Paragon FX Elite Blaster Cylinder Replacement

Taylor Jean

I recently got a Bulldog cylinder with the hopes of replacing the plastic one in my Paragon FX elite blaster. As I disassembled everything, I realized that there was going to be some machining involved that I don’t have the resources for. I was thinking of having the ejector rod cut down and threaded to match the one in the plastic cylinder. That way I could use the threaded end cap that’s holding the current one in place. I’d then also need to machine the crane in a couple places to work with everything else.

Does this seem like a feasible way to replace the cylinder? I read somewhere that the tooling of the Paragon FX and Tomenosuke blasters are the same, so I'm eager to know how others have done this modification.

20240413_172605.jpg

It’s a bit tight but can be done, this mod is a tomen.

Didn't try to hold any tolerances, it's tight enough. Bored the center hole, put the slots in, and knocked those two pins down. Used tape to get it enough where the cylinder doesn’t have any play and can rotate.
IMG_8087.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8088.jpeg
    IMG_8088.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8089.jpeg
    IMG_8089.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8090.jpeg
    IMG_8090.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Did you get a bulldog crane as well? or just the cylinder? I replaced my tomen with a real bulldog cylinder and crane assembly as one single piece. Just had to slightly offset the hole that it hinges on.

Did you get a bulldog crane as well? or just the cylinder? I replaced my tomen with a real bulldog cylinder and crane assembly as one single piece. Just had to slightly offset the hole that it hinges on.
Yes, I also have the crane. The hole you're referring to is right above the front trigger? Did you shortened the ejector rod in any particular way as well?

20240415_093855.jpg

Yes, I also have the crane. The hole you're referring to is right above the front trigger? Did you shortened the ejector rod in any particular way as well?

View attachment 1810234
Yes, the ejector rod on the real prop was just cut down so it would fit. And yes, that hole in the crane needs to be widened (to the left a bit, if I remember correctly) in order for the cylinder to hinge properly and lock into the frame.

If you remove the plastic cylinder and crane, and place the real one in, you can look down that hole and see that they don't line up perfectly.
So I had scottjua put it in a clamp and use a drill press and metal file to wall out that hole to one side until there was enough clearance for the hinge pin to go through.

Once the crane and cylinder seat down, we just drilled and tapped new holes onto the crane to hold the cover plate.

Yes, the ejector rod on the real prop was just cut down so it would fit. And yes, that hole in the crane needs to be widened (to the left a bit, if I remember correctly) in order for the cylinder to hinge properly and lock into the frame.

If you remove the plastic cylinder and crane, and place the real one in, you can look down that hole and see that they don't line up perfectly.
So I had scottjua put it in a clamp and use a drill press and metal file to wall out that hole to one side until there was enough clearance for the hinge pin to go through.

Once the crane and cylinder seat down, we just drilled and tapped new holes onto the crane to hold the cover plate.
Okay, that's great to know! I was overthinking it. I haven't taken my blaster apart that far to try it, but I'll give it a look.

And as a side question for anyone who's done blaster mods; I'm also looking for a replacement steel barrel, though it seems like the few makers of them have fallen out. If you have any suggestions I'd also appreciate it!

Last edited:
Okay, that's great to know! I was overthinking it. I haven't taken my blaster apart that far to try it, but I'll give it a look.

And as a side question for anyone who's done blaster mods; I'm also looking for a replacement steel barrel, though it seems like the few makers of them have fallen out. If you have any suggestions I'd also appreciate it!
Yep, message me if you have questions or want pictures.
Regarding steel barrels, I think Tedz may still have some from his run that are in stock, and you can find them on ebay occasionally.

1 On the Bulldog Cylinder - Cut the rod where it steps down.

2- On the Paragon crane arm. Shorten the length of the tubular part that goes into the cylinder to match the length of the charter crane arms one.

3 - drill out the diameter of hole of the Paragon tubular part to match the diameter of the Charter Cylinder rod.

All of this should take about 15 minutes and requires nothing more than a hacksaw and a drill with a vice.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back