The Wrath Of Khan Communicator Found part?

Megamicrofish

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I couldnt find anything online regarding this, Its probably a well known fact but I didnt know.
GUSvhSw.jpg

I had heard it was an off the shelf walkie talkie at first, but the cast pointed out that it was obviously a current day object. At that point they slapped something together. That's why (please forgive me) the communicators in Wrath Of Khan are so lame. Absolutely the best Star Trek movie of all time, but the communicator and tricorder were pretty sad.

I had heard it was an off the shelf walkie talkie at first, but the cast pointed out that it was obviously a current day object. At that point they slapped something together. That's why (please forgive me) the communicators in Wrath Of Khan are so lame. Absolutely the best Star Trek movie of all time, but the communicator and tricorder were pretty sad.

I justify it by saying the Cadets were deliberately training on older more basic tech, hence the "running out the guns" torpedoes. I place the TWOK communicators before "The Cage" in the timeline.

It was a rental from Modern Props, which had made it as part of their catalog and not specifically for Trek. Just Trek-inspired. And then STII comes along with a tiny budget and things go full circle.

I bought 2 at a gun show several years ago because iut reminded me of the vents on the Aliens Pulse Rifle. Thought it would be a cool additions to my Aliens collection. I later on noticed that the communicator was obviously used. --Ed

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan Prop Trivia:
Unused Prototype Phaser:
The producers of the second Trek film initially asked John Zabrucky of Modern Props, Inc. to design new phaser and communicator props, but ultimately decided to reuse and refit the existing phasers from the first Trek film. Good move, since this new phaser provided by Modern Props was as poorly designed as their ugly comm. Since this phaser was a non-screen used prototype (and ugly), it was sold by Heritage Auctions on June 29, 2016 for a relatively low $2,480.
Hero Communicator:
The film producers intended to make all new phaser and communicator props for the second film, but only the new communicator props made it to the screen. To portray a military look, the handheld comm was modeled after a Vietnam war-era field radio (???). The inner lid is printed with “MP” (for Modern Props) and numbers “1130” (MP’s street address). Although boxy and ugly, an unused prototype comm sold at Heritage Auctions on June 29, 2016 for $2,400. A screen-used hero (light-up) prop sold for $17,400.

The producers of the second Trek film initially asked John Zabrucky of Modern Props, Inc. to design new phaser and communicator props, but ultimately decided to reuse and refit the existing phasers from the first Trek film.

phaser.jpg

Had to look it up, since I hadn't seen it before. I guess the Phaser 1 section was supposed to light up like the butt of the communicators.

I'd seen that phaser before, but I didn't know it was a prototype. I thought it was from a Star Trek rip off in the 80's. Wow, what a horrible piece of cr@p... Glad they redressed the phaser from the first movie. Honestly Wrath Of Khan is my favorite movie, but Search For Spock has the best updated props...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back