USS Stargazer (Ready Room Model)

Eric Ardros

Sr Member
Hi all,

Long-time RPF-er, not-so-frequent poster :lol: I'm gearing up to start my own build of Picard's Stargazer, as seen in his ready room on the Ent-D. Mine will differ in accuracy as far as the base kits used; I have two TMP "smoothie" kits on hand, not the later Refit-E release with etched panel lines which is what was used. Thanks in large part to the detailed discussions in these threads:

NCC 7100 Stargazer - From Picard's Ready Room

"Ready Room Scale" Stargazer parts ID and build

And the parts map/list that ProfKSergeev shared in his (second link above), I've been able to source 5 of 6 kits thus far and am awaiting their arrival. I have sourced the sixth kit, but have to wait for that eBay seller to return from vacation until the end of the month before I can buy. Also have the files to laser-cut the top and bottom plates for the main hull, which I'll have done through a local signage shop that I've dealt with.

While I'm working on getting all of the above components gathered, I wanted to put a couple questions out to the folks who have already worked on similar builds. I noticed there was some discussion of which tank kits to use for the tread detail parts for the aft end between the impulse drives and the leading edge of the nacelle strut details just forward of the nacelle pylons on the main hull. My question is this:

In lieu of the Revell 1/72 M48 A2GA2 kit, would the ESCI 1/72 M48 A2GA2 suffice? The only Revell M48 kits I can find on eBay are 1/35 scale, and it appears the 1/72 scale kit has been discontinued. And as for the Revell 1/72 M4 Sherman kit, my eBay searches yield M4A1 kits. I assume those are one and the same? Apologies in advance, but I'm not at all familiar with these tank model kits. Just want to make sure I'm grabbing the right ones.

I've never seen anyone include these additional details:

parts_map_d2_eJob8vpZVTiNoCv5nVLjhH.jpg

parts_map_e2.jpg

On their builds before, so want mine to be as complete as possible with the correct tank tread bits. Oh, and many thanks to everyone in the above-linked threads for their efforts in identifying all the donor-kit parts! Sure made my life a lot easier, lol.

Last edited:
And yes, I am aware the TMP "smoothie" kits lack both the ridged grill detail on the nacelles and the phaser array "bumps" on the saucer. I'd accounted for that and ordered two Constitution Refit "Smoothie" 1:537 Kits from Cass at Lake Monster Details and have already received those. I'm going to remove the smooth recesses on the nacelles to accommodate the new inserts.

Btw, I don't suppose anyone who's built one of these before happens to have a couple of those domes for the underside to spare?

Tried ordering some through Plastruct's website: VHE-32

But unfortunately as I'm in Canada I can't place an order. So, I'm hoping maybe someone here has some extras kicking around.

My builds (the Hathaway and the brace of ready room replicas I'm finishing right now) all have the tread detail. Almost any 1/72nd modern tank will do, as long as the kit has both individual treads and longer unbroken stretches. Mine came from a Revell Leopard.

Thanks for the info! I already went ahead and bought the ESCI 1/72 kit, as comparing the sprues of that and the Revell kit they looked the same so I figured it would work just fine for my purposes. You're working on a number of ready room replicas right now? How kewl is that?! :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back