"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

I just rewatched the episode with Isaac wearing the wife beater and it had me laughing harder than the first time I watched it. I wish they would release some official merchandise.
Fantastic Plastic released a very accurate Orville resin kit and got hit with a C&D very quickly- my hope is that they might be clearing the playing field for some official licensed products...

I noticed in the scenes with Isaac they just had him doing his job- no personal interaction as with the other characters on the bridge.

Well, there was kind of a thing... Even the bridge crew are probably still not in the mood to be buddy buddy.

Plus, pretty much all his old talking points are "I wish to learn more about you" or other crew saying "you should learn about this".

That's no longer his mission. And people no longer feel inclined to expose him to learning moments.

Sad that someone known for slapstick and whatever you call Family Guy (just saying i don't think it's slapstick) can do trek vastly better than the people actually doing trek. It's not even remotely close.
It feels pretty evident that the Discovery production have been doing a lot this season to make up for it. Still not even close, aside from Captain Pike and Saru, while the Orville production has raised the bar even higher. In addition to all the slapstick and weird humor, they've (successfully) progressed to stories with a larger scale. (Discovery would be better if they just continued with Pike and the Enterprise from here on in, and eventually end it with Pike handing over the chair to Kirk. Get Shatner in now to read some lines for it and do some de-aging on him when the time comes.) It's also great to see the Orville tackling certain themes without some of the constraints that Trek has had in the past.

It feels pretty evident that the Discovery production have been doing a lot this season to make up for it. Still not even close, aside from Captain Pike and Saru, while the Orville production has raised the bar even higher. In addition to all the slapstick and weird humor, they've (successfully) progressed to stories with a larger scale. (Discovery would be better if they just continued with Pike and the Enterprise from here on in, and eventually end it with Pike handing over the chair to Kirk. Get Shatner in now to read some lines for it and do some de-aging on him when the time comes.) It's also great to see the Orville tackling certain themes without some of the constraints that Trek has had in the past.

I don't think that the state of deaging tech is up to deaging Shatner. I mean, the man's got to be about 100 pounds heavier than he was during TOS, they'd need to do a Tarkin and get a body double that they can put a CG version of his younger self's face over.

First things first...Bortus and Klyden dancing was hilarious.

I really liked the central concept of this episode...like if I could go back 7 years with the knowledge I have now and apply it to my relationship with my wife...would we somehow have a better relationship, or are the trials and tribulations, the arguments and disagreements, all part of what makes our relationship great as it is? Essentially that’s the opportunity that Ed had with Past Kelly.

The end really threw me off. Will that end up changing the dynamic between Kelly and Ed in our timeline? Or will we see that the way that we saw Kelly respond to Ed’s call seven years ago is how it actually happened? I don’t think we heard how she responded, only that she said he called really early and had no game. I fully expected her to just be like “Hey, what’s up?” but instead they certainly played it like Past Kelly remembered her time in the future...or, are they telling us that the time travel here brought Past Kelly from an alternate timeline, one where she didn’t plan on going out with Ed again?? That doesn’t seem like the case, as Past Kelly was really interested in dating Ed again on the ship...

Last edited:
When they showed the Season Finally (oops finale), were all the video snippets from the finally or were some from earlier episodes
cut in?
The reason I ask is this:
Past Kelly returns?
past kelly.jpg

Last edited:
When they showed the Season Finally, were all the video snippets from the finally or were some from earlier episodes
cut in?
The reason I ask is this:
Past Kelly returns?

I watched that multiple times, and I think most of those scenes were taken from earlier episodes this season.

There were only a couple that I didn’t remember.

I loved the episode and can't wait to see how past Kelly turning down the 2nd date with Ed plays out for current Ed and Kelly.

Yea. from a "belly laugh" point of view, the fun thing is to have Kelly be in command, Ed have been busted back down to Lt., Yaffit in charge of engineering, stuff like that, and having nothing working out well. have an episode that essentially explores the "what if's" of the crew.

I'm not sure they're willing to go full whole hog on how things would change. Gordon would be absent from the crew, there'd be no Xelayan security officer, the doctor and Bortis would likely be dead based on times that Ed allowed folks to bend/break the rules on saving their lives. And the biggy, Humanity would have been wiped clean from earth by the Kaylon, because Ed being in command was the tent pole in all the events that allowed for human/krill alliance. Not sure they'd go full "judgement day" and have the Orville be part of some rag tag resistance.

I’m guessing they’ll go with the whole “alternate timelines” idea, and when Past Kelly made the call not to go out with Ed again, it created a universe that is different than the one we’ve been watching. In our universe, Kelly always did choose to go out with Ed that second time.

I’ve seen people online suggesting that Past Kelly actually came from an alternate timeline where she never was going to go out with Ed again, but that fails to address the fact that on the ship she certainly was interested in Ed. If Past Kelly has no interest in pursuing a relationship with Ed, it would be logical to think she’d not want to date him on the ship.

My thinking is they didn’t wipe her memory correctly and she chose not to go out with Ed again and remembers everything that happened, and she’ll move along in her own separate timeline from ours.

It’s also, however, entirely possible that we’ll start the next episode with Ed talking to Kelly about how he can’t believe she said she didn’t want to see him after their first date, and how he had to bug her a bunch to get her to agree to another date, and the reaction we saw to his 9am phone call was exactly what always happened.

Ugh...time travel. :lol:

what if seth got super sick of see'n everyone get time travel wrong.
so he's like "hold my beer!"
and changes the whole backstory of the show in the next episode just to show what would really happen if you messed with the time line even by just one event.

that would be some insanely bold writing and i'm hoping it happens lol

Just watched the last episode. And I'm now worried. Remember a few episodes ago with Gordon and the simulation of the woman on the phone? Remember what Kelly said? Without Ed, there'd be no Orville. The same is true without Kelly. Think about it: Ed only got command because Kelly put a word in for him, mostly out of regret for cheating on him. If she's never has a relationship with Ed, then that means Ed doesn't get a command, Gordon still stays on suspension, Finn never transfer to the Orville, Bortus never finds out Klyden was once female and willing goes along with the gender reassignment of their kid, all the female Moclans end up being converted, LaMarr is still playing dumb (or worse, lobotomized), a whole lot of people are dead (the scientists from the first episode, the two colonies Ed and Company saved from the Krill), and the two worse possible scenarios: Pria (remember her?) successfully steals the Orville and it's not there to stop the Kaylon (and since Isaac doesn't meet Finn, that means there's no one stopping the Kaylon from wiping out all living things, and without Kelly and Gordon to get the Krill involved, they sit it out until the Kaylon wipe them out). This is the worst Butterfly Effect scenario ever seen in any form of fiction.

Additional Edit: I just posted this in the WMG section of the Orville page on TV Tropes. I think this may be setting up next season to have it where the crew realize something's wrong and they have to go back and correct the timeline.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back