The new SUPERMAN costume... thoughts?

I now will need to remove pretty much all muscle shading, and design with generaal area shading.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-07 225240.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-07 225240.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2024-05-07 225233.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-07 225233.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2024-03-17 210547.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-17 210547.png
    688.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot 2024-03-17 210534.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-17 210534.png
    485.6 KB · Views: 21
As a big fan of the Reeve films I’ve had a hard time with the more recent costumes. I really didn’t care for the Man of Steel costume. But I do like this latest version. I’m cautiously optimistic about this film.

Good casting. This guy can act and the few things I've seen him in, he was mighty impressive and it helps that he looks the part of Superman. Hideous costume though. Overly designed, overly textured, segmented with unnecessary ribbing and the sharp angled lines might be straight from one iteration of the character in the comics, but contrast too aggressively with Superman's super physique which is natural, organic, muscle. These actors nearly kill themselves at the gym to bulk up for a role, only to be covered head to toe in busy detailed fabrics which masks all that work. Superman especially should look like an Adonis in the suit. He's essentially a god.

Then again most modern superhero costumes have become so similar in their design elements they are rarely distinguishable between characters, much less between DC, Marvel, or the like. Unless you look close, too often these suits become distractions and not icons. At least to me. Given the shared color pallettes between so many of them, the designers/ studios make the mistake of the costumes looking too similar. I get the logic behind the choices for certain materials, when you consider Superman is an alien, so the materials should look foreign, but it's really funny to me that all of these heroes have the same tailors when they all wear heavy textured 4 way stretch fabric with tiny logos screen printed on the surface of them.

I miss the simplicity of earlier costume designs where they let the chosen materials breathe and not every single inch of the outfits were covered in overwhelming detail. It's much like the American palette for food. Overly complicated, when fewer, flavorful ingredients are enough to make for a good dish rather than jam every conceivable flavor/ texture into every meal. The demand for excess in detail is actually boring now. It might have been groundbreaking in 2002's Raimi Spiderman, but it's been done to death.

What would look really cool, especially for Superman, would be to see a suit that is sewn in a way that segments the fabrics to compliment the natural striations of muscle, much the way drawings of muscle tissue appear in an anatomy book. These characters are drawn this way in the comics, and it would actually flatter the actors better by enhancing their natural builds. You ever notice how superheros every single muscle is present on the surface of these suits? This technique would emulate that look and if cut right, would be tailored to the actor's body in such a way that they might not need to wear padded muscle suits under the main costume.

It's well known that superhero costumes these days flatten the muscles due to their tight fit, so that even the most jacked person will still look not as massive when wearing the costume, requiring a muscle suit to be worn which will pad out certain details. This striation technique might eliminate the need for one if done correctly.

I'll have to try it when I finally get to designing my versions of these types of costumes for my collection.

Good casting. This guy can act and the few things I've seen him in, he was mighty impressive and it helps that he looks the part of Superman. Hideous costume though. Overly designed, overly textured, segmented with unnecessary ribbing and the sharp angled lines might be straight from one iteration of the character in the comics, but contrast too aggressively with Superman's super physique which is natural, organic, muscle. These actors nearly kill themselves at the gym to bulk up for a role, only to be covered head to toe in busy detailed fabrics which masks all that work. Superman especially should look like an Adonis in the suit. He's essentially a god.

Then again most modern superhero costumes have become so similar in their design elements they are rarely distinguishable between characters, much less between DC, Marvel, or the like. Unless you look close, too often these suits become distractions and not icons. At least to me. Given the shared color pallettes between so many of them, the designers/ studios make the mistake of the costumes looking too similar. I get the logic behind the choices for certain materials, when you consider Superman is an alien, so the materials should look foreign, but it's really funny to me that all of these heroes have the same tailors when they all wear heavy textured 4 way stretch fabric with tiny logos screen printed on the surface of them.

I miss the simplicity of earlier costume designs where they let the chosen materials breathe and not every single inch of the outfits were covered in overwhelming detail. It's much like the American palette for food. Overly complicated, when fewer, flavorful ingredients are enough to make for a good dish rather than jam every conceivable flavor/ texture into every meal. The demand for excess in detail is actually boring now. It might have been groundbreaking in 2002's Raimi Spiderman, but it's been done to death.
Yeah, they get too attached to making everything look like body armor or something akin to an alien symbiote that's bonded to the actor/ actress. But in Superman's case: he doesn't need any of that.

Also: in some of the early origin stories in the comics, Martha Kent unraveled his baby blanket and wove the thread into what would become his outfit.

My opinion: let the suit be simpler, and let the script tell the story.

Yeah, they get too attached to making everything look like body armor or something akin to an alien symbiote that's bonded to the actor/ actress. But in Superman's case: he doesn't need any of that.

Also: in some of the early origin stories in the comics, Martha Kent unraveled his baby blanket and wove the thread into what would become his outfit.

My opinion: let the suit be simpler, and let the script tell the story.

Agreed. I'm not against the suits having a distinct style for each iteration on film, but I think they need to go back to cleaner lines, less detail, and more uniform color without all this muting. Even after 40 plus years, the Reeves suit is timeless in it's simplicity. The impact of it was Reeve's dedication to bulking up that made the suit look as good as it did. Not the other way around.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back