Original Return of the Jedi Stormtrooper Helmet

JoeR

Sr Member
I was lucky enough to pick this helmet up over the weekend. It came from an extra who worked on the set at Elstree. It is finished inside and has the chinstraps and liner, but has no decals nor painted areas. The lenses and trims are all original. It is in exceptional condition considering it is as old as me!

Click for bigger pics.

Joe

Not another one :)

Nice score Joe. I would bet there are quite a few unpainted lids standing right in the back of that death star scene in ROTJ :lol.

The condition looks fantastic that Elstree extra really took care of this :thumbsup

Superb

Chris

I am of the mind that is not actually an original helmet, but rather a replica that you've made of the original you had before you sold it.

A lot of people are aware that you make molds of it and planned to produce replicas, including he people at propstore who I'm sure could back this up.

I am of the mind that is not actually an original helmet, but rather a replica that you've made of the original you had before you sold it.

A lot of people are aware that you make molds of it and planned to produce replicas, including he people at propstore who I'm sure could back this up.

Nice comments Gino, thank you.

This has been authenticated by people who know more about originals than both of us. It actually went via Propstore before I even knew about it.

You have never handled an original have you?

It would be interesting to know what you think is wrong with it. Jez who has handled over 10 original helmets (Gino having handled 0/zero) has matched numerous tells, to other originals, tells that even I was unaware of.

Can you take your jealous BS elsewhere and stop ruining my thread?

Joe

im not a trooper lid expert at all so can i ask why it does not have any decals or painter areas?

just curious

z

Hi guys,

I began researching this helmet a few months ago. While I have not seen it in person, I have seen a number of photos different/better than those posted here.

Everything I have seen on the piece is consistent with other Jedi helmets I have seen in person, aside from the obvious missing paint and decals.

I have been researching the possibility that such a helmet could have been used as a deep background piece on the docking bay in Jedi. I have found evidence of one helmet without the rear decals, but no evidence thus far of one without the frown/front decals.

Also, I believe a theory was put forth at one point that all the Jedi helmets used in the UK had foam linings and those used in the US had the hard hat linings. I have also now seen evidence of the hard hat linings being used in the UK. I can't explain the differences between the two linings used in the film. Perhaps they simply ran out of hard hat liners at some point.

Regards,
Brandon

Thank you for the factual comments Brandon. I have heard theories about a cut scene involving a trooper welding, but I have yet to substantiate this.

Joe

I have another post where I'm going to address Joe, but I wanted to get this out first.

Actually Brandon there are two distinct types of ROTJ trooper helmet used in ROTJ.

They are both used side by side so I don't think their differences are accounted to their locale in the film. More likely they were just finished at different times or by a different team. It is possible that some of the ESB helmets were raided for some of their accessories (ie mic tips, decals, foam) to be used on the style #1 helmets.
Of course none of these differences were intentional or meant to be noticed.

ROTJ trooper helmet style #1
Features:
- hovi mix mic tips
- anh/esb style earcaps
- star foam in the interior
- decals identical to those used in ESB

ROTJ trooper helmet style #2
- machined metal mic tips (slightly different style than hovi mix)
- new wonky looking earcaps (look like they were re-made)
- hard hat liner
- decals based off the ESB style, but black lines are are thinner (you can tell these were made to match, but still ended up coming out differently). Also, tube stripe decals have the white border on the edges.

There are a couple other minor differing features but that is the bulk of it.

Gino

I really don't care anymore...

You have achieved your aim of attacking my character in your traditional style

You have heard Brandon's/Steve's/Jez's comments.

Joe

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back