The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

Mortal Kombat 11 just had its big reveal.

I'm really excited for the character customization feature they showed off. Completely designing the look of your characters is awesome.

I don't think I've played a Mortal Kombat game since the original...

I've been playing the newer Battletech game, which is pretty brutal the first time through. I had to cheat for money... Anyway I had a pilot with an injury that took like two months to recover. About two days before he was back in action I got a pop up saying he took a bad turn and asked whether I would invest money to save him. He was one of my best, so of course threw money at the problem. He died! WTF? That's messed up acting like your pilot is recovering and then kill him off like that! (n) It's cool because it throws some random elements in your game, but damn that's not cool!

Yea, the early game is really rough on the finances. You'll be 2 weeks from bankrupt a lot. Just focus on trying to salvage efficiently and build mechs to sell and it gets better. Really fun game though

Yea, the early game is really rough on the finances. You'll be 2 weeks from bankrupt a lot. Just focus on trying to salvage efficiently and build mechs to sell and it gets better. Really fun game though

Agreed, after a while you'll be swimming in cash and can afford to acually do missions for rep only if you wanted to, something I never did though, always wanted to make sure that I had plenty of cash on hand at all times.

What I did to save money was to run lean on pilots initially. Don't hire more than 1 or 2 spare pilots until your finances start to improve. I also never kept more than 1 of any mech, so if I already had or was running Locust and got another full one in salvage I would sell it. I'd also never keep more than 10 - 15 of any weapon type and/ammo depending on whether or not it was something I actually would put on a mech. If it's a weapon system that you have little to no need for then you can sell them all off or keep fewer in stock.

The big money in the game are mechs, if you're good at killing mechs through anything but center torso kills then you can make money fast by selling off mechs. You can make up for a low paying job/mission by taking out mechs cleanly for max salvage. Head shots and pilot injuries can be difficult so go for the leg shots if you're having trouble knocking them down or getting those killing head shots. You'll only get 2 salvage for the mech but it's better than just 1 for a center torso kill. It's not something that did but something that I probably should have since I killed mechs through center torso hits more often than not because I'd always end up doing so much damage to their center torsos that even when I don't aim for the center torso the bleed through damage will destroy the CT anyway or I'll just end up missing and hit the CT.

That MK11 really takes it up some notches. More notches above than I think are necessary. Good lord that is some serious gore.

The big money in the game are mechs, if you're good at killing mechs through anything but center torso kills then you can make money fast by selling off mechs. You can make up for a low paying job/mission by taking out mechs cleanly for max salvage. Head shots and pilot injuries can be difficult so go for the leg shots if you're having trouble knocking them down or getting those killing head shots. You'll only get 2 salvage for the mech but it's better than just 1 for a center torso kill. It's not something that did but something that I probably should have since I killed mechs through center torso hits more often than not because I'd always end up doing so much damage to their center torsos that even when I don't aim for the center torso the bleed through damage will destroy the CT anyway or I'll just end up missing and hit the CT.

Pilot injuries were a bit easier initially before one of the first big patches, when all mechs had the same stability meter. But even now, mid game it isn't too difficult to leg for knockdown and 1 injury, pop a side torso while they were down for a second, then either focus the other side torso or rack up STAB for a kill. Eventually the enemy pilots have more injury points and its trickier to do without coring them out, but by then you should have a Tactics 9 headshot champion and its super easy. But yea sometimes the RNG on hits will wreck their legs and its just more time efficient to take the easy 2 salvage.

I think I'll be fine once I play a second game later on because I know how everything works now. Right now the little difficulty thing is ticking me off because for some missions it's waaaaay off. I'm doing the story mission where you go to the Star League base with Lady Arano. It has three skulls for the difficulty and It's harder. I paused it last night with her Atlas having no arms, and a damaged leg with both Assault mechs coming after me. So I have to game the rolls and see if I can make it out.

From what I've read the skulls aren't a perfect indicator, when the mission gets generated it can be off in either direction by at least half a skull by design. It can suck in the other direction too, spend time/money to travel out to a system, take the mission, negotiate for a lot of salvage and it ends up being like 5 tanks and you get almost nothing for your time.

Oh I'm sure it's not certain! I did a 3 1/2 skull assassinate mission and ended up facing two lances with heavy mechs and the actual target. Even though I had the SLDF Highlander, a Battlemaster, Orion, and another heavy mech I was getting torn up. That was the first contract I had to pull out of.

So two new video games updates for me

1)After much trial and error I got my PS1 classic mini modded to add a bunch of other games. Went through bout 6 or 7 USB flash drives/Memory sticks finding one that worked, and yes and no it does delete the original 20 games off your system. Yes in the sense that if you boot to the flash drive it only recognizes the games on the USB, No in the sense that if you unplug your system, the usb and then reboot your system the original 20 games are all there. Neither the usb or the original 20 games save files seem to be affected. Just to be on the safe side though I put the 4 games/20 I want to play from the original system on my flash drive though. It took a ton of work to get the games to work on a flash drive though I estimate 24-48 hours of time between downloading said roms and modifying them all correctly. I would say it is not for the faint of heart, but a doable project if you want to play other PS1 games and defiantly worth it. Only game I am having trouble getting to work or keep working steadily is PE2(Parasite eve 2) found a fix for it but still crashes every hour or 2, so just have to save constantly.Have about 60-90 minute play time in the the other 41 games(only a 32 gb flash drive) and so far they all work run with no problems besides PE2(PE2 has freezing bugs at certain load screens on 1 complete playthrough I noticed 9-10. I fixed this by running the rom at a higher speed right b4 load screens, and the lowering the speed back down to normal however still crashes back to games select screen every hour or 2)

2)Played RE2 remake for a few hours tonight(PC/Steam version) good remake so far in my opinion(although I am only about 90 mins in) Def recommend it for any Resident evil fan.

Last edited:
I actually got my copy of Resident Evil 2 Remake last Friday a bit early from Amazon. Have it installed and patched up now, but I think I am going to wait until February to play it. That's when I go on vacation and might try and run through the entire series available on the PS4. I've also heard some rumors through several game sites that Resident Evil Nemesis Remake has been in production for a while now, but that's still rumor.

Wargroove is also finally releasing on PC, Xbox and Switch Feb 1st, with a PS4 release soon to follow. If anyone was a fan of Nintendo's old Advanced Wars games, they may want to take a look at this. My brothers and I love Advance Wars and used to play massive battles on the couch against each other thanks to a GBA emulator installed on an old original Xbox.
Another spiritual successor to the series along with Tiny Metal, only set in a medieval fantasy universe instead of modern war. What really excited me is that the game comes with a story and campaign editor so the modding community on PC may be able to turn this game into something else.

I actually got my copy of Resident Evil 2 Remake last Friday a bit early from Amazon. Have it installed and patched up now, but I think I am going to wait until February to play it. That's when I go on vacation and might try and run through the entire series available on the PS4. I've also heard some rumors through several game sites that Resident Evil Nemesis Remake has been in production for a while now, but that's still rumor.

I will tell you this much about RE2 remake and anyone else who is interested ammo on this game is defiantly not as abundant as other recent RE games, I find that on normal I keep running down to about 1-2 extra clips worth of ammo on my handgun... It definitely has the feel and play style along with the need to conserve a little ammo of old school RE games/RE7, So make sure you make your shots count and hoard that Shotgun/Magnum ammo

Don't know if anyone here plays For Honor but Ubisoft is rolling out the first 2019 update with the new character the Vortiger shield knight and 22 new execution moves.

Last edited:
Agreed, after a while you'll be swimming in cash and can afford ... I killed mechs through center torso hits more often than not because I'd always end up doing so much damage to their center torsos that even when I don't aim for the center torso the bleed through damage will destroy the CT anyway or I'll just end up missing and hit the CT.

Which one of the mech games is it you guys are talking about playing again?

Well, I finally spent a few hours on red dead redemption 2 the other night, and I think I'm done with it.

I was a huge fan of the first one but in all honesty, I think breath of the wild has sort of ruined open world games for me.

I just kept thinking about how linear RDR2 was. and How much hand holding there was.

I recently looked up Metal Gear Solid 1 for ps1 and I still think it's one of the best videogames of its time.Never gets old for me even to look at a walkthrough on youtube.Same for Tenchu Stealth Assassins.The storyline and atmosphere covers for the obsolete graphics.For ps4 I would nominate The Amazing Spider-man 2.

Would I still consider frequently playing videogames? Nah,not anymore.Way too addictive for one,and besides,now that I have found my new hobby of crafting I wouldn't go back.

Tenchu was a great game. Wish they would do a new version. I still have the two assassin ninja statues in my display case.

They actually were doing a new Tenchu game and it morphed into the upcoming Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Shadows Die Twice being a direct reference to Tenchu.

Also the PS+ Freebies for February are now listed:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back