Limited Run The Orville Pistol MAJOR UPDATE & LAST CALL

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
*RUN INFORMATION UPDATE JULY 9th*
og.jpg

LAST CALL IF YOU WANT ELECTRONICS! THE RUN IS NOW ON.

With the fantastic production reference we were given access to this has become a dead-on replica, I dare say almost comparable to a direct casting of a real prop, but with several added bonuses.

Features of the kit:

• Made from pro-grade 'engineering' resin with razor-sharp details in shape and form and a smooth surface. This resin is more durable than 'standard' print resins and is easily glued with epoxy or cyanoacrylate superglue.
  • All kits will include the correct internal spring-loaded pushbutton for the moving trigger.
  • You have the option to get the grips done in dark grey rubberized resin. (The difficulty and high failure rate in printing the rubber is why they are an optional extra.)
  • The optional electronics addon has a flashing muzzle, light-up color-shifting display, sounds and buttons for kill, stun, cigarette lighting (!) and more... including 'easter eggs'. ; ) Electronics will need soldering and assembly but include most of what you need.
Costs:
  • Resin kit only: $275 US
  • Resin kit+Electronics addon $485* US (* 99% final at this time...)
  • Rubber grip addon: $25 US (we're kinda gambling on this cost... it might end up costing us more than that to make them.)
  • Shipping will be $15 to anywhere. (Note: depending on how this goes, the cost may have to go up after the first batch of prints.)

The costs are calculated with the hope that a good number of those who expressed interest (which weren't that many to begin with) will actually end up getting one, or we might not cover all the R&D costs.

I realize that it's not 'cheap', but we actually brought the base kit in at LESS than the original estimate! To get the best quality prints possible, we have to push some boundaries, which causes machine stress and errors that are costly. Between myself and the programmer (who is not into props, but has worked on actual space missions) we've spent hundreds of hours on it. Personally, I am immensely proud of how well it came together from an 'engineering' standpoint.

Final assembled piece after painting:

RGB LED can switch between blue, purple and red.

Electronics 'teaser':

Photo of the kit just 'pressed together' (i.e. not glued yet).
upload_2019-4-26_8-39-7.png

HOW TO GET ONE (please read carefully):
If you
want a kit send me a PM ASAP titled "ORVILLE KIT". Let me know if you want electronics or not and I'll send payment info. Kits have begin printing and will be sent out in order of payment. Note: these kits will take many weeks to get done and shipped.

Note: Electronics kits will probably not be offered later- at least not at this cost, because we will only order a specific number of parts!

If you have questions, please feel free to send a PM, or ask here or in the thread.

Some build tips (and an electronics diagram) will be sent out once they start shipping.

For general, continuous updates on my own buildup... feel free to follow the build thread!

Finally: my very sincere thanks again for all the praise and support.

Initial posting (hidden in a spoiler tag):
Since I'm totally loving The Orville and finally have enough good reference to do an accurate copy, I'll be making a kit of the pistol and doing a limited run. The plan is to have a moving trigger and make it hollow for electronics, possibly even including electronics. Tentative cost will be anywhere between 300-400 for a resin print, Electronics would add 150-200 to the total cost if they are as advanced as I'd like them (and would be optional).

Current target is for this kit to be available Spring or Early Summer 2019

*update* The finished kit, printed in resin. (Parts are just stuck together in this photo, not glued yet.)

Those of you who have seen my past kits (if not, click my signature) know the time I spend trying to get even the smallest details right.

Special note:
I am considering a new routine in the kits I do going forward, focusing even more strongly than before on accuracy/quality and only doing a few of each kit to make them special. (I only ever do kits if they can offer or accomplish something in terms of accuracy or features that others don't).

Last edited:
Pending pictures and final cost, I might be persuaded if I have the money after Christmas.
Good luck with the 3d model.
Your Starlord blaster and Map Scanner were great.

Very very tempted subject to further details etc.......interested to see if you can open this jar of pickles!!;)

Last edited:
Not a whole lot yet... blocking out ideas and studying reference details. I'm still knee-deep working on the K Blade Runner kit, which I was hoping to have done by now, but work and life have been keeping me from being able to go at full steam. I AM doing it though, because the show is wonderful... and I just recently got some new ref for it. (I'm also thinking of the other pistol as well.) Just trying to not do too many things at once and I don't want to rush it just to "get it done" because that's how things end up missing details.

I am now back to working on this. It may actually end up being a pilot project for something rather sweet I have in the works...

I'm absolutely doing it. Just been swamped with work the last few weeks (even traveling) and doing experiments and tests with the new printer to determine the best material to use. Once I have a little breathing room I'll get back to modeling it up.

//Joe

Maybe this will help
orv-pm44-jpg.1015154

Attachments

• patrick-beals-orv-pm44.jpg
    patrick-beals-orv-pm44.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 1,567
Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back