Magic of Myth ( MoM ) Luke RotJ Hero ( cave build ) lightsaber research, images, reference, & collaborative model builder's discussion.

It should be no secret I believe the originals are the brass rails used in ISYHCANL that were sprayed with the V3 neck color (or similar) and subsequently touched with additional copper paint prior to most of our reference photos
IMG_4927.gif

I'm sure it's been brought up but could the buttons on the box be made of cast resin?

1000003918.png

1000003919.png

The theory about the buttons being made from the Yuma box is out there but I don't see any silver wear on the boxes. I do see however that cream colored mark which looks a lot like the color of casting resin.

It's a good question
I'm sure it's been brought up but could the buttons on the box be made of cast resin?

View attachment 1810046
View attachment 1810047

The theory about the buttons being made from the Yuma box is out there but I don't see any silver wear on the boxes. I do see however that cream colored mark which looks a lot like the color of casting resin.

The one detail I've noticed is that the buttons are very sharp at the edges. Way more than any audio equipment buttons, and they have come off/been re-attached or moved. A lot of shots they are a little crooked as well.

If they were resin, I would think we'd see more damage from whatever chipped the red arrow? I made mine out of the same material as the ROTJ blasters, black acetal, Delrin

So something is kinda throwing me off and I wanted to see what others thought…

I know most (including myself recently) believe the clamp card is more of a teal variant, as that is how it appears in the large majority or the photos. With that said, I noticed this while scrolling through my reference photos folder:

IMG_5427.jpeg

These two photos are obviously from the same exhibit on the same display stand (so aside from camera flash, should maintain “relatively” similar lighting conditions/temperatures), but one side appears teal and the other the more commonly found blue.

Could the difference in color be so simple as verdigris or something of the like? We can clearly see some sort of greenish patina in some of the archive/Smithsonian photos.

Anyways, just something to ponder. Curious to hear thoughts.

Last edited:
So something is kinda throwing me off and I wanted to see what others thought…

I know most (including myself recently) believe the clamp card is more of a teal variant, as that is how it appears in the large majority or the photos. With that said, I noticed this while scrolling through my reference photos folder:

View attachment 1815861

These two photos are obviously from the same exhibit on the same display stand (so aside from camera flash, should maintain “relatively” similar lighting conditions/temperatures), but one side appears teal and the other the more commonly found blue.

Could the difference in color be so simple as verdigris or something of the like? We can clearly see some sort of greenish patina in some of the archive/Smithsonian photos.

Anyways, just something to ponder. Curious to hear thoughts.
The clamp card I have has teal and blue edges.

I still can’t get over how little material is sitting on the box edges. Like we assume a drop damaged the box, but just a wrong move could crack of those rails lol

The original boards have a blue paper core (FR2) with a green coating… depending on where the card was cut the boards get bluer as you get further into the core. So- the outside has more green-teal.
I say this as I am observing my own cut board.

The reference shown shows two sides of the board depending on the display. One is very clearly well stripped copper with the green burnished through down to the bluer core- and the other side is only partially burnished through the TIN coating- which has left the white looking striations once considered to be glue. And yes… warm vs cool lighting- direct or indirect sidelight- flash or no flash plays a huge part in the coloration.

Worth noting in those photos- all you may have to do to get the same color is unify the warm - cool color cast in photo edit

The original boards have a blue paper core (FR2) with a green coating… depending on where the card was cut the boards get bluer as you get further into the core. So- the outside has more green-teal.
I say this as I am observing my own cut board.

The reference shown shows two sides of the board depending on the display. One is very clearly well stripped copper with the green burnished through down to the bluer core- and the other side is only partially burnished through the TIN coating- which has left the white looking striations once considered to be glue. And yes… warm vs cool lighting- direct or indirect sidelight- flash or no flash plays a huge part in the coloration.

Worth noting in those photos- all you may have to do to get the same color is unify the warm - cool color cast in photo edit
This description honestly really helps a ton. Thank you for giving such a detailed explanation of the construction and other aspects.

(Like so…)
Note I just adjusted the bottom image warmth into the cool range and adjusted the exposure slightly to mimic the top image
I had a feeling it was still lighting, but that alone didn’t explain just how drastic the difference was as other colors would’ve been impacted on a similar level. This certainly clears that up though, so thank you!

I remember contacting a maker of extension boards, maybe Vector, and they said the blue stuff is carcinogenic so they don't use that substrate anymore. I forgot until reading the descriptions Bryan put up just now!

Interesting question - do the gray rails hang over the inside edge of the thin box wall? I imagine you would be able to remove the 785 board if they didn’t

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back