VCX-100 - The Ghost

Making vac canopy parts is relatively low tech and if there are bucks ready-made, pretty easy to do. I did my first vacforming using a cardboard box for the 'table', a shop-vac for the suction, some MDF for the plastic holding frames and the kitchen oven for heating... with a couple of bricks to prop the MDF frames on while heating. Worked right decently, with a little practice...
These days, I have a table top vac former (all in one unit used by dentists) obtained through MicroMark, which works great for doing canopies. So I'd vote for having bucks too.

One question, are you adding the ribbing detail on the engine "cans"?

Regards, Rober

I got a pretty nice frame system from a guy on Etsy. I clamp it in, heat in the oven, then use the hoover for suction. It works quite nicely. I do want to get one of those dental ones though.
The bucks will definitely be included and I will most likely include a printable canopy file for those that want to go that route.

I will be adding the ribbing as part of the ‘super-detailing’ as my friend likes to call it! Plenty of engine details to add :) I am currently working on the interior parts for the nose gunner and cockpit. Had a busy week on an away job so haven’t had much to post. Now I’m home for the weekend I can get the nose gunner position finished and share the photos!

I have been working slowly this week due to the above mentioned away work, but I have the nose gunner seat mostly done. It is hollowed so you'll be able to wire up the various lights and the main targeting panel. I added a bit more realistic looking cushions and will add some greebles here and there to detail, but I think this bit is mostly done. I just need to do the control panels at the sides and the rear wall, then the nose gunner position is done.

I'd love to hear any thoughts or critiques, I'm always trying to improve things!

Nose Gunner Seat 1.png

Nose Gunner Seat 2.png

Nose Gunner Seat 3.png

Nice! Here are some of my reference images in case they might be useful. One nice feature is that you can see down into the turret from the cockpit.
front turret 2.png
COCKPIT FROM FRONT TURRET.png
COCKPIT FRONT FACING.png

Attachments

• front turret 5y.png
    front turret 5y.png
    712.7 KB · Views: 53
  • front turret.png
    front turret.png
    709.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Ghost_Cockpit_Concept_Art_2.png
    Ghost_Cockpit_Concept_Art_2.png
    151.2 KB · Views: 75
Made a little more Progress on the nose gunner position today. The back wall, doorway, and side consoles are shaped out and that largely completes the base parts of this section. The detailing needs to be done though. Ideally I would like to have photoetch made for the console lighting, like the Paragrafix set for the Millenium Falcon, but I will also make holes through the resin part in the appropriate places to light it up. That I wont do until the decals for the consoles are done so they can line up perfectly.
I will add the various pipes, cables, and greeblies to detail out this area.

Hope you all like it! The cockpit is next :)

Nose Gunner Seat 4.png

Nose Gunner Seat 5.png

That looks very good! Note that the cockpit floor is just above the top of the turret hatch aka 'door'... kinda low head room. You can just see that relationship in the 'front turret.png' image I posted earlier. Makes sense, looking at this view of the cargo bay 'balcony' where the cockpit ladder comes down outside the turret hatch (view of ladder is blocked by the wall mounted 'box' greeblie on the right side):
cargo bay 6.png

The above also shows how the turret 'floor' is mounted on a center 'post' so the cross section is more like a "T" and is not solid (you can see through the turret 'glass' under the turret floor.)
Better view of the hatch and cockpit floor bulkhead:

CARGO BAY 5.png

Cheers!
Regards, Robert

Last edited:
Thank you Robert, I can lower the cockpit floor with no problem at this stage. I think I also made the overhang a little too long. The area you show in the pictures will largely be invisible in the assembled model. I will be adding the cargo bay, just in how much detail is a question to be asked. Would people want it, even if it is mostly unseen? I think a lot of the hidden space behind the wall might be needed for wiring.

The above also shows how the turret 'floor' is mounted on a center 'post' so the cross section is more like a "T" and is not solid (you can see through the turret 'glass' under the turret floor.)
Better view of the hatch and cockpit floor bulkhead:

Cheers!
Regards, Robert
I did notice that, and the width of the 'pedestal' was a bit more of a 3D printing conceit. I can narrow that, but I would have to make the floor a bit thicker to make sure it prints well. I think that may look better though.

I really appreciate your help with this project, it has been invaluable!

EDIT:

I reworked the door and the turret seat pedestal, and I think it looks a bit better. I hope you like it rbeach84 :)

Reworked Nose Gunner Door.png

Last edited:
I loved star wars rebels all the shows was cool I didn't like the way the counsel did asoka of course that was on clone wars but she was there in some of the shows rebels I built the walker out on the flats hunting the joopa worm using zeb for bait there are many more I need to watch but just no time to I had a small dicast of the ship but a grandboy grabed it up one day I would like to try a build of this ship keep it going Great work

I loved star wars rebels all the shows was cool I didn't like the way the counsel did asoka of course that was on clone wars but she was there in some of the shows rebels I built the walker out on the flats hunting the joopa worm using zeb for bait there are many more I need to watch but just no time to I had a small dicast of the ship but a grandboy grabed it up one day I would like to try a build of this ship keep it going Great work
Thank you kermet :) I’m a fan of the show too and I love this ship.

Sorry there hasn’t been any updates for a bit. I am working away from home and haven’t had the time to do more. I return home tomorrow though and will get the cockpit done over the weekend I hope!

Of course, with any creative process, there is ebb and flow. Only natural...
Doing a great job, Curious!
R/ Robert ;^)

PS: there is a Rebels 'birthday cake topper' plastic version of the Ghost that comes out at 1/350 scale, or nearly dead on, that can be added into any 1/350 scale collection, even as a place holder for a more detailed version. I'm looking for a picture on the web, as my copy is stashed somewhere in the pile with other SciFi projects, I'm certain... it is apparently approx. 5x4 inches (lengthxwidth):
Cake topper Ghost

Last edited:
I'm not much of a modeler, but The Ghost is my absolute favorite ship in SW, so I've been lurking here admiring the work while trying to talk myself into trying a kit at some point.

Anyways, reason I'm chiming in now is, I just saw the new LEGO Ghost that's being released for AHSOKA, & it's looked like they've moved the ramp from the front of the ship to the port side. I'm not sure if this is the case for the show as well, but I can't imagine why the LEGO would have done that otherwise.

Screenshot_20230713-223834.png

Not that it would impact the work being done here, but since most seem to be huge fans, I thought I'd share the info.

Of course, with any creative process, there is ebb and flow. Only natural...
Doing a great job, Curious!
R/ Robert ;^)

PS: there is a Rebels 'birthday cake topper' plastic version of the Ghost that comes out at 1/350 scale, or nearly dead on, that can be added into any 1/350 scale collection, even as a place holder for a more detailed version. I'm looking for a picture on the web, as my copy is stashed somewhere in the pile with other SciFi projects, I'm certain... it is apparently approx. 5x4 inches (lengthxwidth):
Cake topper Ghost

That cake topper is really good considering what it's for! I have the one for the X-Wing Miniatures game and that is quite a nice little model too. Not sure on scale though.

I did want to ask you Robert for any shots or details you might have of the cockpit interior as that is my next thing to work on. Also would you want the cockpit door to be open and the corridor behind visible?

I'm not much of a modeler, but The Ghost is my absolute favorite ship in SW, so I've been lurking here admiring the work while trying to talk myself into trying a kit at some point.

Anyways, reason I'm chiming in now is, I just saw the new LEGO Ghost that's being released for AHSOKA, & it's looked like they've moved the ramp from the front of the ship to the port side. I'm not sure if this is the case for the show as well, but I can't imagine why the LEGO would have done that otherwise.

View attachment 1719159

Not that it would impact the work being done here, but since most seem to be huge fans, I thought I'd share the info.

It looks like for the size of the kit they weren't able to fit the ramp under the front turret and went for a 'Falcon' style ramp. It would be a major modification to the ship to have the entryway there. We'll see when the show comes out :)

Thank you as well, the Ghost is a wonderful ship and a design I've loved since I first saw Rebels. This will be available as a kit once finished. I also do full commissions too if you wanted a fully pre-built one.

CS, I have a few cockpit views.
COCKPIT FRONT FACING.png
Cockpit with corridor.png
COCKPIT.png

Including the passageway with an open hatch may present some serioud printing support problems (?). It would be cool, but since that view goes all the way past the ladder to the turrent and to the hatch to the 'common space', I'd say it will require some serious thought. You could do it and have the 'celing' of that space separate as a hatch part but it might same some resin (from the unneeded honeycombing) to have that as a void instead of as 'solid' area. Of course, you also have to model the details of the space, which are forunately a lot of 'cloned' features (doors, power 'conduit' boxes, etc.)
corridor to cockpit.png
corridor to cockpit 2.png

Here's what the far end would look like, at the 'cross corridor juncion' from the main passage and the airlock corridors, with the 'common/galley' space behind the closed hatch:
up to not sure turret top.png

Nice how you can see where there are hatches by the 'red, white, blue' button pads adjacent... ha!
R/ Robert

Including the passageway with an open hatch may present some serioud printing support problems (?). It would be cool, but since that view goes all the way past the ladder to the turrent and to the hatch to the 'common space', I'd say it will require some serious thought. You could do it and have the 'celing' of that space separate as a hatch part but it might same some resin (from the unneeded honeycombing) to have that as a void instead of as 'solid' area. Of course, you also have to model the details of the space, which are forunately a lot of 'cloned' features (doors, power 'conduit' boxes, etc.)
Thanks for the shots! I think I’ve got the general layout down now.

The corridor wouldn’t be much of a problem printing wise. I would print it as a separate part to be attached to the back of the cockpit wall with supports attaching it to the hull. It would be a pain for lighting as there as a fair few in there. It would look cool but be largely invisible in the finished model.
I may design it as an optional extra for anyone who would want it. I would limit it to the stretch just before the hatch to the upper turret ladder I think.

I will be adding the cargo processing area though as that is very visible and I want to make the front hatch open.

Thanks for the shots! I think I’ve got the general layout down now.

The corridor wouldn’t be much of a problem printing wise. I would print it as a separate part to be attached to the back of the cockpit wall with supports attaching it to the hull. It would be a pain for lighting as there as a fair few in there. It would look cool but be largely invisible in the finished model.
I may design it as an optional extra for anyone who would want it. I would limit it to the stretch just before the hatch to the upper turret ladder I think.

I will be adding the cargo processing area though as that is very visible and I want to make the front hatch open.
So, you could just close the hatch forward of the ladder, or is that what you meant? Perhaps have the hatch as a separate piece (could then also be used to close the cockpit hatch if desired to not include the passageway...), then if anyone wanted to 'go further' it wouldn't be a big deal, the 'open hatch' would already be integral along with a closed hatch to use at any of the three positions going aft.
What do you think?
Cheers!
R/ Robert
PS: I also just noticed that while the 'hatch' door is the same, the frame aroung the hatches differs, as visible in the above images. For example, the hatch to the common room has two diagonal extensions at the bottom that the cockpit frame does not. Odd.
Ah, also just noticed that the common room hatch appears to be wider for some reason... so apparently, the cockpit hatch is the only narrow one along that passageway, as the view above looking aft from the cockpit show, the hatch before the ladder is the same as the common room - at least in that particular view! I'm sure the show could have suffered continuity errors as well as any other show (ever made!)

Last edited:
So, you could just close the hatch forward of the ladder, or is that what you meant? Perhaps have the hatch as a separate piece (could then also be used to close the cockpit hatch if desired to not include the passageway...), then if anyone wanted to 'go further' it wouldn't be a big deal, the 'open hatch' would already be integral along with a closed hatch to use at any of the three positions going aft.
What do you think?
Cheers!
R/ Robert
PS: I also just noticed that while the 'hatch' door is the same, the frame aroung the hatches differs, as visible in the above images. For example, the hatch to the common room has two diagonal extensions at the bottom that the cockpit frame does not. Odd.
Ah, also just noticed that the common room hatch appears to be wider for some reason... so apparently, the cockpit hatch is the only narrow one along that passageway, as the view above looking aft from the cockpit show, the hatch before the ladder is the same as the common room - at least in that particular view! I'm sure the show could have suffered continuity errors as well as any other show (ever made!)
Yes, I believe we're on the same page. I was going to do the corridor to the closed door in this shot you provided;
corridor to cockpit 2.png

This would give enough to be seen beyond the cockpit, any further would basically be invisible.

I will include the cockpit hatch for those who want it though. I had never noticed the differences! Thanks for pointing them out, haha.
I am slowly doing some more, got a figure painting commission to do this weekend so it's been slowing things down, plus I have a 1/32 X-Wing to get finished at some point!

Hello! I am building my own CG model of the Ghost and I stumbled upon this awesome thread! You mentioned you're leaning towards the Rebels animated version but you want to detail the ship as if it were a live action show, Does that mean you're going to model the greebles (as seen in Rogue One) as well? I've already started ID'ing the kitbash parts as most of them are from the Millenium Falcon

Hello! I am building my own CG model of the Ghost and I stumbled upon this awesome thread! You mentioned you're leaning towards the Rebels animated version but you want to detail the ship as if it were a live action show, Does that mean you're going to model the greebles (as seen in Rogue One) as well? I've already started ID'ing the kitbash parts as most of them are from the Millenium Falcon
Oh that’s awesome! I imagined they would use a lot of Falcon parts to make things easier. I was going to go a bit creative for it. I have a lot of greeblie packs I can draw from to help.
I wasn’t aware the Rogue One model had any close up enough shots to use to ID parts?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back