Build your own Batmobile Tumbler

Apparently Nolan wasn't happy with the full size drop so we did it in miniature. Or at least that's the story we heard at the time. Sucks that they destroyed all but one of the Tumblers.

I was the CAD designer on all 3 films. Had to complete the set :). although the steel frame in the picture was designed by Andy Smith. My main involvement with the tumbler was designing the buck (interior and gamble) I also did the after burner, guns,wings. such a long time ago now. I got asked to work on the last one but there’s only so much Batman you need on your CV.
Unreal. Thank you for designing my favorite movie vehicle of all time. It's stiff competition with the ecto 1, but the tumbler takes the win.

Having the Partworks kit shipped to the US would have put the total cost somewhere in the $6,000 range, so that's a hard no. I did just order the Hot Toys 1/6 scale model which looks pretty cool . It will be my first Hot Toys collectible.

We dropped a real one. Nolan wanted all the cars destroyed so they couldn’t be used in another film only one remains

That seems unnnecessary IMO.

A theatrical Batmobile is way too recognizeable. They are safe from being re-used even when it's a weak Batman movie, never mind a good one.

I helped build the 1:3 scale Tumbler for Dark Knight Rises.

View attachment 1661923
No way ! Is that you ? Very cool. There's something I've always wanted to ask about the 1/3 scale model. Were the tires vulcanised rubber. Or some sort of silicone, or urethane. I've looked into various urethanes for scale tires for RC cars, but wasn't sure about the durability. And forget about vulcanized tires in the small shop. Steel molds and hot rubber. Not in my budget, lol.

Just to be clear I don’t what to take credit for designing the tumbler. That was Nathan. The end result was a huge collaborative based over Andy Smith work vehicle. May main job was the buck. I did add the the jet burner guns and wing flaps. Like all these jobs concept work is done before people like me get involved. Nolan and Nathan arrived on all 3 production with design 80 percent done.

No way ! Is that you ? Very cool. There's something I've always wanted to ask about the 1/3 scale model. Were the tires vulcanised rubber. Or some sort of silicone, or urethane. I've looked into various urethanes for scale tires for RC cars, but wasn't sure about the durability. And forget about vulcanized tires in the small shop. Steel molds and hot rubber. Not in my budget, lol.
That is me, in desperate need of a hair cut and a shave.
We just used cast urethane for the tires...from what I remember. Keep in mind, our Tumbler didn't have to run, just drop through a ceiling and smash into a grated floor.

Last edited:
Coincidentally, Tumbler prop referenced in this Gamespot article about a new kit bashing video game (posted today):

LINK

"If you're unaware of the hobby, kitbashing is essentially an evolution of model building where you have to think outside of the box (literally) to produce a custom creation. Using parts from multiple kits and re-engineering them so that they'll fit together, it's possible to create a unique work of art... or a crime against plastic.

A prime example of kitbashing would be the original model used as inspiration for the Tumbler Batmobile that first appeared in 2005's Batman Begins. Director Christopher Nolan and production designer Nathan Crowley used several model kits to create a rough version of the iconic Batmobile that was then used to create larger 1:12 scale models and a full-size replica."

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back