Request: Info and Pics MIB J2 Pistol

silverskyes402

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, I have a great MIB J2 that i'm going to build up, but want to get some reference pics and info before i start, here is a pic of Rick's when he did his last run, I want to get the finish just like the one's in the picture, but im not sure if these are plated or painted or what, so if anyone has one of his can you post some info on it, or info and pics on any piece really. Thanks so much!

j2s.jpg

I'm going to send you what I have found so far and hopefully others will post more info to add to it. The more the better.

The pistols in that picture are painted, and according to Rick, so was the original screen used J2.

Thanks for the info, i'll see what I can find of his,a nd I thought they were painted, not plated, now I just need to find what he used to finish them. I'll post more pics that mercury sent me for reference soon

I thought that he said the originals were machined of aluminum? I looked everywhere for the original thread but I think its long gone.

I remember clearly that the original MiB guns were reportedly painted silver. I'm building one also and, like silverskyes402, want it as accurate as possible. I also believe Rick's posts concerning the finishing have dropped off as I can't find them either.

I remember clearly that the original MiB guns were reportedly painted silver. I'm building one also and, like silverskyes402, want it as accurate as possible. I also believe Rick's posts concerning the finishing have dropped off as I can't find them either.

Y'all try the Junkyard?

From The Prop Store

Agent Kay (Tommy Lee Jones) Hero Light-Up Prop Gun Stock # 11107 The hero gun used by Agent Kay (Tommy Lee Jones) in the 1997 sci-fi action comedy Men in Black. This is the main metal light-up hero version of the Agent’s gun used throughout the film. The gun has red and green LED lights running along the side and on the sight and inside the nozzle of the gun, there is a small switch on the back, when switched on, the red light along the side and top light come on, when the trigger is pulled the red lights go off and the green lights inside the nozzle are activated. The gun is made from machined aluminium and is very elaborately and carefully sculpted specifically for this film. The gun come custom framed with a laser cut mount board which features the film’s title and three images of the inseparable duo who battle undercover to save the world from the hostile aliens. The display has a hinged, opening, front which allows the gun to be removed and handled. The display measures 67cm x 58cm (26.25” x 23”)"

MIB-HeroKayeGun2.jpg

MIB-Gun6.jpg

MIB-Gun4.jpg

MIB-Gun3.jpg

MIB-Gun2.jpg

MIB-Gun1.jpg

MIB-Gun5.jpg

I don't think the reference pics get any better then this :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet, thanks for the pics! I noticed on my kit that the front barrel where the green LEDs are the holes go from large to big, like on the pics you posted, wonder why Rick designed it like this, I thought my kit had a flaw, but after talking to mercury and seeing the pics I know it's correct now, good thing to cause I planned on making them all the same size

Thanks for the help. I have a problem with these images though. I assume it suppose to be a screen used and accurate piece. However it is different from the kits we have as well as the kits Rick was making. Even some images of the gun in the movie are different. The difference is in those emitter slots. Not that there are more than one size but that on the "metal" screened used version the small slots are on the opposite side of the gun compared to what Rick made in his run and some pics of the in-movie props.

One of Ricks last runs. Study the barrel slots where the green is shining. Notice the large slots are on the side of the gun with the dial knob. on the metal version the small slots are on that side.
Image2-4.jpg

Another shot showing the same thing.
Image4-2.jpg

At 1st I thought maybe the images were just mirrored like sometimes happens but if you keep track of the dial, you can see this isn't the case.

I wish Rick could chime in and clear this up. I was under the impression the MiB was painted and the MiB2 double barrel was machined. Did he change the slots on his run because of copyright perhaps? Was only the hero machined and the rest resin? That last makes sense money wise.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm not understanding what you're meaning? But on the ones I've owned the barrel was able to rotate in a circle, meaning the slots wouldn't always be on the same side.

Sorry, I get what you mean now. That is strange, never noticed that before. My version has the big slots on the left like the others.

It's a minor thing, but if you look at the front teardrop slots, with the biggest one on top. Running clockwise on the metal version it goes from big to the next smallest, to the next smallest, etc, on around. On the kits and Ricks, largest to smallest runs counter clockwise.

I just studied more screenshots and the the slots match the images you posted so Ricks are backwards, perhaps all the non-heros were that way or he made them that way because of copyright issues. Regardless I've decided not to worry about that as it is something most probably wouldn't notice.

So is the barrel suppose to rotate completely around or does it have a set distance of travel?

Big thanks for the info!

Well, mine spun all the way around. The one I have now was made so that it wasn't able to spin, I guess the previous owner didn't like it that way. I'm pretty sure he made the originals of machined aluminum.

The big guns I thought he said we're metal sprayed and then polished. I actually have a Tri-Barrel that's supposed to be being worked on here by a member for castings, but i haven't heard from them in a long time. Time for another email I think...

Back