Announcement Updated Header

I would gladly make a crap load of different headers. I have a lot of experience doing headers/banners and what have you :) someone just let me know of the required dimensions...

The biggest problem we have found is trying to get quality imagery from some of the older movies and shows that will work in the format we have.

:lol

You're right though, I think its a good idea :thumbsup

Maybe a few for those who went to older schools in a cave too :lol

Besides the classic sci-fi like BSG, Quantum Leap, Space 1999, Visitors etc etc, there are also other extremely popular ones like Magnum PI, A-Team, I Dream of Jeannie, Knight Rider, Addams Family etc.

Do we even have a Stargate, TNG, DS9, Farscape, Lost, James Bond etc headers :D ?

Also keep in mind as you are adding many of these in that some of this not only comes down to quality photo availability but that we try to a certain degree to make sure that we have a relevant appearance and if we inject too much old school, especially if it isn't something that has a massive following, we can easily look dated.

I would love to see all of those, Babylon 5, X-Files, Forbidden Planet, Metropolis, Buck Rogers, Last Starfighter, Twilight Zone, Krull, Willow, Neverending Story, King Kong, Silent Running, Alien Nation, The Black Hole, Lost in Space, They Live, Logan's Run, Commando Cody, Planet of the Apes, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Flash Gordon, Destination Moon, Batman('66, '89, TAS), Superman (George Reeves, Christopher Reeve, Brandon Routh, hell, even Dean Cain), Explorers, MST3K, Classic Doctor Who.....I could go on and on!

What about horror? Classic Universal, Hammer, all of the big 80s franchises like Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Evil Dead, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, Hellraiser, Child's Play...

There's endless opportunity to add a little(okay, A LOT) more variety :lol

I would gladly make a crap load of different headers. I have a lot of experience doing headers/banners and what have you :) someone just let me know of the required dimensions...

I could certainly make our PSD template available to you, but keep in mind, we are pretty picky.

The biggest problem we have found is trying to get quality imagery from some of the older movies and shows that will work in the format we have.

Also keep in mind as you are adding many of these in that some of this not only comes down to quality photo availability but that we try to a certain degree to make sure that we have a relevant appearance and if we inject too much old school, especially if it isn't something that has a massive following, we can easily look dated.

Bah, humbug :darnkids !

:lol

On a 'serious' note, maybe less time on the rotation (how long is it nowadays ?) & more variety, to include old stuff, but with less emphasis on the old fogie exciters :D ?

I will be honest, this statement did make me a little upset because to me, it echos the ridiculous trend in Hollywood where it's all about pleasing flavor of the week audience. I know that's not how you meant it but it did sting. I've seen the shift of focus in this place to try and reach as wide an audience as possible and that's great, but I also can't help but sometimes get that slight sense of "selling out" to draw the trendy "cosplayers". I try to keep these kinds of feelings to myself most of the time because, honestly, the hobby is changing and I don't always like what I see, but I know that a lot of it is here to stay and I just have to accept it. I guess it's the grumpy old man in me (as grumpy and old as a 26 year old can be :lol).

What it all really boils down to is it just makes me sad to see the old school stuff not being represented in favor of the trendy things that, while they might be entertaining, don't have the same kind of iconic staying power and influence that the older stuff has. At least in my opinion.

And I really do get it. You HAVE to stay relevant to a degree if anything just to keep the revenue coming so you can keep this place running. I just don't want to see the old stuff forgotten :(

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

On a 'serious' note, maybe less time on the rotation (how long is it nowadays ?)

For me it only changes when I refresh the page or jump to a popular franchise. Good thing about it is, if you don't want to look at a specific header just hit refresh. I can scroll through a dozen in a matter of seconds.

I can certainly understand your feelings on this (and on a personal level share many of them), but it is one of those areas where we could take the "screw 'em" approach and suffer from bucking the tide, or accept that the world is always changing and thanks to technology and things like social media, is changing faster and faster which means we too must do the same or get left behind.

Having been a member as long as you have, you have certainly seen it. This community (all online communities) have changed due to both external and internal influences. Master Replicas changed this community forever. Facebook has done the same. 3D Printers are doing the same. We can either be angry about it and resist it (and as I mentioned, eventually be left behind while those who embrace it, ride the wave) or we can just accept this is the new reality and roll with it.

Has this become more of a buyers community than a builders community? Yes it has. Why? Oh... we could talk about that for days, but no matter the reason, it has.

Are franchises more about flavor of the week instead of a single franchise that people still love 35 years later? Absolutely. Why? Again... does it really matter why? We all know it is the reality.

Do people care about getting things perfectly accurate the way they once did or is close enough good enough now. Sadly, yes. Why? Again, it doesn't matter.

Is cosplay the new costumer. VERY sadly, yes.

I have tried to fight these sort of things before and it has NEVER been to the benefit of the community in the long-run. The times in which I tried to fight the tide has ALWAYS resulted in the community suffering. And make no mistake, I am here to serve the community. If that means I have to put up flavor of the week stuff that I personally despise in order to best serve the community... well, that is what we are going to do.

Is that selling out? I suppose in a way it is. But is sticking to your guns and fading into obscurity really the answer when the goal is to serve the masses? I don't think so.

It is a bitter pill to swallow, but that is just the way it is.

I will be honest, this statement did make me a little upset because to me, it echos the ridiculous trend in Hollywood where it's all about pleasing flavor of the week audience. I know that's not how you meant it but it did sting. I've seen the shift of focus in this place to try and reach as wide an audience as possible and that's great, but I also can't help but sometimes get that slight sense of "selling out" to draw the trendy "cosplayers". I try to keep these kinds of feelings to myself most of the time because, honestly, the hobby is changing and I don't always like what I see, but I know that a lot of it is here to stay and I just have to accept it. I guess it's the grumpy old man in me (as grumpy and old as a 26 year old can be :lol).

What it all really boils down to is it just makes me sad to see the old school stuff not being represented in favor of the trendy things that, while they might be entertaining, don't have the same kind of iconic staying power and influence that the older stuff has. At least in my opinion.

And I really do get it. You HAVE to stay relevant to a degree if anything just to keep the revenue coming so you can keep this place running. I just don't want to see the old stuff forgotten :(

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

For me it only changes when I refresh the page or jump to a popular franchise. Good thing about it is, if you don't want to look at a specific header just hit refresh. I can scroll through a dozen in a matter of seconds.

Ugh. Is it still doing that? You should be getting a refresh on every page. :(

Well, I don't mind actually. It gives me the control. For example, when the Fight Club header pops up, I can leave it like that for my whole RPF session :D

I also only get a new banner by refreshing.

I understand all of your points and I do agree with you. Like I said, I understand the reasons for it, it just makes me sad. I hope nothing I said was taken personally, I'm just venting about the current state of the hobby in general and how I hate that it's affected this place, even in the smallest of ways like the headers. I am coming to terms with it. Damn kids and their hip hat music, mePhones and the Facespace!! :lol And don't get me started on 3D printers!! Their sexy, yes, and I do want one, but nothing will EVER beat the feeling of scratch building something for me. It's a rush like no other seeing something you built with your own hands finally reaching completion :)

I thought your avatar with contradictory enough! ;)

The irony is not lost, trust me :lol For what it's worth, Guardians is the first film I've seen since I can't remember that I felt like I was watching something right out of the 80s. I don't think there's anything that's come out in the last 10 years that I had so much fun watching!

Anyway, my apologies for all the ranting and derailing. I'm sure there's 50 other threads on the board somewhere for this kind of discussion.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back