Announcement Why a Dredd sub-forum?

Re: Why Dredd?

It wasn't a "go that route," thing, just some folks posted like Dredd came out with the movie and there are some fantistic old school Dredd Builds to be seen.

As to why there isn't an Iron Man group, only Art could say, I wrote him months ago and begged him to make one because as awesome as the IM builds are, I would like to see some of the more unique builds not get buried in 15 minutes by 100 IM threads.

I love looking at the skill and love for the cahracter the IM guys have, but I miss some of the rare stuff because it flys by so fast.

Exactly, Iron Man IS all over the forums, which is part of the reason it isn't being separated. It would be a major project to move all of them. The Dredd section is fairly early in the costume boom it is creating, it is simply too late for the Iron Man boom.

Just to clarify, this is not the reason we aren't making an Iron Man fourm. We could pretty easily amass all the threads. We are not doing it for other reasons.

I think it is a great idea to have a dedicated forum while the topic is hot and people are disparately looking for as much cohesive information as possible to fulfill this desire to have a great presence for the next two huge conventions SDCC and Dragoncon. I for one am thankful for this. It makes research for an immediate upcoming project easier, keeps me from missing important details and helps generate interest of others. With the SW and other big genre groups continually holding the spotlight at big events, it will be refreshing to have a major show for this production even if it only runs until after Dragoncon. After the frenzy has died down this could be reintegrated with the rest of the other movie costumes. Again thank you for this very helpful onestop.

As part of the FB group, I'm naturally waaay jazzed to see this. I've enjoyed Dredd for many years and seeing such a huge interest in Dredd, it's just plain Awesome!

While there have been many individuals making stellar costumes of various characters, I think this may be a first in prop / costuming history of such a large group getting together, pooling their resources, knowledge, skills and ideas to make a accurate costume. I know we do that on a regular basis here, don't misunderstand me. I mean as a group, getting custom leathers produced, so on and so on.:cool

Virtually anybody can be a "Judge", I think that adds to the appeal. Andyface's custom Judge badges have been a hit.

The mythos of Dredd is very appealing. We can have a group of Judges together and it works. A group of Iron Men, Captain America, Batman, etc. just doesn't work, but a group of Judges, yeah that's just going to be waaay cool! (personal bias aside, natch!)

I never thought Judge Dredd would have this kind of popularity, that he (or the mythos) had the appeal of other, more "mainstream" characters.

Aside from the Green Lantern Corps, I can't think of group like this.

Damn, this is so cool! :cool:cool

Before I go any further, let me go ahead and address what is on many of your minds. Why not Iron Man? Admit it. That is what you were thinking.

I admit it. 100%. That is what I was thinking. Well not knowing the reasons, it doesn't matter to me either way. But I had to chime in and say, Yes. I admit it. Those were exactly my thoughts.

But aside from IM, are we going to see any other specific forums? I would think Star Wars would be a great specific forum. Lots of variety, and even many custom costumes could be created.

I don't care for Dredd, but I think it is great that this is happening. It is a great place to get the information you want/need and share specific information so fans are searching all over for Dredd specific stuff.

Star Wars already has dozens of forums out there....and as much as I love the franchise....again....refreshing to see something else that can have a large contingency/presence.

Got to say that before Dredd 2012, I had an interest, which went as far as a comic I bought about 10 years ago "Dredd Vs Batman" or something like that. Loved the dark nature of the comic but from a costuming point of view, the new Dredd film has really got me excited. Until now, I have been 100% Star Wars costuming, but now I intend to focus fully on this as a project.
Dredd 2012 is gritty, and dark (very Batman begins) and the hero is a badass and not a superhero but can take a bullet and still get up to judge some more perps!

This is a cool idea! been scouring the RPF for inspiration for my Judge build, & this makes it easier!
So far bought my badge from Andyface,belt buckle from black koas,lawgiver from Birdie & awaiting vest from Yarko.
Sourcing all this was fairly easy ,but now it would be even simpler! Cheers Art!

But aside from IM, are we going to see any other specific forums? I would think Star Wars would be a great specific forum. Lots of variety, and even many custom costumes could be created.

If this is a success (and so far it has been shockingly successful in terms of the members in here each day), then, yes, we will do more of this, but I want to again make sure we are clear on the intent of a forum of this type.

The purpose of this forum is to TEMPORARILY create a home for a specific subject while it is hot. In looking back at previous years, The Joker from The Dark Knight would have been a great character for this type of treatment. If not for some outstanding issues (sorry to keep dancing around it) Iron Man would obviously be a great candidate.

Star Wars would actually NOT be a good candidate for this because 1) it is too diverse and 2) it is not temporary. It is here forever.

I foresee some issues with this model in the future when people begin to ask for a forum to support their pet project and we have to tell them no because there are only a small handful of people supporting it. With Dredd, there was a group of over 150 people already assembled as well as dozens of threads that had already been created, so the base was already evident.

The intent will be, at the end of the year (2013) we will reevaluate the usefulness of this forum as a standalone entity. My guess is, once Dragon Con 2013 is over, the interest in this topic is going to sink like a rock. If that is the case, we will simply move all of the threads into the costume and prop forums and delete this forum.

...we will not make an Iron Man forum. I am sure, if you give it some thought and consideration, you can imagine why...

Thought given... still can't figure it out.

I want to remind everyone, this is NOT an effort to declutter the site...

I'm curious as to why there isn't an effort to declutter the site. Truthfully, I would probably be more active on here if it wasn't for the fact that I seem to see the same top threads (or similar top threads) every time I come here and have to go flipping through page after page of threads to find something different. I don't think I'm the only one either...

...I would like to see some of the more unique builds not get buried in 15 minutes by 100 IM threads.

I love looking at the skill and love for the cahracter the IM guys have, but I miss some of the rare stuff because it flys by so fast.

If there were some large overarching categories it would at least help a little. For instance you could do Star Wars, LOTR, "Superheroes", etc. Then you could still have temporary "special interest" sections like this Dredd one.

I'm curious as to why there isn't an effort to declutter the site. Truthfully, I would probably be more active on here if it wasn't for the fact that I seem to see the same top threads (or similar top threads) every time I come here and have to go flipping through page after page of threads to find something different. I don't think I'm the only one either...

You certainly are not the only one and there IS a effort to make the site easier to navigate... this just isn't it. That project is going to be very involved, require thousands of man-hours and cost a lot of $$$, but it is something we are working on.

I like niche forums like this and think there should be an Iron Man one too...

That way I don't have to sift through all that to find threads I care about in the costuming section! :lol:thumbsup

You certainly are not the only one and there IS a effort to make the site easier to navigate... this just isn't it. That project is going to be very involved, require thousands of man-hours and cost a lot of $$$, but it is something we are working on.

Cool, that's all I need to know. I can wait patiently. :popcorn

In the meantime I'm glad for the whole Dredd community. And now I have a place where I can watch the judges assemble.

I saw Dredd and was blown away by how awesome it was. I was aware of the comics, but never got into them. This also looked like a costume I could pull off. Just need to get in better shape and put it together, so it gives me a few great goals.

Well I for one am glad to have other people to talk to about how awesome Judge Dredd is and to have access to such a resource database for costuming.

I've been reading Judge Dredd through his Complete Case Files bought directly from the 2000 AD booth at SDCC for the last 5 years now.

So that said my loyalties actually lie with the comic version more than the movies. However I still love DREDD and the new publicity its brought in.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back