Sidkit Mal Gun Build Thread

Apologies for the photography. I waited until I could use as natural light as possible but my camera sucks and does what it wants to anyway. This is about the best I could muster and hope they are clear enough for you all to get the idea.

Here you go..........

View attachment 5548

View attachment 5549

View attachment 5550

View attachment 5551

View attachment 5552

I don't know whether Wackychimp hosted these or not as this was my first time but I will thank him anyway just in case. Thanks :love

As for doing any more, the plater said he enjoyed it and would do more. I have had a few people ask for details so after posting here I will pm you all details and maybe you should all get together.

He told me because the ageing and removing is done by hand, each will be a little different. I was more than happy with how mine came out.

Are you talking about the 4 on the top? Cause they are supposed to be dome heads.

Grub screws...that's a new one to me. I've only ever heard them referred to as set screws. Perhaps it's an UK thing.

Not according to Phillippes Mal Casting from a while ago - that has no dome head screws. Having looked at the vis comp just now that prop does have dome heads. However I prefer it with grub screws :) (so named cos they look like grubs)

SAS

Yeah, Phil's cast doesn't have dome head screws there, or any screws actually.

You crazy Brits and your crazy names for things. ;)

Yeah, Phil's cast doesn't have dome head screws there, or any screws actually.

You crazy Brits and your crazy names for things. ;)

The phillipes cast doesn't have the "buttonhead cap screws" (dome head screws?) but the prop definitely does.
There are indents where the screws go, so I intend to drill and tap mine.
I believe they are 2-56 UNC, but I haven't verified that yet.
I commented on some Sidkit thread somewhere about how poor "sockethead set screws" (grub screws?) are for clamping things together.
But that does seem to be the method used, in some places on the original prop, as well as the Sidkit.

I doubt the original prop used set screws to hold anything in place. I have looked around and found that 2-56 socket cap screws have the same head diameter as the set screws that Sidkit used (and what can be seen on the Phil cast). They'd give the same appearance once screwed in as a set screw but obviously hold things much diferently. I think the button head screws on the top were #4...could be wrong though.

I doubt the original prop used set screws to hold anything in place. I have looked around and found that 2-56 socket cap screws have the same head diameter as the set screws that Sidkit used (and what can be seen on the Phil cast). They'd give the same appearance once screwed in as a set screw but obviously hold things much diferently. I think the button head screws on the top were #4...could be wrong though.

So if I were to get some of these, I would be able to screw the thing together tighter, without making sure that the pieces were perfectly flush first? That was the problem with the set screws, for me - they don't pull the pieces toward each other.

So if I were to get some of these, I would be able to screw the thing together tighter, without making sure that the pieces were perfectly flush first? That was the problem with the set screws, for me - they don't pull the pieces toward each other.

It would if the holes drilled and tapped already weren't too large for the 2-56 socket cap screws.

Why would it be different? Was it cast off the original prop?

My understanding of the Phil cast is that it was taken from the original stunt pistol molds. They probably took out as many non-essential screws as possible to cast it so there would be less chance of silicone getting caught up on the screws during de-molding.

My understanding of the Phil cast is that it was taken from the original stunt pistol molds. They probably took out as many non-essential screws as possible to cast it so there would be less chance of silicone getting caught up on the screws during de-molding.

Was his from the original stunt molds or cast off the original stunt gun?

thanks

FB

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back