"You're telling me you built a time machine... out of a Volvo?!" | A DeLorean on a budget

Galifreyscall

So for this year's local halloween party, I've decided to forego a costume for myself* and do something more complicated: Turn my Volvo 850 into a DMC-12!
IMG_20240708_183513653_HDR.jpgDeLorean-DMC-12-5-Speed-22.jpg
IMG_20240708_183558921_HDR.jpg7024fe7260113b9958fdcbb09c35ae0f.jpg
...I mean they're both boxy, I guess? Okay there's not much I can do about the body, however the interior I've noticed has a similar enough vibe that most people will still look at it when finished and think "Time machine!" So that's what I'm going to be focusing on mainly, starting today with the center console!

Now, the Volvo's console has a raised armrest that holds the parking brake, and unfortunately, that armrest isn't long enough to fit all the greebles that I'll need to put on it. I started measuring, and made a quick pattern for an extended box out of leftover 'free range' coroplast that I've acquired over time; this unfortunately covers my parking brake, window controls, and cupholders, (dangit..) but those are the sacrifices we make for nerdiness. After a hasty coat of primer grey, it was ready to throw in the car!
IMG_20240708_191042354_HDR.jpgIMG_20240708_195142759.jpg
Now for the fun bit! My other (other, other, other...) hobby is collecting vintage computers, this has led to me accumulating a garage full of suitable props for all different occasions, and this occasion happens to be perfect! My substitute for the Claire-Electroseal box is a power supply for a minicomputer, an MAI Basic/Four circa. 1974. Its bulky, its brass, it fits perfectly, and it's full of high-voltage electronics! My substitute for the TFC switch is two serial switching boxes, one with the cover removed to show all the tasty tasty wiring inside; I'll get around eventually to making an acrylic lid for the top one, and the correct battery cleaner mounted to the switch. When complete these will be mounting taped to the box, and the box taped to the console, all to be cleanly removed in the future. (I gotta go back to a normal life after October, sadly :()
IMG_20240708_195742795_HDR.jpgIMG_20240708_195955390.jpgIMG_20240708_195945298.jpg
That's all I have to start off, I hope y'all will enjoy the mess I'm making as much as I am! I'll try to keep this project moving as much as possible, and I'll update this as I keep cobbling together more sections of the car with whatever low budget items I can scrape together.
Until then, I've gotta make like a tree and get outta here

Back