Space 1999 Helmet

I still need a couple of more coats on the Visor Frame.

Visor Frame.jpg

TazMan2000

Thanks Kevin. I tried it on and it seems to be the right size. I'm excited to get this thing sanded and painted. I still have to print the buck and need to find some transparent yellow vacuformable plastic. I could use clear PETG sheet, but I don't want to screw up painting the visor with transparent paint, since I have no experience with that. So if anyone has any suggestions...

TazMan2000
Just a couple of suggestions, I design and make helmet visors. If you build a plywood mold box with a fiberglass face of the free blow area in your design, you can free form with vacuum, if you set up a solenoid valve and foot pedal switch you can "bleed" the box to control the depth of the bubble. Using Rit dye in hot water really works ! I did this about 20 years ago for a graduated tint, works great, and is permanent.
Alternatively, you can find bubbles on Aliexpress...see pic. The trim for the old Bell helmets is available at Pegasusautoracing.com. part # 4336-201.This is a project I want to tackle some day, I already have the vintage bell helmet they started with.

Attachments

• 20240514_233530.jpg
    20240514_233530.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12
Just a couple of suggestions, I design and make helmet visors. If you build a plywood mold box with a fiberglass face of the free blow area in your design, you can free form with vacuum, if you set up a solenoid valve and foot pedal switch you can "bleed" the box to control the depth of the bubble. Using Rit dye in hot water really works ! I did this about 20 years ago for a graduated tint, works great, and is permanent.
Alternatively, you can find bubbles on Aliexpress...see pic. The trim for the old Bell helmets is available at Pegasusautoracing.com. part # 4336-201.This is a project I want to tackle some day, I already have the vintage bell helmet they started with.

Thanks for the suggestions. Can you post a Youtube link to a video that I can see how the helmet visors are made? One of the problems of creating a design of a 3D replica of the helmet, is that I don't have the original to verify. I just had some rough measurements, so the real bubble visor probably wouldn't fit properly in my re-creation. The original trim most likely won't fit on my model, as my shell is considerably thicker, so I'll have to use something that will accommodate that. I do plan on using Rit dye as well. I will follow the instructions in the video that BonesAreDollars posted. I'm going to do this outside as I'm sure that I would ruin something in the kitchen due to clumsiness.

TazMan2000

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back