The Phantom Menace Re-Release May 2024

RotS, for me, is clumsy like the rest of the PT but it has the most (for better or worse) of the PT's story. It's bigger in scope with more to say and do, and very grim in comparison to the rest of the series. Appropriately so as it's a movie about evil winning. Of the PT, it feels the most competent in how it handles its tonal shifts. It's not always good or smooth sailing but I think its pluses win out over its minuses, especially when the movie throws caution to the wind and decides to go insane. I'm perfectly happy with the Emperor throwing senate pods at Yoda while the longest sword fight ever filmed occurs on an exploding lava world.

It also has, arguably, one of the best scores not just in Star Wars, but in all of John Williams' scores. Everyone thought this was the last entry in Star Wars and he gave it his all. He has never been as good as he was in RotS for anything since. If I recall correctly, the last 10 minutes of the movie has almost no dialogue and it's all montage set to Williams' score. I remember sitting and watching that and the credits in utter awe in nearly a full theater; almost everyone who attended was entranced by it. For such an uneven movie, I've never experienced it since for anything else.

Was looking at show times by the closest theater to me. A good amount of seats are already taken through the weekend.
Parents will probably go with me, or I'd see a later showing that has seats....but you know....old people....lol.
A Monday 1:25 showing looks good, just waiting for my Mom to text back to confirm.

If this was the theater I worked at and knew anyone still there, I would totally ask them to turn up the sound and bass for the pod race part at the very least.

I just checked and my two seats are the only ones sold for my Monday showing. Which I’m totally fine with for my own personal preferences of film going, LOL.

Just saw on Daniel Logan's Facebook group, Bounty Boxes, a few people saw the movie tonight, and while the credits were rolling, two fans were battling it out with sabers. One with a blue, the other with the duel reds.
Love seeing stuff like that.

This thread is similar to my Remembering Good Times at the Cinema, just for Episode I.
I just got my tickets for this Monday, in a bigger theater than the other showings, and so far, only two other seats were taken. My parents will be going with me.

I know I had posted this in the other thread, but, appropriate here now. Working at the theater during Episode I, and being stuck taking tickets, or at the stand when all movies were already playing, I got bored and drew this.
And about the Enter stamp on the bottom.
George Lucas/Lucasfilm had threated all the theaters back then, that if there were any issues, problems, or whatever it might be, he would have all the prints pulled from that theater. Even if they found out too many people were sneaking in, things like that. I remember managers saying some theater had an issue (not sure what) but sure enough, all their prints of the film got pulled, losing a lot of money for them.
So my theater did this Enter stamp thing, to try and make sure everyone was accounted for with a ticket. Just being bored....was playing with it.
20230928_123627.jpg

Speaking of tickets, I got a better picture of my Star Wars ones,, from the 1997 Special Editions, up til Ep. III.
20240504_153022.jpg

I don’t know if it was just my theater or what but this was shown at incredibly low resolution. So many shots looked mushy, like worse than dvd. The shot where the Trade Federation tanks come over the hill and you see those little creatures in the top right, they are just blobs. The digital projector was also having issues because there would be random multicolored squares in the bottom of the screen every minute or so. Anyone else experience this?

I don’t know if it was just my theater or what but this was shown at incredibly low resolution. So many shots looked mushy, like worse than dvd. The shot where the Trade Federation tanks come over the hill and you see those little creatures in the top right, they are just blobs. The digital projector was also having issues because there would be random multicolored squares in the bottom of the screen every minute or so. Anyone else experience this?
Not that with any film....yet. Hopefully never.
But, with the theater I'm going to tomorrow, sitting even around the middle, I can tell its digital, as it as a little bit of pixilation. Not too bad, and as I watch a film there, I tend to get used to it.
Watching Oppenheimer at a digital Imax, at another theater was even more noticeable to me.

Something like this, with the top being like the normal resolution, and the bottom having a bit of the pixilation, noticeable in the hairline and a along the fingers. Probably need to bring it up full screen to see. I also just made it up in photoshop as this test. We'll see by tomorrow how it all looks for real.
Of course, what your saying sounds like a major problem with the projector itself, and that they shouldn't even be showing anything on it til its fixed properly.
pixels.jpg

Was just checking if anymore seats have been taken. So far, just the six, three of which are myself and parents. Not bad.
Screen shot of it. This was one of their bigger theaters, which looks around 128ish seats.
SWtheater.jpg

The theater I used to work at had much larger auditoriums with many more seats, as well as none of this online select your seating stuff. So just curious, I looked up the showing in one of the biggest theaters, which this one used to have 451 seats. They might have changed them all out by now, being 26 years later.
But, heres what it looks like on line, vs the above "large" theater. Even the smallest auditorium had like 160 seats. 22 screens altogether....of which I had to clean all of them by myself during the week. I guess thats how I could drink so much soda and not really gain any weight back then....plus, you get away with a lot in your teens and early 20s.
Oldtheater.jpg

Anyone here when you first saw it in 1999 get to see the a version with maul NOT cut in half?

I remember the rumors in the aol chat rooms.. and took them as trolls. To later in life see that the rumors were still going on

I’ve read that early reels were shipped out with maul not getting cut in half, and then Lucas changed his mind last minute

I have yet to meet someone who’s actually seen it where he’s not cut in half

Always wondered if this was true..

Anyone here when you first saw it in 1999 get to see the a version with maul NOT cut in half?

I remember the rumors in the aol chat rooms.. and took them as trolls. To later in life see that the rumors were still going on

I’ve read that early reels were shipped out with maul not getting cut in half, and then Lucas changed his mind last minute

I remember those rumors as well, but I've never met anyone who actually confirmed seeing Maul fall down in one piece.

So apparently the picture quality issues i was seeing werent just my theater. It seems this was a 4k release with horrible over-cranking of the noise reduction.

I saw TPM on opening day in 1999 and I recall Maul being cut in half.

Granted, I saw the movie several more times in the next few months/years so my memory could have been overwritten. And there was no internet (on the level of today) so it was easier to keep a lid on a last-minute change. You only talked about a movie with your friends in real life back then.

But I think the "memory" of this change has a different cause:

IIRC Lucas did do an early screening where Maul wasn't cut in half yet, but it wasn't in the public release. I remember some article/interview chatter where Lucas said the movie's earliest viewers were saying, "So this Maul guy is coming back later, right?" That made Lucas decide to show him cut in half at the last minute to demonstrate that he was dead.

In 1999 the common refrain from annoyed viewers was "Too much Jar-Jar, not enough Maul!" Lucas did need to show Maul being cut in half to put the issue to rest. Maul had to be gone so Palpatine would be in the market for a new apprentice.

One of the few people who saw a rough cut of the movie (or at least the final act) before the release was Spielberg. I could picture him asking George about Darth Maul coming back.

Last edited:
So apparently the picture quality issues i was seeing werent just my theater. It seems this was a 4k release with horrible over-cranking of the noise reduction.

Well, it is a re-release of a SW flick. The experience wouldn't be complete without some aggravating new change to it.

Well are the theaters receiving hard drives for this? Or is it like those streamed Fathom things? Because if it's the latter, there's your pixellation problem.

I've never heard that rumor before actually. Now me, on my first viewing, as he is falling down the shaft, I thought like a cape, clothing, or something was falling with him....and heard all the gasp in the theater. I must have questioned it, as my friend is like, no, he just got cut in half.
SO like 30 mins after that showing, we already had tickets to go see it again. The next time I watched more closely....and sure enough, cut in two.

Last edited:
Honestly i wasnt seeing pixelation, other than the random projector artifacts that i think were just my theater's projector. It was more like over done de-noising like i mentioned, like it had been run through too many filters. And just an overall mushy picture quality. Though some of it may just be that some shots honestly werent super sharp to begin with, mostly hr stuff that's fully cg.

Went to see it with people of many ages.
It was fun for kids to be able to see the *first* Star Wars movie in a fancy theatre. First as in the first in the Star Wars trilogy's timeline.

It is a strong movie. I really enjoyed Quigon and Obiwan's interaction and differences. And Yoda was beautiful! He looked almost as good as a cyberman sculpt! I have no problem with midichlorians. Even for kids who had seen it on tv, their eyes were glued to pod-racing and lightsaber fights! When they stop eating popcorn, you know they are diggin' it!

To me, THAT is Star Wars.

Portman looks soooo young! But her voice reminded me of her monotone Jackie Onasis movie *cringe*.

And then The Acolyte preview. Don't watch it if you ever saw old martial arts movies. Fight in a noodle house?!?! Really? I'll take bad stereotypes for $100, please! Atleast we didnt hear whip cracking with every blow! We left talking with our mouths moving out-of-synch with what we were saying.

***not actual lines from preview, but would have fit right in***

"Noooo fighting in my bar! If you want to fight, fight outside!"

"Your crane style is very good!"

"Ah, the dragon ALWAYS sweeps its tail!"

"Did you just bring a petite dagger to a light saber fight?"

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back