Suggestion Why don't we have an official "talent"/"contact" thread?

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was wondering about this today.

We have a lot of newbies, and oldbies asking questions like "Where can I get this material" or "Where can I get a machinist who won't think I'm a terrorist for making these?" , etc.

I dunno if "talent" is the best term for it, because I don't mean something like a resume thread where you show off awesome things you built, I mean like a contact thread where you post up what you can do, and where you can find stuff?

There are a ton of people on the forum who do amazing work, and while I can name 4 off the top of my head I can't name one person who can shape acrylic for me for a project. I KNOW someone on here can do that though. We have entirely too many actual movie prop makers, fx shop workers, and just regular old talented people to not have SOME aspect of the hobby set for brain picking.

So why don't we have a talent thread? Some members work on commissions, others just work to learn and increase their own talents, but all of us could benefit from knowing who does what.

I do not, under any circumstances, mean "Oh, this member makes this unlicensed thing", or "Contact this guy for all your bat costume/abs sunblock/various other needs". I mean strictly as a "This is where you can find these items, this is what company makes these items, members advertise their capability to do costumes or machine things" and just kinda set up a talent pool.

Just a random thought for the day.

Chris

re: Why don't we have an official "talent"/"contact" thread?

I know this thread would probably be better off in the suggestions area but, I agree. If one was set up, a company listing would be good also, for things like companies who do laser cutting, metal casting or 3d printing and the like.
just my 2¢
cheerio

re: Why don't we have an official "talent"/"contact" thread?

You know what would be good, a section or subsection of the forum that contains individual hey i'm XXXX and here's my works.

Just like they do on Art forums, you can browse the section where members have one thread to show off all of their works, instead of a thread being created each time a member has something to show off, which after the inevitable 'That's awesome' or 'That's sweet' or 'when are you doing a run' posts, eventually is lost to the nether regions of the forum section it was in.

By having a dedicated member show off section, we are not creating a list of hey if you want X done - go to this particular member - but instead, users can browse all works by a member and talk to them about particulars within their own threads?

I like this as even a subcategory. And there's talent outside of just making things, e.g., I am a professional voice actor. Need a voice for your robot or whatever, let me know. Dubbing something, need a narrator, etc. And I am also an attorney in NJ. RPF...more than just props!

:D

I like this idea! I think this would benefit allot of people. I have been wondering how I would go about finding people to do certain things. sure there's the want to buy thread. but I have so many little odd things that differ In talent categories. that wouldn't even try that section. not sure If many of us go there anyway.

I think this Is an absolutely awesome Idea!

To the staff. Could you guys at least ponder the Idea please?

Sometimes it just takes about 4 years for an idea to be considered "good" :lol

Chris

The 'Wanted to Buy' section seems adequate for finding out who can make what - a section for recognized talent would probably be highly nepotistic in a forum like this.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back