Limited Run THE BOYS "Temp" V Vials - with custom painted lid

Astyanax

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all!

I am offering a few highly authentic looking replicas of the "Temp V" vial from The Boys as a pre-painted kit with GLASS vial!

PXL_20240724_233254896.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

RUN #1 RESERVATIONS
  1. Astyanax
  2. Starganderfish (shipped)
  3. Starganderfish (shipped)
  4. Tuckanator (shipped)
  5. Tuckanator (shipped)
  6. Tuckanator (shipped)
  7. CaptainEpic77 (shipped)
  8. slimgiggity (shipped)
  9. SoggySandwich (waiting, pending Compound V vial availability)
  10. DarthPlatypus (shipped)
  11. DarthPlatypus (shipped)
  12. Pallando (contacted)
HISTORY:

After some moderate success with the 10mL Blue Compound V Vial run, I was asked several times to offer the smaller "Temp V" vials as well.

I did quite a bit of research of photo references and measuring of protoype shapes...

The-Boys-S3E1-V24.jpg PXL_20240629_180101928.jpg PXL_20240629_180039273.jpg

...and I have concluded that the Wheaton one-milliliter "V-Vial®" is a perfect match!

compare1.jpg compare2.jpg compare3.jpg

As with the larger blue vials, these glass vials with the conical internal bottom are not only insanely expensive, but also only sold in cases of quantity. It appears that Wheaton has a patent/trademark on the "V-Vial®", which means they can set the price, as is quite common in the medical and scientific industries. No wonder they waved those vials around in the show so much; they're elite!

I plan to gauge interest in a mini-run of these and do a group buy from Fisher Scientific Zoro (best price I could find) and offer them individually. I'm not looking to make a profit; I just want one for myself! I checked eBay, Amazon, Etsy, all the usual suspects, and there doesn't seem to be anything better out there. And these are shiny and new!

SPECS:

After much searching and research, I have concluded that the Boys V-Vials are 1 mL in size, which is the smallest available. Specs from Wheaton are as follows:
  • Outer Diameter: 13 mm (~1/2")
  • Height: 44mm (~1-3/4")
  • Capacity: 1 mL
  • Material: Borosilicate Glass, Type 1
They come with a 13-425 screw-top rubber-lined black phenolic screw cap faced with PTFE. The lids are partially ridged:

Grainger_rxxwxximagexxw986254ngxx1xxbc0951.jpg

Additional tech specs can be found here.

PRICE:

Price is $20 USD for each vial kit,
free shipping in the US, $10 FLAT to ship rest-of world. Shipping is combined for multiple vials.

WHAT YOU GET:

I am also providing a painted, resin 3D printed lid that more closely matches the TV show (at no extra cost). It will be finished as follows:

• Airbrush in high-gloss black, then
  • airbrush Alclad II Polished Aluminum, then
  • airbrush Alclad Aqua-Gloss clearcoat.
Therefore, you will receive:
  • 1 x 1 mL glass V-Vial with closure
  • 2 x resin 3d-printed custom lids (1 finished, 1 unfinished)
  • 1 x o-ring (R-04, AS568 #011, 5/16" ID, 7/16" OD)
  • 6 x pre-cut self-adhesive vinyl dots
View attachment 1833943

HOW TO ASSEMBLE:

Simply insert the provided o-ring into the painted lid, add your liquid, and screw on tightly to ensure an airtight seal.

You'll have to provide the blue or green Compound V fluid yourself, but this is my recommended recipe:
  • 50% distilled or RO water
  • 50% ISO alcohol (to prevent fungus)
  • 1-2 drops glycerin (to prevent settling)
  • Food coloring to preference (1 drop is too much for 1mL...make a large batch!)
REFERENCES:

TempV.jpg the-boys-is-temp-v-deadly.jpg Karl-Urban-as-Billy-Butcher-and-Compound-V-in-The-Boys.jpg The-Boys-S3E1-V24.jpg Untitled-2000-1000-px-64.jpg V24_Boys.jpg V24_Vials.PNG.jpg

HOW TO ORDER:

If you're interested, please DM me or post a reply to this thread; I will add your name to the Reservations list above.

I will not take any payment until the supply is in-hand, and I will provide photos (with painted caps) in this thread as proof that I have them ready to go. I will ask for payment at that time. Once I have done so, you will have ONE WEEK to provide payment or your reservation may go to someone else!

TURNAROUND TIME:

It takes as much as a month for Zoro to ship me the vials, so I will keep you posted in the thread. Once I have the vials, I will be taking payments and shipping daily!

WHAT'S NEXT:

If there are more requests after the current run is completed, I may consider another run.

The vials of blue Compound V are much larger and offered in another run thread. Only the smaller vials for green "temp" V are being offered in this thread.

Thanks for your consideration!
Bill

Last edited:
I have just been notified that the vials are on their way and should be here in less than a week!

I also have a prototype lid printing right now, but it's guesswork without a vial to test on.

First prototype print of the Temp V lid:

PXL_20240711_161114467.jpg PXL_20240711_161125717.jpg

The "septum" on top is the same size as for the larger vials (8mm diameter).
Won't know how it fits till the vials get here!

All right, it took six iterations, but I have a lid that fits!

Doing a 2-day test to see if it remains airtight with the o-ring in place. That's 91% isopropyl alcohol in there:

PXL_20240719_145518736.jpg

If the level stays the same we're golden!
Bill

Its kinda weird how in some pics the lid looks like it has the same width in proportion to the bottles width as the compound v bottle. But in others like the main closeups it clearly looks like it has a bigger 'overhang'. Or is this just my imagination?

Its kinda weird how in some pics the lid looks like it has the same width in proportion to the bottles width as the compound v bottle. But in others like the main closeups it clearly looks like it has a bigger 'overhang'. Or is this just my imagination?

Totally agree, I think there were a couple different props, although shadows are very much playing tricks with us too. I think there are more shots of the bigger overhang (19mm wide) than the smaller (especially in closeups), so that's what I'm going with. The bottle is 13mm in diameter.

These were my measuring shots:

1721445992392.png 1721446016446.png

Starting with the 13mm provided by the absolute size of the vial, I used that to scale the other dimensions. And that results in a lid that is 19mm in diameter and 11mm high.

Yeah your probably right, Ive also been rewatching the show and just noticed the first compound v closeup we see (S1 Ep8) has a lid with ribs on it. My guess this is just the stock lid painted. But then it definately changed from season 2 onwards to most likely a custom lid, just like youve replicated.

But yeah I think youve done great work trying to size these as accurately as possible. And going with the more frequently and clearly seen bigger overhang version i totally agree with.

Attachments

• 20240720_213842.jpg
    20240720_213842.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • 20240720_213856.jpg
    20240720_213856.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
Confirmed, the lids are nice and airtight, although I will recommend giving the o-ring a thin coating of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) or silicone grease before using it. This ensures a tight seal.

Painting lids this week!

Lids have been sanded, primed, fine-sanded, and washed. They won't be touched again by human hands until they're finished!

PXL_20240723_163607021.jpg

Next step: Alclad II black gloss base via airbrush.

Lids have been painted in black gloss:

PXL_20240723_195323962.jpg

Next step: Tomorrow they'll get airbrushed in polished aluminum, and clearcoated.

Some of the caps came out okay, most didn't. These are the good ones:

PXL_20240724_231808682.MP.jpg

It'll be 2-3 more days while I print a few more and try for better.
Thanks for your patience!

Looking to finish painting lids today, for potentially shipping out tomorrow. Watch for a DM from me!

Back