Dooku & Sidious Sabers

AMSW

Can I safely assume these were entirely machined hilts (ie, no found parts) ?

And if so, who makes the best / most accurate of each nowadays ?

thank you

They were a combination of chomed resin casts and machined parts. Anakin Starkiller is designing a Dooku and planning for a run. No one's done an accurate run of Palpatine sabers so Master Replicas is the best out there in my opinion. Dooku has a Covertek wheel which is a found part and grips which could have been pulled from something and Palpatine has LEDs that are inlaid around a beveled disk.

Last edited:
They were a combination of chomed resin casts and machined parts. Anakin Starkiller is designing a Dooku and planning for a run. No one's done an accurate run of Palpatine sabers so Master Replicas is the best out there in my opinion. Dooku has a Covertek wheel which is a found part and grips which could have been pulled from something and Palpatine has LEDs that are inlaid around a beveled disk.
Do you not count the KR/OneReplicas one or the SP Sabers one?

I think the “hook” on the dooku hero is metal, but the little chrome fitted piece on the back of the pommel has a seam line along the center. Grip recesses are deeper than I expected, this saber baffles me

To me an accurate Palpatine saber would be a mixed material build with all the wonderful asymmetries. A lot of the ones available are idealised in the way that they go all metal and straight and pretty in design. The only reason I go with MR is because it was designed directly off the hero prop.

SP's is pretty much 1:1 with the MR. He successfully replicated that finish and color
Capture.jpg

Correction on a few of the points raised:

IIRC, Dooku's AotC was actually made in metal. Likely made from machined aluminium stock and (possibly) cast aluminium parts for the main hilt segments. The whole hilt, but the "knuckle" segment, has a polished metal finish. The prong that runs the length is aluminium. The one's made for RotS are resin casts off of this piece and vacuum metallized/chromed. The Hero AotC hilt was in the private possession of Christopher Lee in a bank box before he passed (don't know where it is now) and the chromed resin Hero for RotS was recently auctioned off by Nick Gillard.

Palpatine's RotS hilt(s) were made last-minute on production, literally while filming. Anakin was originally supposed to fight Windu, then it was Palpatine fighting Windu with Anakin being a wallflower, but then Lucas changed it last minute to Palpatine only and the thing was quickly designed and produced, essentially, for inserts. Palpatine still fights with Anakin's skinny-flex stunt during the sequence with Windu in every shot but for the close-ups of the hilt at the beginning of the fight, and the cg shot of it flying out the window. It's likely that the whole thing was 3D designed and printed, cast, and vacuum metalized, too, just due to production needs. They had enough time to make a number of them to get the color finalized as there have been a number of prototype pieces appearing over time in the wild. The MR is still the closest to accurate, IMO, but the color is inaccurate for both the hero and the V2. In that regard, there's not been an accurate Palpy hilt made and every replica made off of the MR since is inaccurate if they reproduce the color, too.

The chancellor's office hero hilt was colored gold and then overlaid with a gun-metal gray to make it resemble electrum. The rib and puck parts of the hilt are colored gold, and the cone (and possibly the nipple, too, with some further color for a gradient effect) is colored in the same fashion as the main hilt. The only possible metal parts on either version of the hilt is the emitter, which may have been machined brass. This can be seen in photos of the prop(s) today with the patina that has formed over time.

The Palpy V2 (Yoda duel) is the exact same prop but for different color and an addition of a Covertec wheel at the back of hilt. The emitter is potentially machined brass, but the body "wrap" around the main grip section is a blackened brass/bronze color. The cone and puck on this hilt is a dark patina bronze, with something similar for the nipple (with some extra work for a gradient effect). The rib section remains the same gold color from the Hero but in a duller finish.

I made my own Palpatine hilts from cast metal a year ago. They're not accurate as I wanted to add my own touches to them and wanted them more hand-made like the OT sabers. The V2 I still hold as the most beautiful thing I've ever made, but the Hero, which I tried to make in bronze to mimic electrum, turned out terrible. It's something I'd like to tackle again in future.

I'm also prepping to try my hand at making a cast-metal/machined parts Dooku, as well. I just need to finish the buck for the cast pieces.

Last edited:
Thank you for this write up :) I'll have to look into the Dooku and it's materials for AOTC but I just assumed since the ROTS was resin it was also in ATOC.

Edit- So the emitter and grip cage (not sure what to call it) were machined in aluminum for AOTC? If so that's crazy! Was that done with CNC machining back then?

Last edited:
So once again, MR straying away from prop accuracy and instead opting for idealization. Not surprising
You'd have to think about master replicas as a company meant to serve the average star wars fan instead of people like us on the rpf who love a perfect replica. Most people would look at a wonky designed product as cheap or poorly made and with the price points I feel no one would have bought anything if they were 100 true in design.

I disagree, especially with how "True-to-the-prop" and "Hardcore Collector" they were advertised as. These also had a retail price of around $300 - 500 back in the day. If anything, the average fan would instead opt for the cheaper Force FX line

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I know a lot of people who prefer idealized hilts rather than dead-on prop accurate. I'm just commenting on how unsurprising it is that MR didn't get these hilts right in the sense of being "the most accurate" contrary to popular belief

I disagree, especially with how "True-to-the-prop" and "Hardcore Collector" they were advertised as. These also had a retail price of around $300 - 500 back in the day. If anything, the average fan would instead opt for the cheaper Force FX line

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I know a lot of people who prefer idealized hilts rather than dead-on prop accurate. I'm just commenting on how unsurprising it is that MR didn't get these hilts right in the sense of being "the most accurate" contrary to popular belief
Yea I agree, the whole "most accurate" thing with Master Replicas is pretty misleading

So the emitter and grip cage (not sure what to call it) were machined in aluminum for AOTC? If so that's crazy! Was that done with CNC machining back then?

The emitter can be machined on a lathe, radii can be done by hand without issue; it requires steady hands, but not impossible. The grip section could also be made from two aluminium tubes, but it could also be made from something else and sandcast. The curved section that bridges the emitter and grip section is what makes me believe that it could've been a sandcast element. It too can be made with just a metal tube, the notches being how they got the tube to bend, but the grit in the grooves looks like what I get when I cast my ANH stunt hilts.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back