Correcting the Lunar Models 41" Excelsior

Those drawings are well done! I tid-bit for correction if I may...

I noticed this because I've already started mapping out the deflector patterns for my masters.

In short, the top pattern is in 16deg wedges while the bottom pattern is in 15deg wedges. Both have a common gridline down the center-beam of the saucer to the bow of the saucer as a starting point.

That's why the top grid aligns with the thrusters and phaser banks, while the bottom pattern aligns with the nav lights at port n starboard.

Tracy

Last edited:
Graphics being worked out for the panels under the impulse engine exhaust ports.

A basic pattern was provided and printed it out. It still needs to be fitted properly in my scale. There are some refined details needed to be added... i.e., the bottom set of panels are not one section. They are actually divided up into 5 squares.

The pattern seen here is the original paint scheme. The only Excelsior's that sported this version before the first repaint were the NX Excelsior, the Hood, the Repulse, and the Melbourne. After that the studio model was repainted to give her a face lift for the big screen in Star Trek VI as the NCC Excelsior.

I did a test with pencil to draft in the weathering just to see how it turns out.

Tracy

1706415103359.png

Last edited:
To get all the above to work, the arse-end of the superstructure master needed to be corrected to the right shape and profile.

Here a paper template was made using a scaled image of the studio model to get the exact shape of the impulse exhaust region.
1711426153566.png

Sturdier styrene templates were fabricated to use as guides on where to add the sculpting material. You can also see here where the unwanted resin material is.
The exhaust had to be removed for a couple of reasons.
1. Easier to vacuum form the master.
2. Refined details on the top of the exhaust ports would be better scratch built.
1711426187530.png

This shows just how far off the Lunar Models shape really is with the sculpting material in place. The scribed line on the side of the master shows what needs to be removed.
1711426221641.png

After removing the unwanted resin material, the entire aft end is blended together.
1711426249890.png

A fresh coat of primer reveals the now corrected shape of the aft end of the superstructure. IT IS DONE and ready to be molded so a plaster buck for vacuum forming can be cast.
1711426303885.png

With the corrections made, the size-n-shape of the impulse engine exhaust port's footprint has been determined - as I said earlier, the exhaust ports will be scratch built from sheet styrene. The surface area's size-n-shape under the exhaust for the large blue graphics panels (as scene above) has also been determined.
1711426328364.png

Sorry for the delays. I'm flying the Boeing 777 now which means I'm away more than I'm home for the mean time.

Tracy

Last edited:
Raised detail being added to the top surface.
1711749271734.png

The lower exhaust plate was added, and light weight filler was used to fill the cavity and give the masters strength.
1711749297794.png

After shaping everything by removing the excess styrene, the masters were coated in glazing putty to fill scratches in the surface.
1711749319957.png

After sanding smooth...
1711749360748.png

1.5mm styrene half dowels were added to the top surface's details.
1711749387784.png

To create more relief, the dowels were masked off and a thin layer of glazing putty was applied, allowed to cure, then sanded smooth.
1711749442396.png

1711749468446.png

Compairing to the studio model.
1711749492592.png

Impulse exhaust port masters completed; I taped them to the now finished superstructure master to see how they look.
1711749515772.png

1711749535468.png

Grill graphics for the impulse exhaust. I'm no good on a PC so I'm drawing them out by hand.
1712816754512.png

Oval Templates made to separate the thick and thin grill lines.
1712816868028.png

The ol' Elementary school making hearts for Valintine's Day technique to get mirror opposites.
1712816830616.png

Templates put in place...
1712816945396.png

1712816921994.png

Ovals left in place...
1712816978672.png

Tracing over the exposed grid lines to thicken them up.
1712817000580.png

Oval templates removed... Not bad for free hand.
1712817051280.png

Exhaust ports placed to see how they look.
1712817077810.png

Courtesy of ILM Excelsior Modeler Bill George, lit images of the studio model's impulse exhaust with my efforts.
1712817095330.png

These drawings - like my other graphics - will be scanned and cleaned up on the PC to be printed on to clear decal paper for the construction phase.

Tracy

Last edited:
I have finally moved on to the last section of the masters - the ware engine pylon assembly. This whole section was badly represented in the original kit's configuration. Here are the steps I've taken so far in fixing the shape and adding the correct details to their surface.

The middle blister was fine3 length and height-wise, but the width was significantly too wide.

The original shape in solid resin.
IMG_0854

Using a scaled image of this section into my scale, I made a paper template.
IMG_0908

IMG_0907

The template was traced out onto the base of the dome. Here you can see how far off the shape was.
IMG_0851

After the unwanted resin was ground away by a belt sander
IMG_0855

Now the new base had to be feathered into the rest of the dome.
IMG_0856

Results after careful sanding, shaping, and polishing to blend everything together.
IMG_0861

On to the pylons...

Ensuring everything is still in scale, the finished secondary hull master was pressed up to the screen to make sure the Warp section will be in scale to the rest of the ship. Here a paper template was made to determine the size of the pylons and their position.
IMG_0860

Pylon template.
IMG_0859

All the materials to correct the warp pylon assembly except for sculping and filler materials.
IMG_0863

More to come!

Tracy

Back to the pylons...

Grey strip styrene was cemented together at the right size to establish the correct wingspan. The markings are for cutting out trenches into the resin for 3/16" brass tubing. They will be sleeves for steal rod armatures during assembly on the bottom, and a single 1/4" brass tube for running wiring for power to the lights in the warp nacelles. Later on, I extended to bottom trenches for more support.

1715145877883.png

1715144679395.png

After the assembly was glued together, the terrible inconsistencies in shape and thickness became more obvious. The whole thing would need to be reshaped.
1715145966198.png

1715144734727.png

1715144770869.png

Here, sheet styrene with groves in it was selected to represent the grill details in the leading and trailing edges of the horizontal section of the pylons, and be used as a base for establishing a flat horizontal pylon wing tip to wing tip.
1715144797267.png

closer look... Two strips were cut for the leading and trailing edges.
1715144827694.png

Here they are glued into place using the flat surface of the table as a guide.
1715144856326.png

Styrene quarter round was cemented in place. These will be used to establish the new shaped for the cord (cross section) of the pylons.
1715144887711.png

Excess styrene removed.
1715144913063.png

Epoxy dough was used to fill in to the new edges. Only one section required resin to be removed by grinding and blended into the new edge.

Bottom
1715144973725.png

1715144994865.png

Identical jigs made from sheet and tube styrene.
1715146078991.png

Here they are inserted on the ends of the bottom set of brass tubing. This should keep them parallel in the assembly. When the pylon wing is finished, it will be cut down the middle of the grey styrene shim exposing the open brass tubing withing. During final assembly the warp pylons should go back together perfectly aligned with steel rod in the brass.
1715146053847.png

Here, the brass tubing is set in the trenches and glued in with 5min epoxy.
1715146098793.png

More to come with the vertical sections of the pylons and the 1/4" brass tubing for an electrical conduit for wiring.

Tracy

Back to the pylons...

Grey strip styrene was cemented together at the right size to establish the correct wingspan. The markings are for cutting out trenches into the resin for 3/16" brass tubing. They will be sleeves for steal rod armatures during assembly on the bottom, and a single 1/4" brass tube for running wiring for power to the lights in the warp nacelles. Later on, I extended to bottom trenches for more support.

View attachment 1818153

View attachment 1818140

After the assembly was glued together, the terrible inconsistencies in shape and thickness became more obvious. The whole thing would need to be reshaped.
View attachment 1818155

View attachment 1818141

View attachment 1818142

Here, sheet styrene with groves in it was selected to represent the grill details in the leading and trailing edges of the horizontal section of the pylons, and be used as a base for establishing a flat horizontal pylon wing tip to wing tip.
View attachment 1818143

closer look... Two strips were cut for the leading and trailing edges.
View attachment 1818144

Here they are glued into place using the flat surface of the table as a guide.
View attachment 1818146

Styrene quarter round was cemented in place. These will be used to establish the new shaped for the cord (cross section) of the pylons.
View attachment 1818147

Excess styrene removed.
View attachment 1818148

Epoxy dough was used to fill in to the new edges. Only one section required resin to be removed by grinding and blended into the new edge.

Bottom
View attachment 1818149

View attachment 1818150

Identical jigs made from sheet and tube styrene.
View attachment 1818157

Here they are inserted on the ends of the bottom set of brass tubing. This should keep them parallel in the assembly. When the pylon wing is finished, it will be cut down the middle of the grey styrene shim exposing the open brass tubing withing. During final assembly the warp pylons should go back together perfectly aligned with steel rod in the brass.
View attachment 1818156

Here, the brass tubing is set in the trenches and glued in with 5min epoxy.
View attachment 1818158

More to come with the vertical sections of the pylons and the 1/4" brass tubing for an electrical conduit for wiring.

Tracy
Awesome work, but I have to ask Tracy: with all the issues with the pylons here, would it be easier to simply scratch build a new part? Not to discount the work you've done already, it's just that all that you've had to do raises the question in my mind of how this will hold up over time?

Great Update Tracy!!! Wow - your old school approach is amazing and commendable!! It's so refreshing to see old school techniques, and the long history of your construction on this project!! Keep up the incredible work and awesome updates!! Nice Job!
-Sean

First coat of epoxy dough applied to fill in the trenches and secure the brass tubing.
Smooth On's Air Epoxy dough is very light, but also very strong. It will add to the strength of the pylons.
IMG_0921

Second coat of Epoxy dough applied to establish the new shape. When this cures, I'll come back to this to sand to shaped.
IMG_0922

In the meantime, I've moved to the Warp Pylon Blister/Junction to scratch build the grilled details under the dome. This is the same characteristics in the neck and Warp Nacelles.

The updated shape of the dome is used to trace out 7 layers for this grill detail. They were cut by heavy duty shears to get through the .7mm sheet styrene.
IMG_0932

Here they are stacked to be sanded to a uniform shape after minor deviations from hand cutting each layer.
IMG_0934

To make the spacer plates, 3/16" was removed from 4 of the plates...
IMG_0935

Then they were sanded again to unify the spacer's shape.
IMG_0937

Nothing is glued yet, but here's a test stacking to see how it came out.
IMG_0938

Back to the pylons soon.

Tracy

First coat of epoxy dough applied to fill in the trenches and secure the brass tubing.
Smooth On's Air Epoxy dough is very light, but also very strong. It will add to the strength of the pylons.
View attachment 1820222

Second coat of Epoxy dough applied to establish the new shape. When this cures, I'll come back to this to sand to shaped.
View attachment 1820223

In the meantime, I've moved to the Warp Pylon Blister/Junction to scratch build the grilled details under the dome. This is the same characteristics in the neck and Warp Nacelles.

The updated shape of the dome is used to trace out 7 layers for this grill detail. They were cut by heavy duty shears to get through the .7mm sheet styrene.
View attachment 1820224

Here they are stacked to be sanded to a uniform shape after minor deviations from hand cutting each layer.
View attachment 1820225

To make the spacer plates, 3/16" was removed from 4 of the plates...
View attachment 1820226

Then they were sanded again to unify the spacer's shape.
View attachment 1820227

Nothing is glued yet, but here's a test stacking to see how it came out.
View attachment 1820228

Back to the pylons soon.

Tracy
Okay, that answered my concern! I was just worried that it may not have held over time, and you've put so much hard work into this project!!!

Speaking of which: really liking the rib detail on the pylon mount!! :D

A small update...

Cutting the center circle in all the plates. This allows routing of the nacelle wiring out of the pylons through the blister/dome down into the secondary hull.
IMG_0940

Cementing all the plates except two using brass tubing as an alignment jig, and 1-2-3 blocks to keep the assembly flat to the table while it cures.
IMG_0948

Assembly complete - save two plates. One is .7mm like the rest, the other is .5mm. One of these will be the spacer between this assembly and the surface of the secondary hull. I'm looking more into this because images suggest that the spacing may be narrower that the spacing in the grill itself. Once I figure it out, I'll cement the chosen plate on.
IMG_0951

Final sanding to the horizontal pylon section is complete.

Top surface...
IMG_0943

Bottom surface...
IMG_0942

The scaled drafting of the templates that will make the 16 raised pylon panels (top n bottom). The drawing was scanned then printed onto thick card paper to make them more durable.
IMG_0946

Bottom...
IMG_0950

Top...
IMG_0949

Thanks for lookin'. More to come.

Tracy

feek61.
All of the main components, such as the saucer halves, the secondary hull, the nacelles, and the pylon assembly are all present. They've just been drastically updated.
The rest is either scratch built or 3D modeled/printed. The 3D modeling became a necessity because those sections were identified as greebles used by ILM. The greebles/kit parts are not in my scale. Scratch building some of the intricate model kit parts into my scale would have been more of a challenge I was willing to undertake.

Tracy

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back