RESEARCH: X-WING CONTROL STICK

The top part is a graflite or graflex 3-cell camera flash. Not the lightsaber one, the other one.

The ball shaped item is actually a Vickers Viscount reading lamp. Same as R2-D2’s holoprojectors.
Thanks very much. I always assumed the holoprojector was a punkah louvre. Very interesting!

Not sure how much interest there is, but I started to throw together a model to have this 3D printed:

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Last edited:
Please excuse my delay in getting back to you newmagrathea, it's been a busy few weeks which is rare for me lol!

I did have a huge (and on-going) search for you but no luck yet. I think I just got lucky with the grip/switch part. The greeblie is more than likely a 'use once only' type of part, as you can imagine, so the relatively few made are either still in aircraft or in spares stores sat on a pallet.... in a dusty hanger.... under crates marked 'danger! do not open! melty face, melty face!' (Hopefully there's not a member here called 'Meltyface', cos that would be a tad awkward, lol).

Great work on the 3D model starving4rtist, it looks like you've got all the details down. Just one thing, the pin in the trigger in the film prop is poked through the other way around - so the flat head is on the opposite side to the real part in my pics. But if you are printing the whole grip with a seperate trigger and pin then forget about this last sentance and here's your 15 seconds back [ 1 x 15 seconds ] :D Great stuff!

You could make the grip handle / tube hollow, that would resolve the column fixing problem.

Please excuse my delay in getting back to you newmagrathea, it's been a busy few weeks which is rare for me lol!

I did have a huge (and on-going) search for you but no luck yet. I think I just got lucky with the grip/switch part. The greeblie is more than likely a 'use once only' type of part, as you can imagine, so the relatively few made are either still in aircraft or in spares stores sat on a pallet.... in a dusty hanger.... under crates marked 'danger! do not open! melty face, melty face!' (Hopefully there's not a member here called 'Meltyface', cos that would be a tad awkward, lol).

Great work on the 3D model starving4rtist, it looks like you've got all the details down. Just one thing, the pin in the trigger in the film prop is poked through the other way around - so the flat head is on the opposite side to the real part in my pics. But if you are printing the whole grip with a seperate trigger and pin then forget about this last sentance and here's your 15 seconds back [ 1 x 15 seconds ] :D Great stuff!

You could make the grip handle / tube hollow, that would resolve the column fixing problem.

No worries, I've been pretty busy myself. I expected this would be a tough one to locate.

the pin in the trigger in the film prop is poked through the other way around - so the flat head is on the opposite side to the real part in my pics.
Good catch! I can swap that around if I make any updates to the model. In the meantime it's printed as a separate piece so it should be easy to fix during assembly.

Wow, looks dead on to me. I've got a friend who is into 3d printing, I'll see if he can print this for me.
Awesome - let me know how it goes. Most things are pretty easy to tweak if we need some last adjustments.

Wavey, I found this pic on an eBay auction if it helps narrow down the location on the seat search at all. It’s not the same exact one you found but very similar.

Attachments

• EA866C6A-6A2A-4252-905A-54F00040A0A6.jpeg
    EA866C6A-6A2A-4252-905A-54F00040A0A6.jpeg
    521.3 KB · Views: 208
  • A4DE73FA-EE70-417E-85E3-2E083C8E8F45.png
    A4DE73FA-EE70-417E-85E3-2E083C8E8F45.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Thanks for looking and posting xbadcardx, the more eyes on it, the more better. The part in the pic there is the 'drogue chute cannon' (called something like that). I'm not sure if that is where the greeblie part would be located - but it deff could be as I still haven't seen the real part in its proper place in a pit. The Jet Provost should have a similar looking part, but a much thinner box top section - and I still can't see the part in a Provost pit or on the seat itself. I may have to send MB an email lol!

Awaiting on a new candidate in the mail for these greeblies!
The PL259 connectors are the right size, but they didn't start using those on SW props until ESB.
There's another piece the same size, but smooth at the bottom (no threads like the PL259) that's used a lot in ANH. I'm not sure what it is. It seems like a turntable-type piece but I haven't found the real part yet.

There are two on the Interrogator droid. One just behind the needle, the other above.
I'm pretty sure those are the pieces on the X-wing control pad.
View attachment 1056849

Okay - these are not an exact match. I think they are a great stand-in as they are aluminum fittings that are very close... a few mm off on the lower flange, but that's about it.

These are aircraft hydraulic fittings, code: AN819-4D and I believe there are steel and anodized Al ones out there. The ones in Star Wars are obviously shiny, so bare aluminum it is for me.

Diameter of the thin section is exactly the same as my Motorola op amps
20220318_185241.jpg
20220318_185256.jpg
20220318_185313.jpg
l

Okay - these are not an exact match. I think they are a great stand-in as they are aluminum fittings that are very close... a few mm off on the lower flange, but that's about it.

These are aircraft hydraulic fittings, code: AN819-4D and I believe there are steel and anodized Al ones out there. The ones in Star Wars are obviously shiny, so bare aluminum it is for me.

Diameter of the thin section is exactly the same as my Motorola op ampsView attachment 1557436View attachment 1557437View attachment 1557438l

I like those, not sure they are the correct part. But I think they could be made to look correct by shaving down the bottom a bit. What size did you go with? 1/2 inch OD

Just found this thread and still reading through it , but I've already decided I want to build this one (well, at least the keyboard).

I have a couple of questions:

Looks like Ti-3500 (or Radio Shack EC-2000, Ti-3510) are the accurate models to get instead of Ti-3000 that is mentioned on the front page?

I also see that people are using rectangular light meter lenses, but to me it looks like they are rounded at the bottom?

1648103941387.png

Just found this thread and still reading through it , but I've already decided I want to build this one (well, at least the keyboard).

I have a couple of questions:

Looks like Ti-3500 (or Radio Shack EC-2000, Ti-3510) are the accurate models to get instead of Ti-3000 that is mentioned on the front page?

I also see that people are using rectangular light meter lenses, but to me it looks like they are rounded at the bottom?

View attachment 1559202
Yes to the light sensor. It's hard to tell but the whole top looks curved to me, I have yet to find a light sensor like this though

Yes to the light sensor. It's hard to tell but the whole top looks curved to me, I have yet to find a light sensor like this though
Yes, looks curved to me as well. It also looks thicker (relative to the buttons around it) than those taken from the light meters, although it could be because it's out of focus:

1648152711412.png
1648152816290.png

This one kind of looks curved too, but thickness seems to match the ones taken from a light meter:
1648152458085.png

I've just started looking for one, but so far it seems curved ones are not a common thing.

There's some chance it's was bent by the prop makers, maybe for use for some other prop initially, or that it is not from a light meter but from a light reflector. Like from a bicycle or bike or a car bumper - something like this:
1648153263710.png

For the calculator model - I was comparing the different models and the keyboard layout is the same, but button colors are different. Thanks to the sloppy paint job the original colors show on some places:
1648154812093.png

and it is a match to the Ti-3500 and the two other more rare models:
1648155772250.png

Not that it matters much as it is painter over, but since they can be found for about the same price on ebay I went ahead and ordered a 3500

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back