"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

... My resulting list of such things The Orville has not done is pretty short:

You are correct, there is no transporter, and they have not used the "captain's log" as a way to introduce an episode, or to cover events over a span of time that occurs in the episode.

That said, they've certainly started with the same "intro" like you would get from a captains log, just by cutting to two crew members somewhere on the ship saying stuff like "man, I can't wait for this cargo run to alpha-X to be over. this is way to close to Krill space for my liking"

One thing that they HAVE used, that star trek never used as often, or as nonchalantly, is the cloaking device. I suppose if that part was "stolen" from anywhere, it'd be Stargate Atlantis, with their stealth puddle jumpers.

They also, notably, don't have any sort of "magical mcguffin fuel" like dylithium crystals (there was one episode where they come across an element useful for making fuel, but it wasn't the be all end all), nor have they gone out of their way to explain exactly what in the engineering area may or may not be part of the reactor. That set simply has "techno stuff" along certain parts of the walls and rising up from the floor. Some of it may be attached to the drives, some may be generator, some may be backup AC units. they've left the concept be.

Frankly, they also seem to have medical tech way in advance of the TNG standard. where the act of growing back a human limb is seen as a nuisance, not a life altering event.

I'm pretty sure TNG had the occasional "wounded war hero" show up that was all maimed.

Last edited:
oh shoot! last week's (3/21) episode was new??
I thought it was a 3 week break and the new ones started this thursday (3/27)

Have to catch it on the Fox app.

I am trying to remember if Captain Mercer had his shirt torn during a fight scene ...

You know, I think early on he rips his lapel or the very front layer of his uniform off some when he takes a bag off his shoulder, tries to stick it back on, fails, and sighs. I think he may also complain about a ripped uniform when he gets shot the first (only?) time.

I don’t think I’ve ever once thought to myself “You know what would make this multi faceted space and ground battle better is some ‘9 to 5’ by Dolly Parton.”

Holy cow did it ever work though!!!!!!!

Another great episode to me, with once again a situation that our crew didn’t really win...but like was said at the end, they didn’t really lose, either.

It’s been said in this thread before and I’ll echo it here again...Moclus seems to have values so different from the union that it’s hard to see them not coming into serious conflict eventually. I think it was touched on tonight with the concept of “but we need their weapons,” which can have a parallel drawn to certain countries that have alliances with one another despite vastly different ideas about the way people should be treated. It’s hard to discuss what I mean without delving a bit into a hole that could turn political, so I’ll just hope you guys and ladies understand the parallel I’m thinking of.

I also feel like we will eventually see Bortus and Klyden parting ways at some point in time. They just seem to have very different opinions on very important matters.

Overall, another winner of an episode for me.

Oh, and Kelly kicks ass. She needs more time planetside with a gun in her hands.

Last edited:
I don’t think I’ve ever once thought to myself “You know what would make this multi faceted space and ground battle better is some ‘9 to 5’ by Dolly Parton.”

Holy cow did it ever work though!!!!!!!

Another great episode to me, with once again a situation that our crew didn’t really win...but like was said at the end, they didn’t really lose, either.

It’s been said in this thread before and I’ll echo it here again...Moclus seems to have values so different from the union that it’s hard to see them not coming into serious conflict eventually. I think it was touched on tonight with the concept of “but we need their weapons,” which can have a parallel drawn to certain countries that have alliances with one another despite vastly different ideas about the way people should be treated. It’s hard to discuss what I mean without delving a bit into a hole that could turn political, so I’ll just hope you guys and ladies understand the parallel I’m thinking of.

I also feel like we will eventually see Bortus and Klyden parting ways at some point in time. They just seem to have very different opinions on very important matters.

Overall, another winner of an episode for me.

Oh, and Kelly kicks ass. She needs more time planetside with a gun in her hands.

Unfortunately, that makes no sense. If Moclus is so powerful, why do they need the protection of the Union in the first place? Why can't the Union just reverse engineer Mochlan tech? It can't be that hard. We really haven't seen any reason why Moclus developed such powerful weapons in the first place. What wars drove that development? It just seems too convenient.

Another great episode!
Directed by Frakes and Marina as a guest star...awesome!

The battle with the ships tango'ing to 9to5 was great.

At this point though, I'm totally ok with not revisiting Moclus for awhile.

Sad that someone known for slapstick and whatever you call Family Guy (just saying i don't think it's slapstick) can do trek vastly better than the people actually doing trek. It's not even remotely close.

If whomever is running that stuff had a brain, they'd dump their stuff and poach Seth to start up a new trek. They don't, so that won't happen, and as much I don't trust Fox with scifi, i'd hope they'd tell CBS to bleep off if they tried :)

Am I the only one not surprised by 9-5? Honestly, it started playing in the shuttle, and my first thought was "they're using this song wrong. You're only allowed to play 9-5 on a tv show during extended periods of extreme violence."

I think it must be in the licensing agreement, because it's the only times I've ever seen it used.

I just rewatched the episode with Isaac wearing the wife beater and it had me laughing harder than the first time I watched it. I wish they would release some official merchandise.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back