Original Golden Idol from Raiders here...

1080p screenshots. Looks like gold eyes to me here. And a solid bottom, not sure if that was debated, but I thought I heard it at one point.

Alright, shoot me now. I just got into the Indy films and I have a craving for a good idol replica. Anyone know where I can get one that I can have plated? How much does plating cost?

I just got into the Indy films
Blasphemy!

The 1080p screencaps above would not be using the same idol as the one we see on the pedestal. You can easily see the back is not cut. The cut idol was most likely only used for the two, quick, three second shots while it was on the pedestal. That was also shot in England. The one Belloq holds up was shot in Kauai and I doubt very much they'd use the idol with the real eyes and cut out back because the back was only held together by two magnets. It would have also been much more fragile a piece to keep using for other shots where it would be handled. I would have to think they'd use another casting of the same idol but without the cut out back and eye mechanism. To me it just looks like they took another idol with the real eyes, had them set in place as they are on Brandons idol and plated the whole thing. It looks like it has real eyes but they're just plated over.

Last edited:
haha I know! I've seen them all before but when I was very little. I was at Wal-mart yesterday, saw the new Adventure Collection, and bought it on a whim. I've already had an Indy marathon and watched all three in a row on an HD upconvert. VERY cool. So now, where's an idol to jumpstart my indy collection?!

Blasphemy!

The 1080p screencaps above would not be using the same idol as the one we see on the pedestal. You can easily see the back is not cut. The cut idol was most likely only used for the two, quick, three second shots while it was on the pedestal. That was also shot in England. The one Belloq holds up was shot in Kauai and I doubt very much they'd use the idol with the real eyes and cut out back because the back was only held together by two magnets. It would have also been much more fragile a piece to keep using for other shots where it would be handled. I would have to think they'd use another casting of the same idol but without the cut out back and eye mechanism. To me it just looks like they took another idol with the real eyes, had them set in place as they are on Brandons idol and plated the whole thing. It looks like it has real eyes but they're just plated over.
Bingo. :thumbsup

Perhaps I can clear some of this up...and allow all of you to further this debate.

The two idols in the archives ARE original. One has glass eyes, one doesn't. They are hollow fiberglass castings. The one with the glass eyes has a detachable back, with the seam running along the hairline and the back ridge. It has the bar inside as shown in the pics already posted, as well as the magnetic "latching" mechanism.

When I first started at the archives in 1988, the glass eye version (GE) was in similar condition to the one pictured in the Prop Store images. It was broken as well...as a matter of fact, had someone shown me those photos out of context, I would say they were taken in the late 80s of the GE Idol in the archives.

In 1993, Hata International launched an exhibit in Japan of many of the items in the archives. It wasn't limited to Star Wars; it included Indiana Jones, Willow, Tucker...and even Howard the Duck. As part of that exhibit, they paid for an extensive restoration effort for about 200 items. By that point in time, many things were quite neglected. The two idols were restored then.

For the restoration, both were stripped of the remaining gold plating (it looked like vacuum-metalizing to me); the broken bits were glued back together, and everything sanded smooth to make it look good...perhaps too good. It did look much too clean and not like the original once it came back from the VM, in my opinion.

The Lucasfilm Archive book that has been published was actually the exhibit catalog, written originally in Japanese. Since the two idols, C-3P0 and the Ark were out being VM'd at the time, we couldn't photograph them for the catalog. Hence, there is no photo of 3P0 in the book; a photo of the second damaged, non-restored Ark; and a photo of a casting of the Idol spray painted gold. This Idol was actually a present to Mr. Hata for organizing the exhibit.

Since I can confirm two versions of the idol exist, I think it still leaves the door open to debate as to whether or not the Hawaiian scenes has eyes or not. It was always my opinion that it didn't, and I don't think those screen grabs are conclusive evidence that there are glass eyes in there. The eyes are ill fitting in the one in the archives; there's tiny gaps between the eyes and the lids. I don't see that same fit in the Hawaii scene, nor is there much evidence of the seam line to get those eyes in there. There does appear to be a pupil, but that could've been painted on. Given my experience with 3P0 and the reflective issues the gold VM creates, it could be some odd reflection, but it wouldn't be consistent. My opinion is that they're gold eyes with painted pupils...but that's my opinion.

Let the debate continue...

--Don Bies

As always, I love hearing your stories that fill in the gaps. You were at the Archives during the "Star Wars dark ages" of the 1990s, and it's always really a treat to connect the dots from where things went/ended up/changed. Thanks!

Don, thanks for the background information. There is obviously no way we would have ever had come close in speculating the truth out of how this one was so pristine !

On another note, it solves the question in my head how the Ark was metalized too !

haha I know! I've seen them all before but when I was very little. I was at Wal-mart yesterday, saw the new Adventure Collection, and bought it on a whim. I've already had an Indy marathon and watched all three in a row on an HD upconvert. VERY cool. So now, where's an idol to jumpstart my indy collection?!

The best and ONLY screen accurate idol is the Gobler idol. It is cast from a ILM casting and is vaccumetalized by the same company that did the original Raiders idols. They run $500 when Jeff amkes them or $650 on Ebay when they come up. To date only 22 have been made.

If you bought a raw cast idol and had it vaccumetalized it would cost about $50 for the idol and about $400-$500 for the metalization. If you got it gold plated, you're talking about $600-$700.

Here is my Gobler idol...

IMG_4188.jpg

I can vouch for that, Jeff makes a really spiffy idol and anyone with one these in their collection can be very proud of its correctness in build and the heritage it shares with the real deal.

As part of that exhibit, they paid for an extensive restoration effort for about 200 items. By that point in time, many things were quite neglected. The two idols were restored then.

For the restoration, both were stripped of the remaining gold plating (it looked like vacuum-metalizing to me); the broken bits were glued back together, and everything sanded smooth to make it look good...perhaps too good. It did look much too clean and not like the original once it came back from the VM, in my opinion.

Validation can be sweet! ;)

Looks almost TOO good...

Don,
Thanks for chiming in on this one. I've been studying and attempting to get as much info on Raiders as possible for over a decade now. It's always refreshing to hear info like the good stuff you posted. Your insight and knowledge is always welcome and very well appreciated.

There was a theory for many years that the idol seen in the book was a stunt idol, hence the reason why it was painted, not plated. You've put that story to rest now, so thank you. I've also often wondered why that broken Ark made it into the book in that shape and you've cleared that up too. That's the same Ark that was used in the Star Wars 10th anniversary exhibit in Los Angeles, 1987 at the Stouffer Concourse Hotel as well, right? I have several pics from that exhibit and the Ark was in pretty bad shape even back then. I was surprised to see it out in the open, without any protective glass.

I've heard the story before about the Japanese exhibit and the reason that particular idol made it into the archives book, but I've always wondered why the frown on the mouth came into be as is seen on that idol? Are you saying there were idols with that frowned down mouth made for the production which were then later used to make the idol seen in the book? I'd heard a story that the idol that made it into the book was damaged and then restored with the mouth resculpted with the different mouth. Do you recall if that was the case or if the idol with the frowned mouth was initially made for the production of Raiders back in 1980?

Of course it goes without saying that if you have any pics you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd be delighted to see any of the Raiders stuff mentioned in this thread. Always on the look out for ANY and all Raiders related material.

Last edited:
Don, (since you DID open this for further discussion! ;) )...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the "gold painted version" in the archives book have the turned-down corners of the mouth.

Would that introduce additional versions, beyond just two (glass eyes versus gold eyes)?

Are there any budget minded versions of the idol available to those of us without large disposable incomes?
Yeah, but they're mostly crap. If you want a wall stuffer then they're fine, but if you want something good you have to pay for it. Ebay will satisfy you either way. Just be patient and you'll get what you're after and make sure to stay away from anything from ReelArt. You've been warned.

I second Goblers idol as the best fan made idol ever.
2319089127_a1fb429618.jpg

Last edited:
If you bought a raw cast idol and had it vaccumetalized it would cost about $50 for the idol and about $400-$500 for the metalization.

That's a sweet idol, but I'm pretty sure gold vac-metalization for something that big wouldn't be anywhere that expensive. That's not to say that the $500 price for the one offered isn't fair, because I think it is given what you get. :)

ps. I thought there was a version of the idol with gold eyes, but with the pupils drilled out. That's what it looks like in the shots from Hawaii.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back