Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

Spoilers ahead!

One thing I wondered. Melody had this whole arc of unfinished business, standard general ghost stuff from other stories and standard ghost hunting stuff... but that is fairly unusual for a ghostbusters movie, as most of what they hunt is more akin to monsters. But why wasn't this plotline the basis for the movie about ghost busting?

I kinda wanted them to go deeper into that and not bother with the boring monster world ending threat as that thing and whole storyline was the weakest point of the movie. Melody's story and what she represented and her befriending Phoebe was way more interesting. But, the whole "unfinished business" thing. Is that a thing all the ghosts and monsters struggle with and is the ghostbusters' hunting, trapping and restraining them in that containment thing preventing them from dealing with that and ultimately moving on. Are the ghosbusters basically condemning the ghosts to eternal limbo? Maybe they need to learn how to help them move on. That could have been the point of Winston's new place and a bigger part of the movie. And basically... since these are clearly the souls of dead people and sentient monsters and beings... do the ghostbusters even have the right to contain them.

The mayor character should have been used better. Even though he did things the wrong way and was vindictive, he still has a point regarding what the ghostbusters are doing - using dangerous equipment and endangering lives.

+ where was all the lewd stuff?

Gary was a geologist. That's why he was in Summerville and a summer school teacher because of the quakes.
Right, but my point is that he's not some high-level scientist that has extensive knowledge of parapsychology or physics, like the original Ghostbusters. Winston entrusted the firehouse, all the tech, and the job of being Ghostbusters to him and the Spenglers based mainly on their familial relationship to Egon. It doesn't seem like the best business decision. It's a plot contrivance.

Spoilers ahead!

One thing I wondered. Melody had this whole arc of unfinished business, standard general ghost stuff from other stories and standard ghost hunting stuff... but that is fairly unusual for a ghostbusters movie, as most of what they hunt is more akin to monsters. But why wasn't this plotline the basis for the movie about ghost busting?

I kinda wanted them to go deeper into that and not bother with the boring monster world ending threat as that thing and whole storyline was the weakest point of the movie. Melody's story and what she represented and her befriending Phoebe was way more interesting. But, the whole "unfinished business" thing. Is that a thing all the ghosts and monsters struggle with and is the ghostbusters' hunting, trapping and restraining them in that containment thing preventing them from dealing with that and ultimately moving on. Are the ghosbusters basically condemning the ghosts to eternal limbo? Maybe they need to learn how to help them move on. That could have been the point of Winston's new place and a bigger part of the movie. And basically... since these are clearly the souls of dead people and sentient monsters and beings... do the ghostbusters even have the right to contain them.

The mayor character should have been used better. Even though he did things the wrong way and was vindictive, he still has a point regarding what the ghostbusters are doing - using dangerous equipment and endangering lives.

I agree, there's a disparity in the types of spirits shown in all these movies. But I felt that the character of Melody and how she was shown didn't line up with anything we've seen before. The closest we saw was Egon in Afterlife, but even he didn't speak - which I know was mainly in deference to Harold Ramis's memory, but it also worked better for the story not having him speak. And the original two films didn't really have spirits that looked and spoke like normal humans. The librarian was the only one that I can recall that had more of a human form, but, again, she didn't speak - she only "shushed" the Ghostbusters before turning into a flying ghoul. And other human-type characters like Zuul and Vigo needed to be brought into the living world through extraordinary measures - they didn't really exist as spirits that could just sit down and talk to a living person. Melody just appearing and having a relatively normal conversation with Phoebe, and normal, human appearance, seemed out of place.

So I agree that there's always been an issue with the idea that these ghosts are the spirits of formerly living humans that end up confined to the firehouse containment unit indefinitely, but the inclusion of ghosts with more human qualities only highlights the problem. I would've rather they didn't address it and didn't bring a more-human ghost like Melody into the Ghostbusters universe.

Right, but my point is that he's not some high-level scientist that has extensive knowledge of parapsychology or physics, like the original Ghostbusters. Winston entrusted the firehouse, all the tech, and the job of being Ghostbusters to him and the Spenglers based mainly on their familial relationship to Egon. It doesn't seem like the best business decision. It's a plot contrivance.
To be fair, Winston wasn't a scientist either when he first signed up.

Spoilers ahead!

That's all too funny because my wife and I discussed it and we both agreed (not an everyday thing LOL) that everything involving phoebe and Melody was boring and needless as Oswald's role in the movie. The whole slightly broody Phoebe stuff was irritating enough.

If Ghostbusters wasn't about the fun in how they have to react to and conquer the big baddy, then there's no point to making them. I mean, these are supposed to be comedies (fantasy, a little horror, action, wrapped in comedy), not soap eps of the week. How boring as hell would that be if they pivoted into helping spirits move on.

GhostBusters... Rebranding as GhostCounselors. I'd rather watch that horrible rebooted one with McCarthy. Now THAT would be scary.

The librarian was the only one that I can recall that had more of a human form,

blow job Ghost. I suppose it's up for debate if that was a dream or not, but it shows authorial intent.

Personally I think stuck human souls are rather rare, and usually benign. most of the ghosts are entities from other dimensions or manifestations of strong emotions. The librarian and the Scoleri brothers may just be echos of the real people.

blow job Ghost. I suppose it's up for debate if that was a dream or not, but it shows authorial intent.

Personally I think stuck human souls are rather rare, and usually benign. most of the ghosts are entities from other dimensions or manifestations of strong emotions. The librarian and the Scoleri brothers may just be echos of the real people.
Yeah, I didn't include her because to me it seems more clear thst it was a dream because it transitions to Ray asleep, rolling around by himself. I think it's quite possible they intended to have it be a real ghost and, for whatever reason, chsnged their minds and tacked on Ray by himself.

Yeah, I didn't include her because to me it seems more clear thst it was a dream because it transitions to Ray asleep, rolling around by himself. I think it's quite possible they intended to have it be a real ghost and, for whatever reason, chsnged their minds and tacked on Ray by himself.

Yes, there was a sub-plot that was cut.

But I would go ahead and put the Library Ghost in that category. She's human enough looking when not provoked. Who's to say Melody couldn't someday learn to "hulk out"?

Another minor quibble I had was with Kumsil Nanjiani's character, Nadeem. Not the character itself, but how he's basically a superhero now. In the other movies, human characters were granted supernomal powers temporarily from the evil entities, and lost them when those entities were vanquished (Dana, Louis, Janosz). Nadeem just had the powers throughout, didn't know it, and apparently still has them after everything.

Titanic and its passengers arrived in New York in the second one. They looked normal.

There's also the cab driver in the first movie. And the miner in Afterlife going for a coffee.

Some folklore about ghosts have them start out normal looking and then the longer they linger they warp and change into something else - deformed by their unfinished business and their regrets and anger and frustrations. Maybe that's what all or some of the other "ghost monsters" are. Deformed ghosts of normal people.

Maybe we should have the mods merge the two Frozen Empire threads. :)

Because of the Liberian ghost I figured in the GB universe you can appear as human form and you can transform into a “scary ghost”

And if it’s true, if it were me I’d be a evil ghost all day lol

A lot of this is discussed in Tobin's Spirit Guide... maybe you guys should pick up a copy when it comes out. :p

YRipXY5l.jpg

Hmm. That cover doesn't look quite right. A work like that would be less whimsical and more academic. The actual title should be more like: Exhaustive Guide to the Spiritual Realm by J. H. Tobin or something similar. Considering that such a work would have been completed during the height of spiritualism movement, it should look more serious. "Tobin's Spirit Guide" is too informal and indicates more of a bar manual than a supernatural study.

The same is true of Spate's Catalogue.

I'm not sure why the producers would let a detail like this slide especially with someone like Aykroyd involved in the project.

Last edited:
Well... that's just the cover. The title page reads:

Tobin's Spirit Guide
Singe Complete Volume
Encyclopedia
A Collection of Work in Reference to
Paranormal Entities, Manifestations
& all other Supernatural Beings.
By John H. Tobin

It's got a more period vibe to it. But the book is dated to the late 1920s, so that's some pretty cooky times with styles varying all over the place. Even some of the Victorian era books were crazy... not as straight laced as we often think.

well i saw the movie last night. I'll be honest i have to temper my review slightly as my general experience of watching the movie was tainted by a pair of kids who were 100% not old enough to have been allowed in to the cinema to see this. with a rating of 12a they were indeed accompanied by an adult however im not sure kids of 12 would have been in pyjamas with their favourite cuddly toy. anyway the adult did little to stop them messing around and having their phones out lighting up the theatre periodically. so with that factored in, and im sure it made me miss a few details but i think over all my honest feeling of the movie was it was just a bit flat overall. usually i would have been excited by the idea of ecto-c but it just felt a bit cheesy. likewise the way they drifted ecto 1 out of the firehouse each time was another point of contention. as for the story i agree with alot.of what people here have said about some of the pointless characters amongst which trevor should be included. and the fire master thing was way to cheesy and an easy solution to the crisis. I will say i liked the idea of it being Phoebe who ended up allowing Garaka to get out but not so sure about the set up of that part in terms of the "teen crush on a ghost" thing..... or at least thats how i received that part. and the ending as others have said was just too easy. i feel like there should have been a bigger battle where the team were defeated and they had to go away and really think outside the box. not just dip the bits in brass and boom all sorted..... like if you want to go throwing new GB props at people, instead of the drone trap and the arm mounted neutrona wand.... maybe like they did with the slime blowers, come up with something that combatted Garaka in a specific way like maybe nadeem wasnt a firemaster but his ancestors old uniform/armor was a host object for the spirit of one and weaponising that armor against Garaka. i dont know if there was an intended link between fire house and fire master but if there was it was tenuous at best and could have been so much better and paid tribute to the fireman of hook and ladder aswell. i was surprised to see james acaster in the movie too and im not sure on that casting choice........ overall a big sigh and a thumbs inclining towards downward trajectory.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back