ZSU-23-4V1 Shilka

Gigatron

Sr Member
Hey guys,

This is the 1/35 Dragon kit and has been on the bench for a while. This build represents a lot of firsts; hard-edged camo, dot filters and multi-layer washes.

This particular Shilka is in the 3 color camo of the Egyptian army during the October 1973 war. I chose this scheme because the other 3 options were more green and I already have a few green AFVs :cool

Shilka_Finished_1.jpg

Shilka_Finished_3.jpg

Shilka_Finished_5.jpg

As always, constructive criticisms are welcome.

Enjoy.

-Fred

Last edited:
Thanks, Rick :cool

At first, I hated doing them - nothing turned out right. The turpenoid was eathing through all my paints and turning the oil into a mud wash, more than anything else.

But then I found out I was using the wrong kind of turpenoid. The stuff I was using had an added brush conditioner. It was honey colored and kind of syrupy. Turns out the stuff I should have been using, should have had the clarity and consistency of water. I forget the brand name, but it comes in a white bottle with blue lettering. Michaels carries it in the art department, next to the oil paints.

Anyway, after a little experimenting with the technique, I really kind of like the effect it adds. It definitely adds tonal variations that are very, very subtle. At first, you won't even notice it - until you compare it to an area you haven't done yet. Then you're like :D:D:D:cool.

-Fred

Awesome! Thanx for the info. I've been wanting to try this tech for a while now, and you've given me the push I needed.

Did you seal the paint underneath before you started using the turpenoid of just went for it?

Nope, no sealing, whatsoever. The underlying paint is a mix of both acrylic and enamels and neither were affected by the turpenoid. Of course, I let them cure for over a week, so maybe that had something to do with it.

What I did, was pre-wet the area with the turpenoid, then apply the dots, then blend them in with a turpenoid dampened brush. I think the pre-wetting helps the colors flow better.

Good luck with your endeavor - it definitely adds a new dimension to weathering.

-Fred

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back