The Ultimate Amazing Spider-Man 2 Suit Project

Hey man I found this ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406212978.822840.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406212991.357707.jpg

All the best!
-Aaron

I've been at it with some swatches before heading off for my holiday, one advice I can give Aaron is that to never ever judge the fabric before getting a swatch.

So many times I thought I had a eureka moment interms of the red fabric, only to be dissapointed with the samples sent to me.

I'll continue the search for the fabric after I'm back :thumbsup

I've been at it with some swatches before heading off for my holiday, one advice I can give Aaron is that to never ever judge the fabric before getting a swatch.

So many times I thought I had a eureka moment interms of the red fabric, only to be dissapointed with the samples sent to me.

I'll continue the search for the fabric after I'm back :thumbsup

Ok thanks man I'll keep that in mind sorry I didn't see this until now. I didn't know I was quoted.

-Aaron

No worries Aaron,

Ok guys finally an update on this, I am very close to finding the fabric used in the movie, the fabric store recently ordered some swatches from the warehouse for us to compare, when those come I'll show em to you guys as well, but from the pictures that was shown to me, one of them might be the real deal.

If it is, I will get a bunch of that fabric, and can also offer you guys one to work on it too. Let's just see how it will go

All of this fabric testing is giving me a headache, the fabrics I get are either too shiny or not shiny enough, very hard to pinpoint that perfect balance, but I feel I'm getting closer

All of this fabric testing is giving me a headache, the fabrics I get are either too shiny or not shiny enough, very hard to pinpoint that perfect balance, but I feel I'm getting closer

The fabric of the suit was custom made just for the movie and the color was dyed in Europe. If you ask me, I don't think any fabric suppliers would sell the type of red used in the film suit only.

It's definitely not a nylon spandex because nylon isn't easy to screen print with.

I believe the material is primarily cotton or at least a material that high density ink would bond to very well. From what I understand, spandex material in general has a pretty good shine so it's all about the color at this point. The screen printed bricks on the red portions have some reflective properties that will add to the overall shine. There were two types of suits used, some of them have raised red brick patterns while the other didn't.

I believe the reason why the red doesn't appear as reflective on the red portions is because of the type of ink used. The ink, when mixed with pigment (here red pigment is used), reduces the shiny quality of the ink which is why in lot of set photos, the red is invisible when light hits it. This is all just based on screen printing experience with all the types of special inks I have.

amazing-spider-man-2-cc-2013.jpeg

Mystery, did you ever figure out which fabric "sziszispidey" is using for the red on his suits?

Sadly not, I had to put it on hold at the moment since I'm too tied up with work, I'll resume it around summer time again along with another project, but I believe sziszispidey;s material is too shiny for the suit. I mean the work is exceptional but I'm looking for a less shiny version of the material he has

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH--a0zN1vg

It looks simply sublime, I heard though it's not that durable because of the wear and tear. I'm looking to have a more practical take on the suit to make it more budget friendly, yet make it look as close to the screen version as possible. Hopefully I'll be satisfied with the fabric I'll eventually find

Though there in the video is indeed THE ULTIMATE suit, if you got money to spend I'd suggest sending him a message, his work looks like it came out of a machine, so clean and crisp it's unbelievable

The fabric of the suit was custom made just for the movie and the color was dyed in Europe. If you ask me, I don't think any fabric suppliers would sell the type of red used in the film suit only.

It's definitely not a nylon spandex because nylon isn't easy to screen print with.

I believe the material is primarily cotton or at least a material that high density ink would bond to very well. From what I understand, spandex material in general has a pretty good shine so it's all about the color at this point. The screen printed bricks on the red portions have some reflective properties that will add to the overall shine. There were two types of suits used, some of them have raised red brick patterns while the other didn't.

I believe the reason why the red doesn't appear as reflective on the red portions is because of the type of ink used. The ink, when mixed with pigment (here red pigment is used), reduces the shiny quality of the ink which is why in lot of set photos, the red is invisible when light hits it. This is all just based on screen printing experience with all the types of special inks I have.

View attachment 410503

That's great info there kiyominai, are you testing any inks on just red fabric materials at the moment?

That's great info there kiyominai, are you testing any inks on just red fabric materials at the moment?

I actually found a fabric company that custom makes fabric wholesale (it was not cheap). I am at the moment, in the dying process of the fabric, trying to get the right pantone red and vibrancy so in the near future you can expect accurate fabric colors.

As for the inks, you're right. I am testing them on red fabric. Here's my progress so far. It's coming out a little darker than what I had expected but nonetheless, i am becoming closer.

red_ink.jpg

That's great progress right there :thumbsup

That pattern, texture wise looks very close to the blue parts of the suit from what I can see in Lunaman's posts on the first page, you might have nailed that one already

Sadly not, I had to put it on hold at the moment since I'm too tied up with work, I'll resume it around summer time again along with another project, but I believe sziszispidey;s material is too shiny for the suit. I mean the work is exceptional but I'm looking for a less shiny version of the material he has

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH--a0zN1vg

It looks simply sublime, I heard though it's not that durable because of the wear and tear. I'm looking to have a more practical take on the suit to make it more budget friendly, yet make it look as close to the screen version as possible. Hopefully I'll be satisfied with the fabric I'll eventually find

Though there in the video is indeed THE ULTIMATE suit, if you got money to spend I'd suggest sending him a message, his work looks like it came out of a machine, so clean and crisp it's unbelievable

Keep searching! I have been doing so as well extensively and every fabric that seems to appear close to the movie colour is not 4-way stretch so that is my biggest issue is finding a screen-accurate colour that is also durable.

From what i see on the fabric, it looks like its a stamping process as opposed to a puff paint. We have done stuff similer on awnings at work. Almost like a heat transfer but with a pre cut rubber/plastic

Hey guys, just a quick update on things.

After thinking very long and hard about it, I decided to stop trying to make this suit happen. I had an idea in my mind for a very long time of how I would do my very own Spider-Man suit, and I decided to finally go with it. I'll make a thread about it whenever I'm ready. I had this project and another one I was working on which was an amalgamation of TASM1 and 2 Spider-Man suits, which I am also no longer making.

I had this dream suit of mine in my head for a very long time, and I think with the skills I've acquired from the ridicoulously talented people, over the course I have been in this forum, I am more confident of tackling this suit.

So feel free to continue to discuss what type of fabric you guys are finding, or what methods you come up for printing, painting etc. and good luck on your further builds :)

Mystery

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back