Spaceship from Concept Art -WIP Scratch Build- UFP RV Montgomery Scott

All 8 panels were glued in place onto the stern bulkheads.. the entire unit is approx. 6 5/8" (170mm) long and 4" (100mm) high and 4" (100mm) wide.

31 glue up back.jpg

A primer coat of white was sprayed on the engines before attaching. I used .010" (.25mm) styrene sheet as a diffuser to fit against the blue LED, to cover the thrust chamber of the engines.

32 Engine throat.jpg

Engines now permanently mounted, and will allow 24 hours in this position for the adhesive to cure.

33 Engines in place.jpg

33B Engines in place.jpg

Now I could test fire the engine lighting.

34 Engines lit.jpg

Finally the 2835 high density LED strips arrived. I can now return to working on the bow.

35 LED 2835  strip.jpg

This is the area I'm preparing lighting for.......

cropped ship with yellow highlight.jpg

I built two "light boxes" of .06" (1.5mm) chipboard to hold the LED strips in place. Each contains 24 LEDS.

36 LED strip long.jpg

In place for a test fit. Nothing glued.

37 Long LED in place.jpg

More lighting to go....till next time...

All 8 panels were glued in place onto the stern bulkheads.. the entire unit is approx. 6 5/8" (170mm) long and 4" (100mm) high and 4" (100mm) wide.

View attachment 1818189

A primer coat of white was sprayed on the engines before attaching. I used .010" (.25mm) styrene sheet as a diffuser to fit against the blue LED, to cover the thrust chamber of the engines.

View attachment 1818190

Engines now permanently mounted, and will allow 24 hours in this position for the adhesive to cure.

View attachment 1818191

View attachment 1818192

Now I could test fire the engine lighting.

View attachment 1818193

Finally the 2835 high density LED strips arrived. I can now return to working on the bow.

View attachment 1818194

This is the area I'm preparing lighting for.......

View attachment 1818197

I built two "light boxes" of .06" (1.5mm) chipboard to hold the LED strips in place. Each contains 24 LEDS.

View attachment 1818195

In place for a test fit. Nothing glued.

View attachment 1818196

More lighting to go....till next time...
Beautiful work!!

More lighting for the bow...I built two light boxes for the 5 short horizontal window groups. I cut apart the 12 volt LED tape
to make 4 LED strips ...3 LED's each. Wired in parallel. Mounted on thin plywood.

38 LED 4 strip boxes.jpg

Then, .06" (1.5mm) chipboard built around.

39 LED 4 strip boxes complete.jpg

Test fire.

40 LED 4 strip lit.jpg

I installed small shelves in the bulkhead carcass to temporarily support both light boxes, which will hold them steady
when they are finally glued in place.

41 Interior with boxes in place.jpg

With lighting for the bow nearly complete, I could begin building and detailing the upper and middle sections...
I started on the simpler sections, using the concept art as a guide for construction of shapes, and a lot of imagination.
Everything was built twice, to mirror most of the elements for the other side.

42 Begin bow detail.jpg

This "heat sink" thing will be at the tail end....

43 Bow detail 2.jpg

These units will connect to the heat sink with the loose pipe....

44 Bow detail 3.jpg

Units cemented in place.

45 Bow detail 4.jpg

Till next time...

Carlb I'm drooling over your work. Sorry, here let me just wipe that offa there...
Please quit your job and ignore your family and friends completely until this is finished. :D

Kidding aside this is my kinda modelling. Seat-of-your-pants scratch-building. The fact that you only have a single, three-quarter view image to work from, makes your efforts that much more impressive. Re-creating that complicated structure and deep detail in three dimensions is a LOT of work and you're killing it. Nice.

Joberg- Thank you.
Detailing has been relatively simple so far, intricate and more complex greeblies are in process now.
I think I'll have a few "equipment pits" in the next update too...

whiskeyrat- Thank you for your very kind words.
I retired a while back, so a job isn't in the way, but my partner does shout occasionally that I need to "give it a rest".;)
Friends? What are those? :lol:

Indeed, having only one angle of the concept art has me cursing, frustrated & puzzled for ideas quite often.
Also, I am not a former military or transportation modeler like many here, so I don't have extra bits from old kits to use.

Prior to my recent entry into spaceships, I spent many years building architectural models (as a hobby).

But I just press on...glad to hear your enjoying it, and I appreciate your following the thread.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back