Announcement Why a Dredd sub-forum?

Re: Why Dredd?

As a fan of the comics and the 3D Dredd film, I really appreciate having a separate section catering to all the new fan activity on it. :thumbsup

As a British 44 year old guy who has read Dredd from the beginning and is now working on his version of Dredd 2012....
Thank you :)

I used to read Dredd and 2000AD long long ago. Saw the Stalone version and was v. Disappointed. (And that was a time when any crap movie was still awesome), Last year my friend and I went to see this one. I was blown away, we caught the next show because it brought back great ROBOcop type films we all loved.

Wanted to make a costume for halloween right after (In 1 month...Yah Right!)
At least I came upon this thread and am finding this is gonna be fun!

Thanks for having this guys, (And gals)

I think looking at the posts the majority of members happy to have this are mostly new members with a lower post count ( I know mines not that hight but Ive been here a while lol)
My concern for the forum is that once these new memebers have made their costumes and had their Dredd fill HOW MUCH will they contribute back to the other section in this vast forum ??

I htnk if we look at number then yes Iron man , batman , star Wars have far larger numbes of costumers in the past present and future with continued releases of those franchises DRedd may not even get a follow up ?

I think everything Andrew does for the forum is great as without his and the mods input we wouldn't have the place that we have but I think a more effective way to have gone about the costuming threads would have maybe been to split it down into sub forums
Sci fi / comic/ super hero / magna /fantasy and so on
I think this way memebers who have contributed here for many years can have their own favourite sub boards so they dont have to search through pages and pages of threads
Another thing might be to increase the amount of posts that one page can hold from 20 or so to 50 but thats another thing and not releated to this topic

all the best with how ever things go anyway :)

I think a more effective way to have gone about the costuming threads would have maybe been to split it down into sub forums
Sci fi / comic/ super hero / magna /fantasy and so on

Your thoughts on the topic seem not unlike my own, but I think if you look back in the comments at Andrews responses to my questions you'll find his answers on the topic more than adequate.

I'm with Dollstix and the other guys on this. It's a massive hit for me, and like some others, it's what brought me to the forum, as a whole.

As an apprehensive 9 year old, I risked being belted (and the wrath of my folks) to sneak out of our school playground, at break time, to run to the corner shop, pocket money in my sweaty, grubby hand and left with the coolest new comic ever. Fast forward 36 years and I'm still reading the coolest comic ever, every week, and the Megazine every month. I have never missed a prog (issue) of either and have an entire collection up in my roof space (hell, that's the reason I floored and lined the loft, just don't tell my wife!). My son has just turned 9, and for his birthday, amongst many other things, he got the first ten progs to read and take care of. When he's done there will be more, many many more!

But I digress. The sole reason I stuck with the comics - through some pretty dry spells (Pat Mills, your preachy prose sucks these days and just pads out rambling messy artwork that goes nowhere fast!!) - was and is Dredd. He is the best comic character since Batman, and in many ways, for me at least, is on a par.

After leaving uni, many years ago, as a single reasonably paid young man, with an artistic "bent" and a passion for the character, I was persuaded to do an entire costume build by an American friend. It worked very well, but it cost a bundle to make it all, and took me months. I don't know what became if it after he took it home, and he has since tragically died, so I have no way of knowing if its still around or went to the landfill. :/

Now, half my life later, I'm back needing a purpose, with a lot of spare time on my hands and that spark is back. So, while I may not have the funds as yet to set up my workshop, I've already started some aspects of not one, but two Dredd builds - the classic comic and the 2012 movie version - and will be working to complete these before they nail me down & drop me 6 feet under!!

I honestly don't think I could do that without this place, and the help, inspiration and advice that is so selflessly given here, out of so many combined years of experience.

So I'm drokking glad this sub-forum exists, believe me, and my thanks to those who started and maintain it! :)

BTW Suckface and others, many of us may be new to the site and have lower post counts (as yet), but many Dredd fans are also comic and fantasy fans, in general. And, certainly in my experience, those that take the time and effort to recreate a character suit or costume, often down to the smallest detail, are ALSO the kind of people to start looking for something ELSE to build or make, once that challenge is complete. That next mountain to climb, so to speak.

For my own part, I'm a huge Batman fan, also Iron Man, the medievals & fantasy helms (Skyrim - I love it) and, of course, Star Wars. Hell, even Halo, a game I've NEVER played, has some awesome designs that cry out to me to recreate them.

For my own part, I'm making a Batman cowl pep at the moment, inbetween attempting work on my Dredds, and have an Iron Man helmet planned for straight after, for my son. Then it's on to the other many Judge designs available in Dredd's world.

Don't think too harshly of us, or look down on us, or treat us as kids, just because we are new here.

I, at least, am here to stay, and it's all thanks to this sub-forum.

I am really glad to see this forum. I have been looking for a new project, and have always been a fan of Dredd.

While my current endeavor is a Dredd build, I've been building props and costumes for over 25 years and , although joining the RPF was not motivated by Dredd, I appreciate the wealth of information, as I finish my build. It will not end here, however, since I have not been without the motivation to build new character costumes in that past 25 years. In short, costuming and props is not a transient hobby in my life. Cheers to the RPF and Dredd! If I have a gripe at all, it is about the greed factor of people with screen used props who won't respond to inquiries about dimensions or other facts, probably because they are more interested in casting and selling copies than helping others build their endeavor. Perhaps the old devil money holds the ultimate sway here as everywhere. So sad. If I ever leave the RPF, it will be because of those members who value greed over helpfulness and don't mind tainting the RPF in the process.:cry

This thread is one of the big reasons I am interested in making my first non-Star Wars costume. I'm glad it passed the 2013 test. Thanks for keeping it here.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back