Gold Leader Hero auction

I thought that there was never glass (clear plastic) in the studio models since it was a reflection problem when filming (affecting the blue screen process?).

TazMan2000
I think that those were added afterward;) I know that some people love to have real windows on their models, regardless if it's screen-used/SS scale accurate:unsure::eek:...coming from the guy who always wanted pilots/drivers into the cockpits of his models:lol::lol:

Yes and yes :)
Nothing that alters the bird though. It's pretty much how it looked in '76, with what I assume is some yellowing UV damage from being as old as it is.

Also it really didn't need any restoration. I think the stand is pretty much the only "work" done to it.

Just goes to show how off or different some ref pics can be

I am assuming the auction pics above are white balanced

There is a huge shift in tone from some of the older pics like this one.

The yellow and everything is so much on the "warmer" side compared to the "cool" tones of the auction image. Also those old images don't capture that additional weathering like the dark streak along the port side of the cockpit that was added sometime before filming (you can see that streak in the movie)

1715690697975.png

It had clear windows?

I also read that the ILM models didn't have any glass material for reflective reasons.

IIRC the two main Falcon models never had any glass.

It had clear windows?

I also read that the ILM models didn't have any glass material for reflective reasons.

IIRC the two main Falcon models never had any glass.

In sculpting a galaxy Lorne Peterson notes the following...

"For the X-Wing though, we wanted to have real glass in the windows. Windows are tricky, not only for bluescreen work, but also for casting convincing reflections on a small scale. Imagine a battleship on the horizon, and a reflective glint is seen from a chromed surface in the distance. To re-create that on even a twelve-foot model the band of light would be too wide. But Joe Johnston understood this dynamic and designed the X-Wing fighter to support reflective glass. The starfighter designs have faceted windows rather than curved shapes. Those facets could be filled with ultra-thin scientific slide glass, which reflects more realistically because the light is flashing off a flat surface and not spreading off a curve"

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back