Young Justice Nightwing v2.0

sinisterspidey

Hey all, I've read through a lot of posts on here but this is my first time actually making an account and posting myself. So, Some of you guys might've seen my girlfriend and my Nightwing & Batgirl costumes at Megacon if you were there this year (Megacon 2014 - Imgur if you didn't see us there) and I'm looking for some comments/criticism/ideas to make them better for Dragon*Con later this year. My only problem with Batgirl were those floppy glove fins, but I'm getting her some nice gauntlets for that.

My main concern was the Nightwing outfit just not quite looking right to me. Admittedly, it ended up being too big for me, but I still felt like it wouldn't look like the Young Justice look I really wanted even sized right. I've thought about buying a design like this one -
YJ-Nightwing.jpg
which was mentioned on another RPF YJ Nightwing thread, and getting it printed/sewn, but on principle I've always been biased against muscle shaded costumes since it feels like cheating. The shoulderpads were flopping all over the place too, still trying to figure out a better way to secure those other than thread. Any thoughts or ideas on getting closer to Nightwing's YJ look -

young-justice-nightwing-nightwing-young-justice-30785699-900-747.jpg-136791d1358108246

would be appreciated.

Disclaimer - while I did make Batgirl's (fairly functional) utility belt, I'm really not great at making costumes from scratch, so constructing a whole YJ costume on my own isn't feasible haha.

What are your thoughts on muscle shaded costumes looks-wise? Like I said, it feels like cheating, but I can't think of another option aside from a full custom costume. The belt I was thinking of buying something like this SnakeEyesBelt2600.jpg and just coloring the pouches grey, and I've already thought about getting some small knee & elbow pads to wear either over or under the costume.

Sorry for the wall of text, but any comments/criticisms/ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I love this series and I think Nightwing and Batman's costumes in it are fantastic. The Batman especially, its like a cross between Nolan and Miller Batman.

My opinion on muscle shading: If you share the same silhouette as the character you are cosplaying (and you do, judging by your linked image from Megacon), then why not? The fact is that most people have to work out obsessively in order to achieve and maintain abs that will be visible even through the thinnest of spandex. So if you are going for true comic book accuracy, I see no problem using muscle shading.

That having been said: the YJ Nightwing does not have visibly ripped abs. Just a noticeable shadow to accent a crease in the costume common in any article of clothing simply because the act of sitting down makes most things crease there.

I've always thought the best way to do this particular version of the costume was to invest in a full wetsuit with a collar that is high enough. Then, for the gray areas: either buy elastic fabric and cut and stitch it accordingly, or actually cut away the wetsuit and replace the fabric with the gray. The black line accents can be done through puff paint.

The shoulder pads are another beast. They are the only piece of the costume with visible rivets (though I'm sure the knees and elbows are reinforced as well). This is the only area where I think "comic book physics" comes into play. I see no way those elbow pads allow for a shoulder's full range of motion, which seems counter-intuitive for an acrobat (not dissing the costume, I actually love this version, just nit-picking). However, the good news for you is that you can use those visible rivets to your advantage.

I suggest taking a cast of your shoulder, either with clay or something else easily malleable that won't harm your skin but still hold its shape once removed. Use the cast as a negative mold to make rigid shoulder pad. I suggest using a material that, once dry, will be rigid but can still flex a bit. Cover the shoulder pad with a fabric that resembles the rest of the suit or, hell, just a matte finish dark paint job. Then make 2 holes each on the front and back and attach snap buttons (this kind will probably have the best longevity and strongest hold). That will allow you to easily attach and detach the shoulder pads at will for convenience (i.e. attaching them for photo ops, detaching them for when larger motion is required and for putting on and taking off the suit).

Hope that at least gives you some ideas!

Agreed. IMO, the muscle shaded abs are just too much. Every costume I've made has been fine without it. I've never had someone walk up to me and say, "good job, but it would've been more accurate with abs."

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back