The Rook of Hope County - Far Cry 5

Strikerkc

Sr Member
Alright, so I've been collecting bits for this for a few months, and enough things are coming together now that it's time to start working on it in earnest.

The Rook of Hope County, from Far Cry 5

While you don't actually wear the Hope County Sheriff's uniform for more than the game's intro, in my mind, he wears the thing the whole way through (might as well, with how quick the enemies can ID Rook as a Deputy, regardless of what he's wearing :p)

Anyhow, the visual references that I'm working from.

Rook uniform.png

The character select screen shows the rook with a holster with some sort of retention (possibly just an old leather holster with a strap) and some other minimalist police gear on the opposite hip.

Screenshot (29).png
Screenshot (28).png

Screenshot (30).png

And, What I've got so far.

Hope County Rook.jpg

Green Deputy top, leather belt with horse head buckle (a surprisingly close buckle, at that), Hope County Cougars "team" button, some relatively uncommon tactical gloves, a hope county velcro strip for a vest if I want (will probably get replaced, I'm not thrilled with the quality) and a big black scary cowboy hat, because, why not?

I may try and make a "two hole" wider belt at some point, but for now, the belt I have is fantastic for the job.

I also have some of the hope county patches coming some time in April (the badge in the picture was not available for sale).

Hope county patch.jpg

Now, as mentioned, the badge wasn't available to buy, but between the above picture, and my in game references, I'll be able to 3D model up a version I'll be more than happy with.

And I also plan to have a glorious and majestic SPAS-12 as a primary weapon that can be carried with the costume.

I've gotten a line on a few 3D models to print out. the more "plain" one, is actually what the one in game looks like (no stock, with an option for a sight).

Screenshot (32).png

Screenshot (33).png

any shotgun shells on the gun itself, or on a chest rig will be the blue cased "slug" rounds, because who really uses the other ones? Maybe an incendiary or two just for fun ;)

I plan to have a side arm also (for when carting the shotgun around doesn't seem practical or fun). I'll either go with a large .44 style revolver from the game, or possibly one of the kitted out desert eagles available in game. I haven't decided. I'm also thinking some police belt pouches (cuffs, etc) on the leather belt (as shown in the character select screen).

Additional gear I'd need to get is a dedicated pair of blue jeans to weather along with the shirt. Possibly a pair of "plain" looking boots to weather up. Possibly a black or OD green plate carrier of some sort, if I can find one the right style that I'm looking for (all molle on the front) that actually fits. Sadly, all the ones I've come across are all labeled as fitting 2XL, and don't even fit my XL frame without making me wheeze (I know, body armor bought from amazon.com isn't high quality? who'd have guessed?). I'm also going to make the "ROOK" name badge as a removable "pin" on type of name tag, just for practical purposes, in case I ever want to do up a costume as Sheriff Whitehorse, I don't have to drop a ton of cash on another darn shirt.

I may also opt for knee pads of some sort. I have a pair of arc'teryx pads that are amazing, and can be weathered just fine to make them look heavily used.

0-650-arcteryx-leaf-knee-caps-crocodile.jpg
Or I may go for something more "all purpose" looking.

Alterations I'll need to make, are to get black epaulets and pocket flaps on the uniform top. I could replace them (a lot of work in my mind). I could sew a thin black layer of cloth over them (simpler, and less likely to completely ruin the shirt). Or, what I'll probably do, is to go look for a high quality cloth/clothing paint, and just paint them black. Any recommendation on a brand and type would be awesome.

I'm also debating an older style gas mask that I would gut the filter out of (so I can breath), as a nod to the enemies in the game having an eventual proclivity for poison gasses, and to help further differentiate me at a distance from an actual Sheriff's Deputy (when "dressed down" without any armor or shotgun).

Last edited:
WOOO! that's certainly cool. I'm sure I'll mess with their badge builder at some point and see what I come up with, but those things sure aren't cheap (granted, understandably so).

LoL. Cool. I saw your message to, and have been expecting my patches I ordered from someone else to show up any day now.

The best reference pics I have for the badge are the ones I've posted above. If you were up for it, I wouldn't mind knowing what a badge like that would run me from you guys.

no prob ..if you need the badge or any other gear i'm down to help out. The uniform shirts and pants are an easy get and a duty belt and an plate carrier. we have those on the super inexpensive side

Badge pricing ..you'd be looking at about 85 bucks with the badge as pictured. These come from Smith and Warren. i can look at my other Badge vendors and see if I can get a better price.

just playing through new dawn today, love this series, and im kind of glad they went back to hope county, its cool to see the old spots after so many years later...
here's the belt buckle from that character select screen if you had wanted the same
Belt Buckle (horse head) | Man Cave Kerikeri

Edit: that site is from New Zealand... so may be pricey to ship... i thought it was in Canada here, since they listed GST.

Last edited:
just playing through new dawn today, love this series, and im kind of glad they went back to hope county, its cool to see the old spots after so many years later...
here's the belt buckle from that character select screen if you had wanted the same
Belt Buckle (horse head) | Man Cave Kerikeri

Yikes! Don't buy that! :p

I've found the same buckle on amazon for less than $8, with shipping
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NAUINY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like the "Man Cave" is a putting a heck of a mark up on it. That or the one's that amazon is selling fell off a truck. lol

New dawn looks somewhat interesting to me. I do like the idea of telling a new story in the same place. The current writers, I guess, I've just got no real faith in. I loved the setting in Far Cry 5, but the actual play-by-play of what the game makers put out story wise was a real disappointment for me. Still loved the Rook though. :)

Yikes! Don't buy that! :p

I've found the same buckle on amazon for less than $8, with shipping
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NAUINY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like the "Man Cave" is a putting a heck of a mark up on it. That or the one's that amazon is selling fell off a truck. lol

New dawn looks somewhat interesting to me. I do like the idea of telling a new story in the same place. The current writers, I guess, I've just got no real faith in. I loved the setting in Far Cry 5, but the actual play-by-play of what the game makers put out story wise was a real disappointment for me. Still loved the Rook though. :)

i didn't mind the FC5 story....so for me new dawn is pretty fun so far...but i only play maybe 1/2 hour here and there....but it is neat if you played the last to see what things look like so many years later

I would be interested to find the patches for the rookie if someone can. That would be great thank you
I went back into my old purchases on eBay this was the original Cosplayer who had sold the ones that were posted by OP wouldn’t hurt perhaps reaching out to see if they have any left or perhaps could direct you as to how they made them / had them made! I know your response to this was quite some time ago but I hope you still find this helpful :) 2014-e6 on eBay

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back