YUP...another y-wing.

Dymerski

Sr Member
Got this in a trade with GF. I sort of rebuilt him, left the pipes and added a pilot, and then painted her. What was fun with this is it does not represent any screen used bird, so...I added all my favorite weathering elements from the screen used craft and sort of weatherbashed it. For those of you looking for pilots, I stole one of my Sons attactics x-wing pilot figured and cut him up...they work out great!!!

Dean

Fantastic makeover!!!!

I wish it was painted like this when I originally received it from a builder, Dean you really made this model justice now.

I will soon post photos of a ANH Blockade Runner Dean just painted for me, it takes alot to impress me, I was amazed at his craftmanship and attention to detail, professional museum quality paintjob, no wonder he was chosen to do the paintmasters for MR's falcon. Can't wait to get my X-wing and Y-wing and a few more to come.

GFollano

I cant get over how amazing that looks. Care to share a run through on what you did, techniques ETC? Cheers Guy
Wow thanks.

Air brush, oil washes, water washes, a lot of brush work and NO pastel chalks.
the next one I do I will post progress pics and explain the process.
Dean

That´s such a brilliant piece of work...
Would you care to share what paint you used? Especially for the base coat and the light blue? Looks like a perfect match....I need to know because my own Y is still unpainted.
And how did you do the small "direct hit" marks on the cockpit pod?
Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

That´s such a brilliant piece of work...
Would you care to share what paint you used? Especially for the base coat and the light blue? Looks like a perfect match....I need to know because my own Y is still unpainted.
And how did you do the small "direct hit" marks on the cockpit pod?
Thanks in advance for any advice! :)
The base is just automotive white primer. Most of the paints are floquil(spelling) The same paints they used back then. The light blue is floquil primer, it photos with a blue tint. My thinking is back then they would NOT mix custom colors, they would use the paint right out of the bottle, so when matching colors on the ILM models I look at what was available and use what is close, I usually am right :redface

Steps
1. Primer black
2.primer white
3. paint all graphics
4. use floquil grime and start shadowing in area adding the blast marks and streaks.
5. Use brown, go over the same areas were the grime is but spotty and NOT heavy. NOW...using a scotch brite pad, go over all the area leaving much of the paint in the recesses and removing it from the raised areas, go light so you dont dig into the resin.
6. add all paint chips with grime not black. then in the center of the same chips use weathered black
7. start applying oil paint washes in various places using burnt umber and black
8. add all the spesific paint weathering that is on the studio model.
9. using grime again go over the areas where you used the scotch brite padd very lightly.
10. seal model with dull coat.
11. using a water color mix of black and brown make a wash. add a little dish washing soap, cover the entire model with the wash. let dry.
12. with water wipe off all the topical wash.
13 seal with dull coat
14. make sure everything you want on the model is on it paint wise. Now...using white in your airbrush, overspray the entire ship VERY LIGHTLY! all you are doing is blending all the weathering....thats how ILM did it I believe:love

There ya go. Paint away, hope this helps

Dean

Awesome piece of Y-wing there mate, youv'e done a fantastic job with the paint job, just how i want mine to look, that is when it's assembled.
Can i ask you do you ever use liquid mask/frisket dabbled about and removed to show wear underneath, i believe ILM used this technique (mainly Joe Johnston).
Regards
Stu :eek

Awesome piece of Y-wing there mate, youv'e done a fantastic job with the paint job, just how i want mine to look, that is when it's assembled.
Can i ask you do you ever use liquid mask/frisket dabbled about and removed to show wear underneath, i believe ILM used this technique (mainly Joe Johnston).
Regards
Stu :eek

I have used liquid mask, many of the pics I have of the SW models look like topical paint, not masked. They most likley did mask on some models. When I replicate the Studio paint jobs I use a brush for the nicks etc. I have more control than liquid masks.

Go here to see my x-wing
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=18298&highlight=x-wing

go here to see the other Y-wings I did for customers
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=17582&highlight=x-wing
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=17118&highlight=x-wing

All done as the steps above.

Dean

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back