1/4 Scale Rocketeer Jetpack Paint Colour

RossW

I bought a cool 3D file of the Rocketeer off CGTrader and upscaled the jetpack to replace the crappy vinyl one for my 90s Screamin’ model kit build, and I’m wondering what the group think would be the best aluminum paint? I’ve done one coat of the Vallejo Metal Color aluminum and it looks ok but maybe too shiny?

Thoughts?

IMG_1850.jpeg

(Yes, there are some 3D printing artifacts visible but they’ll be sanded away)

Not to rain on your parade ('cause, in the end, if you're happy with it, that's the main thing), but gnolivos did an exact replica of that jet pack that's way more accurate than the one you've shown...(y)(y)

Not to rain on your parade ('cause, in the end, if you're happy with it, that's the main thing), but gnolivos did an exact replica of that jet pack that's way more accurate than the one you've shown...(y)(y)
Thanks, but I’m happy with this. It’s a colour recommendation I’m looking for.

You need something a little darker. More over into steel or light gunmetal.

You actually might achieve that by doing a coat of heavily thinned black - like a wash. Though, it may dull the metallic sheen because that paint you used really doesn't look like it has much of that look to it.

You need something a little darker. More over into steel or light gunmetal.

You actually might achieve that by doing a coat of heavily thinned black - like a wash. Though, it may dull the metallic sheen because that paint you used really doesn't look like it has much of that look to it.
The photo doesn’t do it justice, but you do get a nice sheen with this paint. But I agree it needs to be darker - going to try their Dark Aluminum colour next.

Yeah, Vallejo always have a kind of "painted" look to their metallic paints. Maybe consider switching to Alclad or Mig Ammo metallics depending on where you live for future projects.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back