Suggestion WTB Threads Include Buyers Price

teecrooz

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I respond to quite a few WTB threads wanting to help other members out. I have all but stopped recently because every time I reply saying I have what they want and the price, they say it is too high and they only want to spend a ridiculously low amount. Below cost, below market. Then after you state the price again they hound you for it, again, for below cost and market in most cases.

Can we require a budgeted amount the buyer wishes to spend so that we know if it worrh our time to even reply to the requests?

I respond to quite a few WTB threads wanting to help other members out. I have all but stopped recently because every time I reply saying I have what they want and the price, they say it is too high and they only want to spend a ridiculously low amount. Below cost, below market. Then after you state the price again they hound you for it, again, for below cost and market in most cases.

Can we require a budgeted amount the buyer wishes to spend so that we know if it worth our time to even reply to the requests?
Totally get the frustration that can come from your situation but I am not sure that there is a practical way to implement/enforce it. If you tell a member that "this is the price and it's not negotiable", that really should be the end of the conversation and they should respect that and move on.

Maybe your initial reply to them should just be a specific price clearly stating that it's not negotiable. It's not a guarantee and it is sad that you are taking the time to reply and being put in a position to have to justify your price but that really seems to be the only way to deal with it.

I completely understand, but there is a difference between willing to buy and want a handout, which is what many of those posts have become. If we expect sellers to place a price on their goods when there are people on the board who would pay above their asking price, why not at least ask buyers to put a reasonable minimum?

I have done exactly what you suggested and had people get mad at me for asking a fair price. Just a few weeks ago someone wanted an MR lightsaber for $150. It sells for $1,000 on eBay. I was trying to do them a favor by offering $750. I get that they want a deal and that is fine, but I would rather not have wasted my time to begin with.

I guess I will just stop visiting that section of the board, so problem solved on my end. :D

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back