[WIP] Thor & Mjölnir - The Dark World

fiscalia

Armor is mainly veg-tan leather with accent pieces including some sintra, worbla, wonderflex, ABS/PLA, and EVA foam.
Mjölnir is EVA foam, some latex, leather, ABS/PLA, and similar.

We have been working on this (and going to the gym) since April 2013, but setbacks and real-life jobs get in the way too often! We have assembled the chest armor seen below and found that the torso needs to be shortened to adjust for how much weight he has lost. I'll update more soon.

Attachments

• assembly.JPG
    assembly.JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 365
  • pattern.JPG
    pattern.JPG
    633 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Here are some photos of the assembled chest armor (we chose not to attach "loincloth" pieces directly to the torso assembly). The coloring needs some tweaking; using several different types of leather means they will not all take the EcoFlo dye to the same concentration.

2013-11-13T10-24-10_102.jpg 2013-11-13T10-24-10_105.jpg 2013-11-13T10-24-10_110.jpg 2013-11-13T10-24-10_107.jpg 2013-11-13T10-24-10_109.jpg 2013-11-13T10-24-10_112.jpg

Fiscalia, that is remarkable. Your use of the leather with the other materials is very well done. This is the best Thor:The Dark World armor I've seen yet. Keep up the good work, give us your WIPs when you can, and I look forward to your final costume.

Massively jealous!!! How did you get the patterns on the loin cloth area and with the strapping? I'm planning on a Dark World build as well...but doing it solid black and silver rather than brown and gold...

So any advise would be great ;)

Awesome!! I am too making Thor: The Dark World cosplay for a con in the end of Feburary. The armor is the toughest part. What are those things you are putting on the trim of the gold part of the armor. It looks like back of thumbtacks.

Thanks

We had our second test-run of the torso, this time with loincloth, at the Capt America TWS premier in April. It's only taken us a year to get this far! Hehe. But considering, both of us work full-time, usually with overtime hours, and run or staff several LARPs, I'd say we've made good progress up to this point!

I knew this build was going to be complicated. I knew I was jumping in the deep end, into a world of unknown complexities and as-yet untapped problem-solving skills. I'm not a professional or someone with a lot of training or experience. I'm just a masochist with big dreams, infallible trust in my creative ability, and a perfectionist streak.
(And I love to see that smile on his face when he talks about being Thor.)

So, yes. I'm thankful my strong suits are determination, work ethic, and stress management... because this project has pushed me to the breaking point many times.

Matt_Thor_CaptAmericaPremier.jpg

@asgardian & @tauriice & @6 finger wizard & @Thunderdude:
Thank you for the encouraging comments!
@Thorlief Golmen:
The patterns on the loin cloth area and strapping-bits are just very careful tooling work on the leather! After using a scratch awl to lightly mark the parallel lines on the leather and then swivel knife to engrave the lines deeper, I used this Craftool beveler the "wrong way" - meaning, not as a stamp, which is what it's designed for - but instead to make the etchings appear deeper with a bevel-y rounded-up look (and, oh gosh, so repetitive! my back hurts just remembering the long hours this required!!).​
I'm absolutely positive there's someone more experience with leather out there who will tell me I did it totally the hard way, but... Eh. We did our best!​
I have the patterns from my build and I am willing to scale them to your size, if you are interested. (BUT I know I can't offer to sell things yet on RPF since I am still considered a "new member"!)
@daracell:
Neat! Which convention? If it was ConNooga, you may have enjoyed some of the programming I helped put on! (I was the After Dark director.)
The button-things on the gold armor are just super-tiny brass rivets from Tandy! I was going to use painted sewing-pin heads, and just snip off the backs, but then had my "oh, dummy, you're already using rivets everywhere else!" moment....

Amazing job on the costume? 3 questions though.1. What is the pattern for the back?2. How did you connect the front armor to the back piece.3. What's the pattern for your build in general since I'm planning to make this for Thor 3 and Avengers 3?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back