The Phantom Menace Re-Release May 2024

Jodo

Master Member
Although technically the third time it will have been in theaters, TPM is scheduled to show back up very soon in May 2024. Does anyone plan to see it again?

My wife and I bought tickets, though we are only going because I want to. There’s something about the 1999 movie that I still really enjoy, and as I’ve gotten older, it has even become nostalgic for me. I was only 10 when it came out, and the massive amount of merchandise really took hold of me. It also reminds me of my grandparents raising me and really indulging my nerdom. Those memories and feelings definitely take precedence over the quality of the film itself.

I'll probably go watch it, as the theatrical experience is always fun, and the movie sounds great in a theater...assuming they have a decent sound system anyways.
The pod race alone just for the sound is great.
I'd also worked at the theater just over a year at that point, and we were all really hyped to see it and work there at the time.
We even had to pay for the month or so back then. I still saw it 4 times in the theater.

Hmmmmm…I’ve spent over 20 years trying to forget the experience of seeing TPM in a theater, after attending the sopping-wet Star Wars Celebration One in Denver (I should have taken it as a sign of the movie to come).

GIF by Star Wars

Last edited:
Love the film, do not love the current master of the film (they scrubbed out all of the grain in the 4K remaster for George's final pass) but I'm still looking forward to seeing it with a crowd.

I remember when I skipped school to see this.. saw it twice in a row first showing of the day…

I was in a home school group 6-8th grade, it was my first year back in public school, and all the home school kids met me there..

It wasn’t just a movie but a great time with friends I haven’t seen in awhile

Organized this “great escape” via aol instant messenger lol

I kind of wish it was on he 19th instead, the actual anniversary and historical Star Wars Day. But yes Im going.

I wish i could see it at the same theater I did in 1999 when i was 14, but they tore it down a couple months ago.

IMG_4697.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

I remember when I skipped school to see this.. saw it twice in a row first showing of the day…

I was in a home school group 6-8th grade, it was my first year back in public school, and all the home school kids met me there..

It wasn’t just a movie but a great time with friends I haven’t seen in awhile

Organized this “great escape” via aol instant messenger lol
I didn't get to skip school, but the second school was over, my friend and I went to watch it....and then again after that as well.
Yeah, not the greatest film ever by any means, the hype of it, or more, the "over hype" of it killed it for many people. Plenty little stupid things George thought would be funny, that just weren't.
But just the experience of it all, with friends, and at the time, a NEW STAR WARS film.
Despite George not being the best director/dialog writer, at least he had a goal of what he wanted and was aiming for, even when it was different than what the fans were expecting......Disney can't even seem to get a solid goal in mind, well, other than, Star Wars = money.....

I didn't get to skip school, but the second school was over, my friend and I went to watch it....and then again after that as well.
Yeah, not the greatest film ever by any means, the hype of it, or more, the "over hype" of it killed it for many people. Plenty little stupid things George thought would be funny, that just weren't.
But just the experience of it all, with friends, and at the time, a NEW STAR WARS film.
Despite George not being the best director/dialog writer, at least he had a goal of what he wanted and was aiming for, even when it was different than what the fans were expecting......Disney can't even seem to get a solid goal in mind, well, other than, Star Wars = money.....
I loved it as a kid, and even after all these years it’s still my favorite prequel

In any other universe, I’d have gone to see ESB in 2020, ROTJ in 2023, and TPM in a few days. Maybe even the marathon of all six films.

Instead, we live in the darkest timeline, where The Mouse gets absolutely no money from me, and theaters project the 4K masters (which are dark, drab, and lifeless), rather than properly-restored versions with vibrant colors, minimal DNR, and actual film grain.

Sigh.

TPM did have the best teaser trailer; I do remember that.

Where I grew up we had a local cable news channel and they ran the trailer every hour at the top of the hour for 24 hours the day it premiered. My brother and I stayed up until like 1 am to catch it as many times as possible.

The hype really was unreal. Good memories, actually.

Can't believe they spoiled the second lightsaber blade.

This cultural horror of "spoilers" is a relatively recent development. (Probably spurred on by the Internet.) Back then, nobody that I knew gave one whit about what was or wasn't revealed in trailers. We just wanted to see cool ****. People understood that it was designed to get you excited -- and it did.

The closest thing I recall anyone being mad about was one of the soundtrack titles revealing that Qui-Gon would die; that did make some people upset.

Hard pass for me.

There are elements of TPM I appreciate, and aspects I respect, but it's not an enjoyable film experience for me.

I’ve spent a lot of time recently studying vintage news reports from the lead-up to TPM’s release. The most hyped and anticipated film in history, full-stop. Absolutely nothing would have met those expectations. It was totally insane. Wild.

I also recently rewatched all six films. There’s nothing wrong with TPM. It’s a very good and incredibly well-made film. While it does has its flaws, the story is very clever, and the groundwork is carefully laid for the overall arc of the trilogy (and the series) as a whole. The “skip TPM, especially in Machete Order” people are wrong. There were things I liked and things I didn’t like, back on opening day, but the film has grown more and more on me, over the years. I see what Lucas was doing, in terms of story, characters, and themes, and I appreciate it.

This film has been unjustly reviled for many years, mainly because of expectations. People had 16 years to imagine what this film would be, and the vast majority of “criticisms” boil down to, “it wasn’t what I expected”, or “X should have been Y”.

It always comes down to “should have been”.

I once got into a debate with someone who was dead-set on hating both the film and Lucas. For example, he claimed that the goofy battle droids were just “Lucas throwing crap at the wall”. I countered that they were a plot point: the droids are goody and ineffective, which is why Palpatine has to go with Plan B by creating the clone army. This guy wouldn’t hear any of it. As far as he was concerned, it was just dumb, and Lucas had no story and no good ideas. Period.

The people who enshrined the RedLetterMedia reviews as shining examples of film criticism should be ashamed of themselves, frankly. Those hitpiece “reviews” unfortunately turned the tide against the films, and are a perfect expression of middle-aged fans taking out their aggression just because a film was not what they had EXPECTED since childhood. Instead of turning their thinking caps around and trying to take in the story and the ideas as presented with an open mind, they threw a hissy-fit because they didn’t get bounty hunters and Darth Vader killing people.

On the flipside, I recently made the decision to revisit the dreaded Disney films. Years have passed, and my wounds have healed, which puts me in a position to objectively analyze the absolute trainwreck of it. They’re all terrible to varying degrees, but THE LAST JEDI is legitimately one of the worst films I’ve ever seen. Maybe even one of the worst films ever made. Nothing makes sense. Nothing matters. Overlong, pretentious, tone-deaf insanity with zero regard for what had come before or for the Big Picture of the entire series. All style and no substance, made by a childlike narcissist indie-film weirdo.

I find myself feeling renewed contempt for the shills and weirdos who have defended it as some kind of subversive, artistic masterpiece for the past six years. They picked the wrong hill to die on. Geez. The emperor truly has no clothes.

Not one of the Disney movies has even a fraction of the intelligence, sociological relevance, or boundless imagination of THE PHANTOM MENACE. People accused the film (and the prequels in general) of killing the STAR WARS franchise, and then Disney came along and asked them to hold their beer. This is validation of the once in a lifetime genius of George Lucas, because the abject failure of Disney has drawn a dividing line between Lucas Era and Disney Era.

I’ll take Lucas’ flawed surface and solid core over Disney’s flashy surface and hollow core any day.

So, yeah, I’d love to see TPM in the theater, but The Mouse gets no money from me.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back