Studio Scale Snowspeeder 1:10 Scratchbuilt

I have rebuilt the diffusors with 3mm styrene sheets.

064-D68-F6-5428-4-E16-A58-C-FBEEEECB5-F7-C.jpg

B2719-B2-C-30-C5-4-D17-AF7-D-C37-AAA0-EBC38.jpg

FA219-B18-365-D-4-DB2-9-EE0-E668-AD008-AE7.jpg

Another terrific update Mark . I’m in awe of how much detail you invest into each and every component !.. (y)
Speaking of , I’ve had difficulty when cutting out (multiple) identical shapes i.e, vertical support pylons for my Deago MF build - out of 1.5mm styrene sheet with a steel ruler and hobby knife/scalpel.
Could you please share what method/s and tools you’re using to cut multiples so consistently like the diffusers above , especially considering they’re cut from 3mm styrene sheet !?

Cheers Ged.

Another terrific update Mark . I’m in awe of how much detail you invest into each and every component !.. (y)
Speaking of , I’ve had difficulty when cutting out (multiple) identical shapes i.e, vertical support pylons for my Deago MF build - out of 1.5mm styrene sheet with a steel ruler and hobby knife/scalpel.
Could you please share what method/s and tools you’re using to cut multiples so consistently like the diffusers above , especially considering they’re cut from 3mm styrene sheet !?

Cheers Ged.

Thanks a lot Ged, this is very friendly of you!

I have attached a picture of the knife and metal ruler (Hasegawa) I always use, nothing else.

For the diffuser I am cutting out as many angular plastic sheets as I need. They have all identical shape and measurements. After this I have used sandpaper (400) and dragged each angular sheet with the edge over the sandpaper and turned it at the same time around to get the round shape. Than I am holding them beside each other to see if they look the same. If not I repeat the dragging over the sandpaper.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Mark

44232-C78-52-B3-424-E-9-F76-49-E6376-E4-E35.jpg

Thanks Mark , appreciate your help.
Guess I’ll be investing in a heavier duty modelling knife , the ones I primarily use are the standard ‘exacto’ and scalpel blade types , which can be difficult on your wrist/hands when applying pressure on thicker styrene , repeatedly.
I’ve tried the sanding paper method also, but in this case (for my particular MF hold parts) I had placed them - when they’d all been cut - into a tabletop mini vice and sanded to shape using beauty nail files ! :lol:

Cheers Ged

Thanks Mark , appreciate your help.
Guess I’ll be investing in a heavier duty modelling knife , the ones I primarily use are the standard ‘exacto’ and scalpel blade types , which can be difficult on your wrist/hands when applying pressure on thicker styrene , repeatedly.
I’ve tried the sanding paper method also, but in this case (for my particular MF hold parts) I had placed them - when they’d all been cut - into a tabletop mini vice and sanded to shape using beauty nail files ! :lol:

Cheers Ged[/QUOTE

The beauty nail file can work as well, especially when the styrene is thin. However I recommend sandpaper, something between 400 and 800 strength, just try it.

Regarding the knife it should be definitely a heavier one. The blades can be changed easily and if they are fresh they are sharp enough to cut also smaller parts.

Cheers
Mark

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back