Twister Dorothy Sensor Ball (Scratch Built)

zenx13

Cow, Another Cow...

I went to see the new Twisters film and quite enjoyed it. It did have me reminiscing about the original from about 30 years ago so I came home and watched it again (seen it quite a few times tbh) and really enjoyed it all over again.

And, I got to thinking - why don't I make a Dorothy Sensor Ball prop??

Step 1

Reference materials were located / printed and I had a "dig out" to see what found objects I had that could be used.

01.JPG
02.JPG

Step 3

Creating the inside base plate by tracing and cutting a piece of thin Plexiglas with a coping saw.

01.JPG
02.JPG

Step 5

Drilling / reaming the toggle switch square opening and the hole for the black wire "propeller".

01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG

Step 7

The battery I bought was a little too large and I also didn't really need a functional battery that will not be used. For these reasons I decided to make a smaller one.

I started with a wooden dowel cut down to size:

01.JPG

The ends of the wood were clad in Aluminum Foil Tape as well as a thin strip added to the top edges then pressed down with a leather working tool called a Beveler Stamp:

02.JPG
03.JPG

Next was to paint the edging - this yellow is a bit bright and will be toned down before completion of the prop:

04.JPG

Centre hole drilled and a small metal bolt was added as the positive pole:

05.JPG
06.JPG

Wrapped the faux battery in electrical tape and now done - this will work much better in the small space:

07.JPG
09.JPG

Last edited:
Step 8

Setting the nut in the centre of the baseplate. The original prop looks like an adhesive similar to JB Weld was used. I chose to drill some small holes to hold silver hot glue - pretty happy with the results.

IMG_1712_edited.JPG
IMG_1715_edited.JPG
IMG_1717_edited.JPG

Last edited:
Step 9

The goal of this step is to create a mounting bracket for the toggle switch as well as setting up a metal sub-plate for upcoming solder work.

First - I cut a slit out of the plastic baseplate, marked the required flange on the metal plate, cut / bent it into place:

9a1.JPG
9a2.JPG
9a3.JPG

Next was to make a hole to receive the threaded section and to attach the switch to test for placement / layout:

9b1.JPG
9b2.JPG
9b3.JPG

Here is where I am at - really happy with the progress! Getting the toggle switch locked in place is a big hurdle to be over.

9c1.JPG
9c2.JPG

Last edited:
Step 10

Making the battery holder - I started by sketching the shape on paper, cutting it out and test fitting:

01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG

Next was to transfer the shape to a thin sheet of aluminum, cut it out and file the edges:

04.JPG
05.JPG
06.JPG

Punch in some raised areas where it touches the battery, fold it into shape and attach it to the baseplate with a small nut and bolt:

07.JPG
08.JPG
09.JPG

Here is where I am at now:

10.JPG
11.JPG
13.JPG

Looks good so far! What size is that “battery”?

I’m in the process of making my own, experimenting with Mirror Effect on the bottom half. Also spent way too much money on a 90s Diet Pepsi can.

Once I have it down I’m gonna make some soft stunt versions for my family as Christmas ornaments. The plan is to recreate the can labels in illustrator, print them at CVS, and glue them onto foil card stock.

Back