Yavin 4 scanner (ANH) - all major parts positively identified

Out of interest how heavy are the two original motors so we can replicate this in the finished prop by perhaps filling the void space in the cast versions?

I am having trouble finding a tiny screw, it may be a custom ordered screw arri had made. the fasteners store I went to did not have any gauge that matched the threads and size. ]

I've had good luck finding small and oddball stuff here: Micro Fasteners

You may have to order a quantity of them, but most small stuff is not very expensive.

Arriflex is German so it’s probably metric.

Do you have dimensions on the toggle switch? Perhaps I can find some NOS

Out of interest how heavy are the two original motors so we can replicate this in the finished prop by perhaps filling the void space in the cast versions?

Funny, I was just thinking about this this morning before checking in here. I don't have a balance handy with sufficient range to measure, but I'm guessing from the feel that they are of order 3 or 4 lbs each. I'll try to get one precisely weighed...

Dan

I'm gonna go ahead and say it, too. You are a wizard with them molds and them castin' skills!!

Beautiful work, which is pretty much par for the course with you. :)

Okay, finally got a chance to weigh two of my original motors: the weight of the variable-speed version is 1063 grams and the weight of the constant-speed version is 1032 grams. You can expect several grams of variance in either direction for various motors as there is some motor-to-motor variation that I've seen in some of the minor wiring details, etc.

Dan

Thats great. Thanks Dan. Heavy old prop once its all put together.

Yeah, one of the benefits of Jerry's cast replicas is that the weight will be significantly reduced from the originals, but if you're looking to replicate a bit of the 'heft' as well then you'll want to pour in and cast some lead shot or something to the insides.

I didn't think to weigh my Minolta - I'll do that tomorrow...

That was one of the revelations I had when I got this all put together - suddenly the way that Lorne 'parks' the scanner back on his folded arm at the end of that clip all makes sense. It's heavy and quite a relief to 'park' it after you've been holding it with your outstretched arm for a bit!

Dan

Weighed one of the Minolta Auto Spot 1s - without the 9V battery in the hand grip it comes in at 743 grams.

Dan

I received a working Minolta meter from eBay and it's really neat!

While it's something I could have used years ago when I was shooting 16mm,
even if it's not used as intended, its visual display does have a Star Wars look to it.
No need to modify it at all.

for your viewing pleasure :D
I quickly assembled these to show everyone how nice these look with out any paint yet. not all the parts are on it for the pics. most of the parts screw together, not much glue is needed. some polished stainless steel looking tape you be great for the band by the grip

Attachments

• IMG_9354.JPG
    IMG_9354.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 224
  • IMG_9355.JPG
    IMG_9355.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 219
  • IMG_9356.JPG
    IMG_9356.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 240
  • IMG_9357.JPG
    IMG_9357.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 235
  • IMG_9358.JPG
    IMG_9358.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 225
Indeed - beautiful quality here, Jerry (as usual)! These are going to make fantastic, really high-fidelity replicas of the scanner.

On that front, as long as Lorne was going to be at Celebration, I decided to lug the weight of one of my originals along so he could get it into his hands again for the first time in 42 years:

Lorne_Peterson_small.jpg

As soon as Lorne saw it he began to smile and as he held it he said rather nostalgically "I remember this". :)

He seemed very happy that the tape assembly was just as he remembers it. I asked about the gray or white tape wrapping the metal bands on the motors (to my eye, what is needed to match the on-screen look) and he did wrinkle his nose at that saying that he didn't remember doing that and didn't remember having tape like that on site. As for the jeweler's screwdriver-like greeblie up on top of the Minolta he looked a bit puzzled at first and then when I volunteered something in the direction of the jeweler's screwdriver idea he immediately perked up in recognition and agreed that that had to be it and that they did indeed have small screwdrivers like that in their kit to work on the cameras. We'll have to keep searching to find the right vintage one.

Dan

Attachments

• Lorne_Peterson_small.jpg
    Lorne_Peterson_small.jpg
    626.6 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Awesome Dan!! So happy you were able to get that in his hands, what a great moment for you!!
Curious if he may have discussed how they held the motors to the Auto Spot if they didn't use tape. Did he give you any clues how they kluged it all together?
-Sean

That is absolutely fantastic!

All that effort you put in, deducing what it was, and then having the guy involved confirm it.

Very awesome and thanks again for sharing the info.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back