this story is based on true events...

This reminds me of the Twitter trend recently of people who didn't know Titanic was real because it was a film.

Of course, I think this was more of a case of "Let's mess with the media" because I can't fathom anybody not knowing that there was an actual ship called Titanic.

well, i just saw a movie, that said in the beginning: this movie is based on true events...can you simply slap that on a movie even if its utter bull?
In a word, yes. The Coen brothers' movie Fargo had a title card that said "Based on a true story"; it wasn't.

I never realised there were any grown people who still thought true life movies were true to life.
You'd be surprised at how much nonsense the American public will believe. :lol

My favorite is actually when its based on another movie..

But it'll just say "Based on xxx".. and it turns out being scene for scene...

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

This reminds me of the Twitter trend recently of people who didn't know Titanic was real because it was a film.

Of course, I think this was more of a case of "Let's mess with the media" because I can't fathom anybody not knowing that there was an actual ship called Titanic.
I can. I've known people who didn't remember extremely popular television shows from 20 years ago, let alone a historical event that occurred 100 years ago.

Considering the media blitz that accompanied the 100th anniversary of Titanic's sinking, these days most people are more aware of it; this wasn't the case when the movie was released in 1997. Especially here in America, where it seems most people don't care about anything that doesn't directly affect their daily lives or somehow fall within their narrow spectrum of interests.

I got **** from saying the ship sank when coming out of the theatre. Seriously. Some people. :behave

Even in "reality TV," there isn't much reality.

That goes for the "News" as well.
"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you do read the newspaper, you're misinformed."
Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

There aren't too many people who get their daily "news" from reading a newspaper these days, but if you update the quote to include any and all modern news media it still holds true.

My favorite is "Perfect Storm"

If they lost radio contact with them right after they left, everything after that would be speculation.

What they do know?
A boat left port
There was a storm
It never came back

Lets make a movie!

Might as well of had them fighting pirates on a ghost ship.
I know it's bordering on blasmphemy to suggest this, but "Flight 93" is about the same thing. The plane was hijacked, they have some cell calls on what the people on the plane were thinking of doing, and the black box recordings. Really, there's nothing else to tell you what really went down in that plane, yet they made a movie about that as well.

Its like the strangers, it said based on true events, but in audio commentary the true event that inspired it was someone knocking on the directors house in the middle of the night and no one was there. WOW. So saying that, does it mean if you are doing something, lets say; pooping, and you imagine a story about outer space pirate fighting boats, could you the story as inspired by real life events?

Fargo was another one of those films with a dialog at the beginning saying it was a true story portrayed just as it happened, except the names were changed. But of course it turned out to be mostly fiction and very loosely based on other true incidences kinda like Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Either way Fargo's still a great film fictional or not. :thumbsup

-Carson

How to make a movie "based on a true story/book/short story": Summarize the original story in a couple of sentences, maybe a paragraph at the most, and then start filling in the details with whatever sounds good.

Its like the strangers, it said based on true events, but in audio commentary the true event that inspired it was someone knocking on the directors house in the middle of the night and no one was there. WOW. So saying that, does it mean if you are doing something, lets say; pooping, and you imagine a story about outer space pirate fighting boats, could you the story as inspired by real life events?

That's my take on it. Any story / movie is based in the reality that it was thought up in someones head. Right? The "true" event is that someone thought of it. I've never seen some thing that say based on true event, and those events are this ____. The Night of the Living dead thing is based on the true events of the writer putting thoughts on paper. That really happened! :facepalm

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back