The Shadow WIP

real9thdoctor

Hi all! Just joined. I dunno if anyone is interested, but I am working on a cosplay of The Shadow. Me and my GF just got the scarf squared away by sewing and gluing it to a gaiter so it'll stay in place.
20240420_101619.jpg
20240420_101639.jpg
20240420_101658.jpg
20240420_104653.jpg

I still need gloves, the ring, the slouch hat which arrives Monday, the prop guns and holster harness and prosthetic nose.

Btw, anyone know if rubber prop guns can be painted? The guns I am eyeing are black rubber with red tips, and I wanna paint them silver(leaving enough of the red so its obviously not real).

Anyhow, thanks and hope you guys like!

Btw, anyone know if rubber prop guns can be painted? The guns I am eyeing are black rubber with red tips, and I wanna paint them silver(leaving enough of the red so its obviously not real).

I have had good luck with spraying Plastidip on solid rubber items. I think the way the Plastidip binds to itself as it surrounds your prop helps keep it intact. But you might want to cover the whole thing, including the tip, and repaint the tip red or orange later.

Rustoleum Painter's Touch 2X paint/primer sticks to Plastidip really well, and it comes in many colors. You could prime it in any color you want, then follow up with your silver, clearcoat, and weathering.

Hope that helps!

Looking REALLY REALLY good, by the way. I recognized him instantly!

I have had good luck with spraying Plastidip on solid rubber items. I think the way the Plastidip binds to itself as it surrounds your prop helps keep it intact. But you might want to cover the whole thing, including the tip, and repaint the tip red or orange later.

Rustoleum Painter's Touch 2X paint/primer sticks to Plastidip really well, and it comes in many colors. You could prime it in any color you want, then follow up with your silver, clearcoat, and weathering.

Hope that helps!
Gotcha! I'm a model builder and have tons of the primer. I will need to get the plastidip.

Thanks much for the info!

Gloves and holster harness arrive tomorrow, and I found foam dart guns that are replica M1911 pistols like what The Shadow uses in the pulps. They arrive Sunday, and I can just paint em silver.

Will wait till August for the supplies for the nose piece.

Btw, fixed the harness issue. My girlfriend suggested trying having the shoulder straps under the straps on the coat. Between that and some more readjustment, we got it to fit much better and the holsters now sit where they should. So we glued the harness strap ends and she fabric glued the coat straps down to trap the harness. It feels way better and more comfortable now.

Had to order chrome paint for the guns. Though I had some in stock in my shop from a recent model build but I apparently used it all. Oh well. Paint is comin Monday.

So got the guns. They were a bit more realistic looking than I expected, especially the foam bullets. I decided to plug the barrels with hot glue and slathered tons of orange paint on them. Ruined the barrels, and looks like crap, but would rather that than some idiot think I had real guns and give me problems.
20240428_184016.jpg
20240428_184033.jpg
20240428_184056.jpg
20240428_195043.jpg

And found this cape on Amazon.
images (2).jpeg

The cape I have now, while I like it, is thinner than I prefer, and I hate the tie. It is velcro and I added strings so its more comfortable. However, this cape is just like his cape in the pulps.
Shadow_Death_From_Nowhere.jpg

Any opinions? I am heavily leaning towards this new cape.

Final prop guns. Decided not to paint them silver as in the pulps they are black. I did paint the grips to look like wood(not that it really worked lol).

Still worried they look too real, but I really don't wanna add more bright colors to these, cos they already are ruined what with filling the barrels.
20240429_090544.jpg
20240429_094430.jpg

Since Idecided to take off work today, I decided to play around a bit more with the costume. I glued the scarf in a spot that tightens the whole thing up to help keep it on. It is a pain to get on and off now, but stays in place even better. I will need to find the right spot to have it at when I pull it on so you can't tell its glued though.

I also added small pieces of plastic painted flat black to the coat collar. I really wanted the collar bolt upright like the pulps and certain shots in the movies. They don't eleminate the collar flopping over completely, but enough that I can live with it.

And finally, I decided that I will wear BOTH capes. I love the 2nd one for the red lining, but the original one is really wide and slightly longer, so the best solution seems to be wearing both. I may ask my GF if she could even sew the collars of them together.

Since Idecided to take off work today, I decided to play around a bit more with the costume. I glued the scarf in a spot that tightens the whole thing up to help keep it on. It is a pain to get on and off now, but stays in place even better. I will need to find the right spot to have it at when I pull it on so you can't tell its glued though.

I also added small pieces of plastic painted flat black to the coat collar. I really wanted the collar bolt upright like the pulps and certain shots in the movies. They don't eleminate the collar flopping over completely, but enough that I can live with it.

And finally, I decided that I will wear BOTH capes. I love the 2nd one for the red lining, but the original one is really wide and slightly longer, so the best solution seems to be wearing both. I may ask my GF if she could even sew the collars of them together.
Just read through this: you could give Alec Baldwin a run for his money!! :D Seriously though, your outfit definitely evokes the pulps!

As for using both capes: I think that would work. I would definitely ask your GF about sewing the collars together, as that would unify them and keep them from moving individually when wearing them.

Concerning the ends on your guns: If you're unhappy with how the glue ended up, a craft knife can pare down the glue. Rubbing alcohol also removes it without a mark if you want to redo the ends.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back