The Phantom Menace Re-Release May 2024

Just because it can corrupt anyone does not mean it will; the thing is that anyone who is not careful and allows themselves to dabble with evil or does not take it seriously (scoffing at warnings, ignoring clear signals, etc.) can find themselves falling into what they thought they were "too good for".

But some do heed the warnings and take it seriously. Luke is an example in this case: he was headstrong and a bit cocky like his father, but unlike him, he took the danger seriously enough in time to escape it (albeit not without cost). He realized the path he was about to take and rather than follow his father, let himself fall to what he thought would be his death. It did turn out that he would live, but he decided that Vader's way was not compelling enough to follow.

You don't need to know someone's past to know their character; you simply need to watch what they do over time, and see who they are as they make choices and treat others. We do this everyday with people we meet, become friends will, even fall in love with. Eventually we may find out about their lives, but we don't need an entire biography to see their character

Lastly: our character defines how we will react in any given situation, Dark Side or "disaster movie". And events like disasters leave their marks on people in very tangible ways, both physical as well as emotional. We can end up changing and even becoming a different person due to events, seeing things through "a different lens" than we used when we started. I prefer to see Anakin in that light; a good Jedi who ventured a little too close to the Dark Side, events went sideways and he was seduced slowly, whittling away at his defenses and lulling him into a false sense of "being in control", until it overtook him and snuffed out the rich, vibrant man he once was.

THAT is more of a tragedy in my book; the trainwreck that others around him would have watched slowly happening, yet did not/ could not stop.

Scriptwriting 101 teaches "Show, don't tell." It's true for pretty much anything related to character. Things can be told in dozens of different ways (even just an opening text crawl) but showing it is still the most emotionally impacting way.

If you wanna argue that Anakin's path to the dark side should have been something different than Lucas went with, okay. That's a valid opinion.

But any path works better if the audience can SEE his behavior patterns that lead up to it. If Anakin wasn't taking the threat of the Dark Side seriously enough, then the movie needs to make it clear that he had a history of being cavalier about threats and getting away with it. In other words it needs to show how his past history led up to his current weakness.

As for the path/reason - what is a valid reason for somebody to become Adolf H. or Stalin? That's about how evil Darth Vader was in the OT.

I don't think "Anakin failed to appreciate the threat of the Dark Side" comes near to explaining that level of evil turn. It takes something emotionally MASSIVE to do that. On a scale of 1-to-10 that takes a 10. If he was turned by anything less, then either he wasn't really such a good guy beforehand, and/or the Dark Side is so powerful that he had little free will in the matter.

Still have this magnet in my truck. I think I got it from “Star Wars Insider” magazine.

IMG_0737.jpeg

I remember all the toy stores and Walmarts looking like this..
So do i... I was there...literally every day...lol, and it didn't help that we had a movie theater joined to our Wal-Mart building. The anticipation was enormous!!! I had just become a father too, which was crazy timing since I was born when filming began for the original Star Wars. It was exciting times.

Scriptwriting 101 teaches "Show, don't tell." It's true for pretty much anything related to character. Things can be told in dozens of different ways (even just an opening text crawl) but showing it is still the most emotionally impacting way.

If you wanna argue that Anakin's path to the dark side should have been something different than Lucas went with, okay. That's a valid opinion.

But any path works better if the audience can SEE his behavior patterns that lead up to it. If Anakin wasn't taking the threat of the Dark Side seriously enough, then the movie needs to make it clear that he had a history of being cavalier about threats and getting away with it. In other words it needs to show how his past history led up to his current weakness.

As for the path/reason - what is a valid reason for somebody to become Adolf H. or Stalin? That's about how evil Darth Vader was in the OT.

I don't think "Anakin failed to appreciate the threat of the Dark Side" comes near to explaining that level of evil turn. It takes something emotionally MASSIVE to do that. On a scale of 1-to-10 that takes a 10. If he was turned by anything less, then either he wasn't really such a good guy beforehand, and/or the Dark Side is so powerful that he had little free will in the matter.

It was simply poorly handled for the reasons you said in the first half of the post. As for taking the threat seriously or not, it simply wasn't addressed, but the epic failure is that no one is going to kill off a K-12 school including teachers, staff, and the school administrators, plus more, to save their wives. You may want to, but you're not going to do it. Made worse by the fact that as we were told, it was only a 'possible' version of the future.

The reason and execution were simply not done well at all. And i have no doubt it suffered from having to be illustrated from the midpoint of e2 to the midpoint of e3. I don't think anything was done in E1 that was necessary to what had to occur to get to E4. And i think E1 is the best of the PT. But, they wasted 2.5 hours of exposition there that had little or nothing to do with 2 and 3.

Ep1 gets a lot of hate for all the major cgi, but there was still many practical effects, and major sets built for this movie
There was cig in there that most people don't even know was CGI. But, that's what GL always did - push the envelope of the technology.

The naboo waterfall is still the biggest mind-@$%( to me from the effects.....dishwashing glove and salt!

I appreciate the movie for what it offers. That being, an awesome pod-race scene, an amazing battle intro to Darth Maul on Tatooine, one of the best lightsaber duels in the whole franchise at the end, and maybe the best piece from a Star Wars score in Duel of Fates.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back