolutelly no problem with the character and I think it's one of the things done right in this ST, plus I do like Ridley, she's a fine actress.

I can agree with many of the points you bring up, but saying nobody likes the ST and it's a flop is not acknowledging the franchise has already made more money than it costed to buy from George (TFA 3rd best grossing film of all time $2billion, TLJ 11th $1,3billion, RO 29th $1billion...) not counting merchandise (increasing $1,5 billion a year), series, parks... and what's to come. Even by the infamous rotten tomatoes poll's standarts (only 44% like it) it's a bit of a stretch to say nobody likes it, and we might not know people who do IRL but there's more people coming to SW thanks to the ST, particularly women, younger people and other countries (apparently SW is slowly getting an audience in China for example, and they don't vote on rotten tomatoes[emoji38]). I just bring this up because I read time and again all over the internet that the ST ruined the franchise, and we might think that way but I'ld say that at least by Disney's execs standarts, they sure must believe they're doing a pretty good job. And they actually might not be so far from the truth in some aspects, just take the Mandalorian for example!...

But anyway, back on track, I see they're treading lightly with Episode 9, or rather treading heavily on fan service, but I think it's just a way to appease the more hardcore fans and reconcile them with the franchise so they go to the theaters come december, I don't think they will retcon TLJ at all, but just move forward. After all, except some deaths :rolleyes: it hasn't changed so much to the plot. JJ has an almost blank slate.
Some stuff I've read recently indicates Star Wars toy sales are actually down. And your Box office numbers are not total profit, so some adjustments are needed there.

Can't argue though - it IS making money. But it's not winning fans over the way it could have. Ruin the franchise? No, nothing can wreck the first 6. But they are ruining the future and the legacy of THIS trilogy, and to me, it seems they really don't know what to do, or, the wrong people are making decisions.

The mishandling of Solo is a perfect example. So, TFA is in the top 3 box office, yet Solo is the first SW to lose $ at the box office. What's the first thing they do? Come up with excuses. Oversaturation, fatigue... If they truly believe that, and that is their mindset - the cinematic portion of the franchise is in trouble. The fact that they're putting films on s hiatus after 9 backs this up.

And even in the absence of today's social media, Lucas indeed dealt with massive backlash. That it wasn't instantly broadcast to our phones doesn't really change much. The negativity spread as fast as it could through the media we were used to at the time, it was no secret how fans felt.

Have to say - in spite of that, Mando looks promising. Clone Wars final season too. So someone there seems to get it. If they can keep on that track, there may be hope.

I thought it was announced at $6.99

Oh if it’s that I can swing it! I fear something like 30 bucks a month, not worth it for me, I don’t have enough time to watch tv.

So paying a ridiculous price for something I don’t really watch doesn’t make it feasible for me

I never believed in the points people (youtubers) were trying to make with the action figure sales low, which in turn means a movie sucked

“Sales are low, that’s because the movie sucked”

Nooooo..

And for one, to set the facts straight I dislike TLJ...

What I believe is happening with these low toy sales is, kids aren’t kids anymore...

When I was a kid we played with action figures, my sister with dolls, my little pony... hair makeup all that kid stuff

Today kids are different.. and it’s been this way for a few years now

I just recently got a niece 5 years ago, and I’m seeing the same thing with her..

Before my niece I had my ex girlfriends nieces and nephews, 2 girls, 2 boys, from the oldest being 8, to the youngest being 4

When I would ask them what they wanted for Christmas, birthday, first communion I got the same damn answer every time

“IPAD”

NEVER!!! NEVER!! Did they ask for toys.. it was Ipads, or video games..

Once they got older, they wanted iTunes gift cards.. even the little one that was now 6, wanted iTunes gift cards (because my ex girlfriend and I ended up getting them the damn iPods... ipad is too rich for my blood)

My niece now is doing the same thing.. I refer to her as baby

“Baby what do you want Santa to bring you?”

“Ipad!!”

It’s crazy.. kids aren’t kids anymore.. they don’t play with barbies or action figures, or easy bake ovens..

I loved my creepy crawlers when I was a kid.. try and get a 6yr old interested in creepy crawlers.. they want call of duty..

Kids arent kids anymore... they don’t want to play game board games they want to swipe on the ipad..

It’s a shame..

So to believe toy sales are failing because a movie sucked, I don’t stand by that theory at all.. and I’m not a TLJ support one bit...

I follow a lot of the Star Wars toy collector websites. A big reason the toy sales sucked is because of the product b I got put out. They took TVC off the market and went with 5 poa. They were hoping that the 6” would take the place but the paint apps stunk. They finally brought back tvc and gave both them and the 6” photo realistic paint app technique. I believe you are going to see toy sales go up this year because Hasbro is finally listening to what buyers want.

I follow a lot of the Star Wars toy collector websites. A big reason the toy sales sucked is because of the product b I got put out. They took TVC off the market and went with 5 poa. They were hoping that the 6” would take the place but the paint apps stunk. They finally brought back tvc and gave both them and the 6” photo realistic paint app technique. I believe you are going to see toy sales go up this year because Hasbro is finally listening to what buyers want.

I think hasbro is in hot water.. with RI right beside me, the rumors are they are closing the doors here in RI...

Hasbro is one of the major things RI has going for it.. if they leave/close up RI is in big trouble

Yeah the ones buying the toys are collectors our age. Somewhere within the 25-50 year old age range. Kids don't care about action figures, vehicles or playsets when they can get toys that "play themselves" meaning they entertain the kids rather than having the kid play with the toys, use their imagination and entertain themselves.

With so many pages here now and unwilling to go through it all....just wondering, have they said anything about her light saber? Like, is it a new one that just happens to look like the old one, or what? Maybe Star Wars duct tape fixed it....

I never believed in the points people (youtubers) were trying to make with the action figure sales low, which in turn means a movie sucked

“Sales are low, that’s because the movie sucked”

Nooooo..

And for one, to set the facts straight I dislike TLJ...

What I believe is happening with these low toy sales is, kids aren’t kids anymore...

When I was a kid we played with action figures, my sister with dolls, my little pony... hair makeup all that kid stuff

Today kids are different.. and it’s been this way for a few years now

I just recently got a niece 5 years ago, and I’m seeing the same thing with her..

Before my niece I had my ex girlfriends nieces and nephews, 2 girls, 2 boys, from the oldest being 8, to the youngest being 4

When I would ask them what they wanted for Christmas, birthday, first communion I got the same damn answer every time

“IPAD”

NEVER!!! NEVER!! Did they ask for toys.. it was Ipads, or video games..

Once they got older, they wanted iTunes gift cards.. even the little one that was now 6, wanted iTunes gift cards (because my ex girlfriend and I ended up getting them the damn iPods... ipad is too rich for my blood)

My niece now is doing the same thing.. I refer to her as baby

“Baby what do you want Santa to bring you?”

“Ipad!!”

It’s crazy.. kids aren’t kids anymore.. they don’t play with barbies or action figures, or easy bake ovens..

I loved my creepy crawlers when I was a kid.. try and get a 6yr old interested in creepy crawlers.. they want call of duty..

Kids arent kids anymore... they don’t want to play game board games they want to swipe on the ipad..

It’s a shame..

So to believe toy sales are failing because a movie sucked, I don’t stand by that theory at all.. and I’m not a TLJ support one bit...
The big toy shop near me has 2 long aisles, chock full of action figures and sets. Everything from TMNT, WWE, DC and Marvel, Mimions, Jurassic world, Transformers. In amongst that is about 2 half metre shelves of Star Wars. Its so small you can miss it. I do. Takes me forever.
And what they do have is crap.
I'm not buying, kids arent into figures anymore. A big chain store wouldnt stuff its shelves full of them from every other franchise if it wasnt a money spinner.

As much as I dislike TLJ, I don't think that it is the reason for drops in sales.
I went to the midnight force friday sale before TFA, and came out with nothing but disappointment. The merch has been off in quality and choice since the start of the new trilogy.

With so many pages here now and unwilling to go through it all....just wondering, have they said anything about her light saber? Like, is it a new one that just happens to look like the old one, or what? Maybe Star Wars duct tape fixed it....

Nothing yet

I haven't read anything official about the lightsaber, but if you watched the panel Daisy said the Skywalker lightsaber 'lives' so I think we can take that to mean it was repaired and put back together with the new clamp. I think it looks pretty sharp, a fun variation on the original.

I personally dig the look of the reformed Graflex. I'm not crazy about the Kylo Ren style belt clip, though for Kylo's saber I think it looks cool. Aside from that I love the variation on the Graflex saber.

I look forward to making the new Rey saber... neat that we KNOW where they got the graflex replicas... pretty easy to get accurate, heh.

Then please stop using the graflex. I can only have so many variations.

I personally dig the look of the reformed Graflex. I'm not crazy about the Kylo Ren style belt clip, though for Kylo's saber I think it looks cool. Aside from that I love the variation on the Graflex saber.

I don't think it's actually the Kylo style. It's looks to be a slot in the grip and slips over the belt. As she doesn't seem to have any kind of attachment point on her belt.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back