The Road Warrior

Rocket Raccoon

Hey guys!
Since I registrated here, I never posted something related to costume work.
Now, I've been working on this costume for several months now, and it's still not really completed. The boots are some cheap faux leather boots, and don't look like some Rossiters, but they do their job right now.
So, as I said it's not really completed yet and I want more accuracy. :p

IMG_20140922_164425.jpgIMG_20140922_164457.jpgIMG_20140922_164513.jpgIMG_20140922_164520.jpgIMG_20140922_164530.jpgIMG_20140922_164543.jpgIMG_20140922_164554.jpg

What's missing is:
-the red rag
-knife
-binoculars
-gloves

The shotgun is a (at first cheap but then not so cheap) softair. It was bright neon orange, so I changed that with some wood decal foil and silver paint.
Then I built the plate from scratch, just from looking at movie stills and photos of old football pads. It's a metalplate with some putty material on it, then sprayed flat black.But I want to change it into a real one or maybe a recast from the real one.
The leg brace was also built totally from scratch, using some flat aluminium rods, rivets and some flat washers.
It's great to walk with the brace, because it doesn't really interrupt you from walking normal. I still have to figure out, how to properly attach it to the boot, because when I was wearing the costume last month, the brace pretty much slipped from my leg every ten minutes...
And I'm really proud to have the MFP 4073 pin on the jacket, even though it wasn't really visible in the movie.
Oh and here's a picture of me and the German Vault Hunters at the gamescom '14 :)
(I didn't have the ripped shirt then, so I was wearing the Mad Max Game Shirt from last years gamescom. :D )
1669912_730895560316627_6155807164056361193_o.jpg

So, I was wearing my costume for this years Fasching, here's a quick photo of me that I've snapped before going out:

mm.jpg
I also added the gloves and shortened the rag (which I also smeared with some black paint after the photo was taken), and I'm wearing the teared shirt underneath the jacket.
But I think I need to get a real football shoulderplate, so I can replace my selfmade one. It's a bit risky, because it's made out of metal, and I don't want to hurt somebody with it, while wearing the costume.

Last week I got a shoulderplate replica from our fellow user Karol and I finally got some time to put it onto the jacket:
jacket_back.jpg jacket_front.jpg

I hope you like it as much as I do! :)

The jacket looks very good with the accurate shoulderpad!

Darf man fragen welche Schrotflinte du benutzt hast? Antwort gern per PN.

in the road warrior the mfp badge was stamped metal and was riveted on,apart from that very cool

Last edited:
The hardest part putting this costume together is getting the nerve to weather it up to the proper level. I'm still not happy with how clean mine looks in pictures.

Slowly but steady!

Today arrived my Gerber knife casting from Nickatron props! I just need to clean it a bit and paint it black. Maybe I'll add even some details on the actual blade, so it looks like the real one. :)
WP_20151022_001.jpg

Not a lot of progress, but eventually I'll get to the finish line.
My plan is to finish the belt now (I need to get my hands on these old firemen tools and pockets!) and getting some pair of fitting boots. My current boots are just plain wrong, but back when I started this project almost two years ago ( I started this thread way later) they seem to be fine. Now I want some accurate ones and of course I can add the knife to them.

And then, the costume will be actually finished. And hopefully as close to the original as I can get it. :)

I love your outfit! I've been wanting to try out a Road Warrior outfit myself. Nice job on the leg brace!
Thanks! :D

that is the costume that i want to be my first, any tips on where i should looks for the parts
You should definitely check out www.madmaxcostumes.com ! It's the best source of identified parts you gonna need for that costume.
This is the place I got the shoulderpad from. For all the other parts I looked around the web and different stores. For example I bought the pants and boots in a biker store. It's the easiest way to get such leather pants, and you get some nice quality, too!
The jacket is from ebay, so are the belt and gun. All the other parts i.e. holster, leg brace and various belts I made myself.

It's fasching/carnival again, and after getting really cold last year I thought I change the costume a little bit.
I want the Thunderdome version, which is almost the same outfit as in Road Warrior, just with some small details changed.
Max wears the jacket now open and underneath a black tunic with long sleeves. The old Sam Browne leather Belt has been switched to an leather harness (the Valkyrie wears the same in Fury Road) and the leg brace has gone, just like one MFP boot.

The fact that I only have one week left makes things a little bit hard.
For the belt I still want to use the old Sam Browne, but with the shoulder strap detached. I need a black tunic and I bet I can find one cheap thing from another costume or I buy some fabric. It'll work either way.
My legbrace is fixed at the boot, so I need to change both and I can't get around getting some cheap cowboyboots.

I think that the changes will look ok to me and the character will still be recognizable.

Due to my internship at a local ad agency I was able to get some nice photos of my costume! :)

IMG_2927.jpgIMG_2932.jpgIMG_2934.jpgIMG_2935.jpgIMG_2936.jpgIMG_2939.jpgIMG_2941.jpgIMG_2943.jpgIMG_2944.jpg

Some parts are still missing, but I found some local leatherworks and maybe the can help me with the last two missing belt pockets.

Good luck with the spanner. Been looking off and on for a couple of years. Looks good. Try adding a little white to your hair. I use acrylic paint.

Haha! Yeah, I hope to get one in the future. It's a dream and a goal to work for!

Good luck with the spanner. Been looking off and on for a couple of years. Looks good. Try adding a little white to your hair. I use acrylic paint.
I tried to make one myself by gluing some thick cardboard together and cutting out the form. ...it didn't end well. Maybe go to a blacksmith with pattern and stuff to get a original looking part?

Don't forget your riggers knife.
View attachment 618295
This little guy is still missing on my costume, as well as the binoculars and the two pouches for the belt.
But I'm eager to complete the costume to 100%, or as far as I can get to 100%.

Really awesome job so far! One of the harder pieces to get is the NSW fire tools (Hatchet and spanner, with their pouches), have you had any luck getting those? I lucked out and found them years ago for my MM2 costume, but still haven't gotten up the nerve to chop the hatchet handle short. Looks close enough for me for now, maybe someday I will get crazy and more accurate. They fit the Sam Brown belt really well though.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back