Done / Completed Warehouse 13 Farnsworth face plates

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all,

Since it appears a new run of brass faceplates isn't happening and I just started re-watching W13 I decided to make my own instead and can offer them to you all. They are 3d printed using my new upgraded nozzle system (0.25mm) as well as a new kind of plastic that is specially formulated to improve flow and detail. (See the test I did in the second post). This is my own model, not based on anything freely available.

faceplate.JPG

In regards to metal vs plastic:
The faceplate is so weathered on the show that it's a no-brainer making plastic look like brushed metal... and you never touch the faceplate anyway. (They could also be covered with gold/brass foil very easily.)

***run over***

Note: This cost will go up once I reset the machine for other projects. There is a high failure-rate when printing them due to the "engraved" details (i.e. I might have to do 2-3 throwaways to get ONE good print). I will also not keep this plastic in stock all the time.

Send a PM if you want one and I'll give you payment details.

Last edited:
Well, I guess this will not be a high-priority project after all, but I did a quick proof of concept test with the engraving anyway. The plate is about 40mm wide, 0.8mm deep engraving, printed on a new type of plastic I'm using (and would use for the plates). I only needed to wetsand a bit with 360 grit paper to get it very smooth. The paint is regular rattle-can brass metallic with acrylic inks and paint dabbed on. There is no filler or primer on this piece. So quality-wise there would be no problem making the faceplate if interest picks up.

farnsworthtest.png

Well, I just got my Wheatley box in the mail today as well as most of the other stuff and since I'm nearing the end of re-watching the blurays, I'll be finishing up the faceplate soon. I'll also possibly be doing a 3d print of the Tesla Gun, using a new type of plastic that can print almost perfectly clear for the tubes.

Small heads-up folks. Apologies, but I will not keep this run going long; these are proving to be a lot of effort to print at the quality level I want. It's the curse of the flat object. The settings I'm using to get the fine detail make them stick extra-hard to the glass plate, which makes getting them off hard to do without breaking them. (They're plenty sturdy once they come off though.) So if you want one, I need to know in the next day or so. After that I'll be switching setups to run some other stuff. Thanks!

Hello, I purchased this 3 D print from you during this run. I finally finished this project. My first of this type and I wanted to let you know it turned out pretty good and I was very pleased with your print. Too bad they were a pain to do but I am very happy with your work. Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 232
Hello all,

Since it appears a new run of brass faceplates isn't happening and I just started re-watching W13 I decided to make my own instead and can offer them to you all. They are 3d printed using my new upgraded nozzle system (0.25mm) as well as a new kind of plastic that is specially formulated to improve flow and detail. (See the test I did in the second post). This is my own model, not based on anything freely available.

View attachment 668232

In regards to metal vs plastic:
The faceplate is so weathered on the show that it's a no-brainer making plastic look like brushed metal... and you never touch the faceplate anyway. (They could also be covered with gold/brass foil very easily.)

***run over***

Note: This cost will go up once I reset the machine for other projects. There is a high failure-rate when printing them due to the "engraved" details (i.e. I might have to do 2-3 throwaways to get ONE good print). I will also not keep this plastic in stock all the time.

Send a PM if you want one and I'll give you payment details.
I'm interested in buying a face plate, please give me details on ordering. Thx

I'm interested in buying a face plate, please give me details on ordering. Thx
Heya.

I ended this run after only doing one or two because it was too problematic getting consistent results. I am no longer able to make them out of the plastic I initially used. (Even so, I wouldn't try, because if I remember correctly, peeling it off the build plate actually fractured a chip out of the glass!)

I could probably print one in engineering-grade resin, but I've never tried it... and I might have to do more than one test to get it right, so it'd probably cost upwards of $100 in the end. Probably not worth it, unless you REALLY need one. If so, drop me a PM.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back