Limited Run The Orville Pistol MAJOR UPDATE & LAST CALL

I really need get back to this one and finish it up soon. The main delay is that I was trying a new modeling technique, which means I have to do extra testing and re-doing... and I just haven't had the mental extra energy for it. But Season 2 is upon us so....!

Any kind of guess at a time frame Joe?
This is one of those situations where I'm kind of waiting for a "moment of clarity" in a couple areas- not in terms of reference material or details, but how I want to set a couple things up. And I've been going a little back-and-forth, not really satisfied. But I might be onto something now... so maybe Feb-April... if I keep the momentum and so long as nothing else needs extra attention since I'm doing a few other things right now.

(I'll also probably do the communicator now that I can print clear parts as well.)

I'm strongly thinking about doing the grips in a rubber-like resin too, but since I haven't used it before there's a startup cost and I might want another prop or two to justify the investment.

Another thing I might look into is doing an electronics kit with a tiny LCD screen for the top of the gun.

I've invested in a rubberized resin setup now. I wanted to try it on Drax's knives from Guardians of the Galaxy as well as this, so I could justify the cost. Looks like it might be viable for the grips.

I've invested in a rubberized resin setup now. I wanted to try it on Drax's knives from Guardians of the Galaxy as well as this, so I could justify the cost. Looks like it might be viable for the grips.
That's awesome to hear, I really think it'll come in handy for alot of projects like this.

Hold on one minute now. I clearly read Drax's knives. Um huh holding back on me hhhmmmm just kidding ..we need to talk

Hold on one minute now. I clearly read Drax's knives. Um huh holding back on me hhhmmmm just kidding ..we need to talk

Well, there is a thread in the Marvel section...!

That's awesome to hear, I really think it'll come in handy for alot of projects like this.
I think so. It doesn't do small details very well though... and the support points are pretty large (1.6mm compared to 0.47mm on the grey) so there's more post-processing involved, but oddly enough... it sands very well even though it's soft!

I AM working on this whenever I can. Just really want to get the upper grip area right and I've restarted them a couple times now.
upload_2019-2-26_23-38-3.png

I'm also talking more with my programmer buddy about electronics. Maybe a flashing LED in the barrel, stun/kill setting and a super-tiny display on the top IF we can get everything to fit. (It would add a fair bit to the cost though... maybe even double it unless a lot of folks want 'em... so might not be worth it for most. We'll have to look into it.)

I'd be happy with a simple backlit screen that can switch between red or blue led.
We've looked around a bit and it's proving difficult to find a display that will fit. It needs to be around 25mmX15mm and there is very little extra room around it. Most displays are either not a good size or have a couple extra mm of circuit board around them. A backup plan is to do a hard-printed stencil that can be hidden with a 'clear smoke' window and lit by a color-changing led.

I did some work on the grip this weekend and made a little progress on the grip.

That sounds perfect and honestly probably is how the real prop operates.
There are three buttons on the gun below the screen, I envisioned the larger button would be the on/off switch for the screens LED, and the left and right button will switch between red or blue light.

Still plugging away. Note that every single edge, curve and detail is still changing as I sculpt, so this is still to be regarded as very rough.
upload_2019-3-7_21-57-51.png

I'd love to sneak in a tiny speaker in there somewhere, but there is not a lot of extra space, so we'll see.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back