Vintage lightsaber blades

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
For a while I have been using 8 footers I found at a local marine store going out of business, as well as 8 footers from a factory down south. The first set were from the 80s or early 90s most likely. They had maroon fiberglass and really nice paint.

Thank you to the friend that helped me get this over to America :) I present to you an even older antenna, and this one from the UK!
IMG_3003.jpeg
IMG_3009.jpeg
IMG_3010.jpeg
IMG_3012.jpeg
IMG_3013.jpeg
IMG_3014.jpeg
IMG_3015.jpeg
IMG_3016.jpeg
IMG_3017.jpeg

It is not as tapered as the 70s ones, the tip is about 10mm and I think the famous filming ones were closer to 8mm at the tip. The bottom is the exact right size though, without shortening the blade.

I’ll add some more details when I convert it but I wanted to document the coating, damage and shape.

It is also hollow. So this was made AFTER companies stopped using that filler material, I think it was carcinogenic

Last edited:
I couldn't help myself and started to convert it tonight. I've recorded almost everything, but I can report a few things.

Fiberglass is thicker than I've ever seen at the bottom, and wafer thin near the top. Hot glue and a black plug were to be found underneath the rubber cap. (I just heated the cap to loosen it, as well as the plug.

Antenna element was wrapped around a fiberglass core, then a 2-3 layer copper plastic core running up the antenna 2/3 of the way

The first 3-5 inches are not tapered, how I guessed the original blades were. so I could hammer in metal that I skimmed to a single diameter, and cut it off when it got stuck. I do use JB weld as an over-engineered choice but most of it squished out.

Collar goes on first to help prevent splitting. I also could not do my normal thing, running the collar down from the top until it gets stuck.. it never gets stuck because the end is straight! Thankfully I had the correct sized metal stock to make a nice fit.

Also, as this website reports, this company was bought and sold over and over and each company made changes. My antenna dates from the 90s, most likely early 90s as the shape is very similar to the earlier ones. AC Antennas have completely different shapes. They are the current company and have little to no record of older antennas. FYI
History | AC Antennas

"

Phelps Dodge acquires HMP Antennefabrik A/S
and more focus is put into developing the product portfolio and marketing the products worldwide.

Phelps Dodge logo
The products were sold under
the Phelps Dodge brand.

Celwave acquires the marine antenna division from Phelps Dodge and more knowhow from the industry is added to the product portfolio.

Celwave logo
The products were sold under
the Celwave brand."

Ever since the millenium, AC has owned the line.

I did NOT find this antenna by searching for the model, brand or by soliciting people. Also an FYI.

Will post more details!

I forgot to mention, the top 3 inches are bent. I’m not kidding, the tube lists off to one side near the tip and it’s not cracked. I think it came that way, so I’m not going to make this into a rotating blade.

Okay folks, here is some more reporting.

I was able to machine fittings for this. The video will be edited for youtube at some point. I wanted to compare this to a new Valor and Glomex.

The blades on screen are all different. Literally there are some very short and thick, some very long and thin, and some in between. I get the feeling now that after the first round of blades (4-5 feet), they had to buy 8 footers, and cut them down. Maybe even grab anything they could get their hands on, leading to vastly different looking props. It does seem that CX-4s used to have this type of radome near the base, a few inches of straight fiberglass before tapering. I want to say that the early ones did taper more than this, but I haven't held or seen any 70s versions to be totally sure. This is what you get though, if you cut it at the base, just like vadermania did. They're long, and these 90s ones are a little thicker at the tip.

On saber hilts:
P1020469.jpeg
P1020468.jpeg
P1020466.jpeg
P1020462.jpeg
P1020452.jpeg
P1020451.jpeg
P1020450.jpeg
P1020449.jpeg
P1020447.jpeg
P1020446.jpeg
P1020445.jpeg

And compared to a 2020 ish Glomex
P1020455.jpeg
P1020454.jpeg
P1020453.jpeg
P1020443.jpeg
P1020442.jpeg
P1020444.jpeg

Compared to a Valor of unknown date, probably 00s
P1020475.jpeg
P1020459.jpeg
P1020458.jpeg

and pics of my conversion before reflective choices if at all. I do sort-of want to reinforce the tip.. maybe with spray foam or something.
P1020440.jpeg
P1020439.jpeg
P1020438.jpeg
P1020436.jpeg

That bit of muck you see is just JB weld that grabbed some aluminum chips. I hit this with everything from metal files, to sandpaper, a sponge grinder wheel and steel wool, it's smooth. I did actually have stress cracks from installing the spacers, so superglue was able to get in there and seal it.

Thicker than I expected, but the bottom is an exact match for what I've seen! the fact its a slightly different radome is less important to me, than this being a version of the old profile, and vintage to boot.

Attachments

• P1020448.jpeg
    P1020448.jpeg
    755.7 KB · Views: 24
I don't recommend this, but this is a special blade, so I tried it again. Since this was made after they stopped using filler, I filled it myself.

Now, I HATE spray foam. I don't know any other light but firm filler to use like this so it had to be done. I got low-pressure foam to prevent cracking. I made painters tape funnels at the ends, and stuck a vaseline covered piece of steel in the tang hole.

of course, the can exploded, i wore gloves and went through three pairs and the foam got everywhere. thankfully my prep had kept the blade clean. I continuously twisted the steel to keep it free. Afterwards I used shop towels and a dowel to clean out the tang hole. A piece of threaded rod used like a drill bit was able to clean out the hole even more. Like steak, the inside needs a lot longer to cook than the outside of the foam.

I am at ease now with the thin, cracked end of the antenna.
P1020478.jpeg

It mostly filled the inside... good enough, though the whole process knocked more paint off. I think the best option is to make an ESB reflective blade.

Back