"Tie Killer" Y-Wing Based on Dave G Open Source

Hammer,

Interesting! Are you sure? If so, please tell.

It is a.) the keystone shape, and b.) the indented section on the microphone part of the mike, that to my eye makes it "sure look like" it's a match, but this is also from a vintage kit and not one of the re-issues. But what would really "prove" it, to my mind, is knowing a.) whether it was too small, just right, or too large based on b.) knowing what it was sitting on top of, the infamous mystery "conning tower" greeblie that is quite possibly not at all a "conning tower" from a ship but could be a section of undergirder frame from a truck or some other vehicle. This "conning tower" piece is cut off of a larger piece at the base, but what that piece is only a handful know and they ain't sharin'. Meanwhile, it's a figure-ground problem as I see it: unless you can positively ID the piece it sits on top of, you don't have any real way of claiming that the CB-radio piece from the K-123 Cabover is "too small." In other words, it has to be too small in comparison to something, and the only something is the thing it's sitting on top of. Or am I missing something? My current "conning tower" piece is a 3D CAD file printout, and I have no way of knowing if it's the right size or not, but from other 3D pieces I've acquired on Shapeways, I can tell you that several of them are also "too small" based on acquisition of the originals they are trying to imitate.

If you have another metric for demonstrating it or categorically disproving it as a legitimate ID, please share, I am very interested in all the pros and cons of these last few pieces.

Mystery parts.jpg

Moving On(left) K-123(Right)

20190415_183305.jpg Screenshot_20190415-182722_eBay.jpg

It's a tower from a German ship (that's all I can "really say"). MIne is a printed part on my Y and since finding out the actual kit and receiving castings, it was "quite close".

The Movin On and the 123 are basically "the same" (the CB Spue matches) Mine is vintage since I'm pretty sure there was never a re issue.

I've scoured AMT kit pictures/scans looking for a match and have had no luck, the "CB Included" was big deal in the 70's, AMT even promoted them in the car/truck/van models, I hoped there would be a difference but I haven't really found anything. The only one was from a MACK truck.

This one
Capture.PNG

and its "not right".

Last edited:
Very interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing and showing your work. Any interest in selling a casting of the German ship tower? Later on when I'm at home I'll post a picture of my K-123 CB piece, b/c I think it's different than the one you've shown, but I could be wrong.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back